• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New car for an upwardly mobile young professional

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you really expect to be upwardly mobile, why not lease? You can afford more car for your monthly payment, and if you really expect to be in a different financial situation in three or four years, you can toss the keys back and not have to worry about all the pitfalls of trading in/selling a used car.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
If you really expect to be upwardly mobile, why not lease? You can afford more car for your monthly payment, and if you really expect to be in a different financial situation in three or four years, you can toss the keys back and not have to worry about all the pitfalls of trading in/selling a used car.

+1

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
+2, lease a BMW 335 coupe and be like everyone else who is upwardly mobile

Someone here suggested the 3-series may not be high on reliability.

Ben85

Reaction score
If you are on here asking for an opinion on what car to buy/lease, you probably don't have a clue about them. Stick to something reliable and reasonable on gas. Some of the BMWs that people seem to love because of the badge take premium fuel, and that **** gets expensive quick. You should be reading automotive magazines and such, instead of taking advise from people who probably know as little as you. When it comes to dropping 40,000+ on a car. I'd take a high end Subaru over an entry level luxury car that blends in to ******* everything. You could also take the awesome route, get an Ariel Atom and do this to your face. Plus, that would rip chicks shirts off in 3 seconds. <--------------
ariel_atom.jpg

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLSAMG
Why do "professionals" even buy low-rent economy cars anymore?

Aren't luxury cars in the reach of everyone now? Even poors can afford German cars. I always see advertising of leases for brand new entry-level BMW, Audi, and Mercedes for something ridiculously cheap like $400 per month. Lease one of those.

Oh, hai. Welcome from xoxohth.com. How's law school?

Ben85

Reaction score
Why do "professionals" even buy low-rent economy cars anymore?

Aren't luxury cars in the reach of everyone now? Even poors can afford German cars. I always see advertising of leases for brand new entry-level BMW, Audi, and Mercedes for something ridiculously cheap like $400 per month. Lease one of those.

I don't see why you would buy an entry level car when you could spend that money on a different make of car and get more options and probably more power. Or do you need the badge to make your little dick feel bigger?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ben85
I don't see why you would buy an entry level car when you could spend that money on a different make of car and get more options and probably more power. Or do you need the badge to make your little dick feel bigger?

Makes sense. Nowadays a good mid-level or top-level Nissan/Honda/Toyota will give you more options and features than an entry-level BMW or Benz. However you would need other ways of enhancing ********* size :)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do people deal with sloppy handling and merging onto hwy's with such slow pos? It was night and day from the effortless merging of AMG all while being massaged by drive-dynamic multi-contour seats.
sarcasm.gif

I thought (another thread) you had a driver? I just tell mine ... make it go fast ... and it happens.
Actually I prefer to drive myself (except in New York) ... and I love making it go fast. It is German.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to judge for self what is value of safety vs one's health (post-crash surgeries and disabilities are more costly than any car).

German luxury cars are damn cheap form of health insurance; after all, driving is one's riskiest daily activity and they are the safest cars if ever in collision.

Would rather be in a new Mercedes w/full safety options than any low-rent pos Kia or Toyota with their paperbag grade interiors and puny brakes.

I drove a Toyota rental once and almost died. How do people deal with sloppy handling and merging onto hwy's with such slow pos? It was night and day from the effortless merging of AMG all while being massaged by drive-dynamic multi-contour seats.
sarcasm.gif

You're an idiot. You also appear to be posting from 1990 which is, admittedly, kind of cool.

Ben85

Reaction score
Need to judge for self what is value of safety vs one's health (post-crash surgeries and disabilities are more costly than any car). German luxury cars are damn cheap form of health insurance; after all, driving is one's riskiest daily activity and they are the safest cars if ever in collision. Would rather be in a new Mercedes w/full safety options than any low-rent pos Kia or Toyota with their paperbag grade interiors and puny brakes. I drove a Toyota rental once and almost died. How do people deal with sloppy handling and merging onto hwy's with such slow pos? It was night and day from the effortless merging of AMG all while being massaged by drive-dynamic multi-contour seats.
sarcasm.gif

You sir, are incorrect. I think you are comparing a 100,000 S class to a 14,000 Kia. No **** the Benz is gonna be safer. But you definitely need to do some research on today's modern cars. Sure a 14" ceramic disc is better than a 10" steel rotor, but that ceramic disc is worth the price of that base model Kia. When you climb down off your high horse, give this a quick once over. It's from 2007 but still, the info speaks for itself. http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...815_088045.htm Here's the entire article in case you don't want to click the link. The budget-minded Kia Amanti isn't adorned with luxury features like a navigation system or a leather-wrapped interior, but in a serious collision it could protect passengers better than cars nearly twice its price. That was one of the findings released Aug. 16 by the Arlington (Va.) nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This round of crash tests, which measured protection during side-impact collisions, was originally intended to compare large luxury sedans. But because of the timing of the Amanti's launch, IIHS researchers hadn't yet given the budget car a side evaluation. So they decided to see what would happen when the Amanti squared off against five cars comparable in size, but all priced above $38,000: the Volvo S80, Acura RL, Mercedes E-Class, Cadillac STS, and BMW 5 Series. During the test, each car was hit on the driver's side by a barrier moving 31 mph, an impact that's supposed to simulate a sport-utility vehicle striking between the driver and rear passenger. Researchers measured structural damage, as well as possible head injuries to the driver and rear passenger. They then assigned each car a rating of good, acceptable, marginal, or poor. Encouraging Improvement Three cars received the highest rating: the Volvo S80, Acura (HMC) RL, and Kia Amanti. No carmaker received the lowest rating, but the Mercedes E-Class and Cadillac (GM) STS were rated acceptable. In perhaps the biggest shocker of the test, the BMW 5 Series was deemed marginal. In an ironic twist, BMW, known for its engineering prowess, was the first carmaker to introduce head-protecting side-impact air bags, in the 5 Series in 1998. (lol, at Mercedes and BMW being worse than KIA) The purpose of the crash tests, says IIHS President Adrian Lund, is to give companies like BMW the chance to better themselves. "When they make improvements, the automakers can request a retest," says Lund. "And we do update our ratings whenever there's a design change." In the 12 years the IIHS has conducted frontal crash tests, this carrot-on-a-stick approach has been effective: Nearly all cars have a good rating, as opposed to about 50% in 1995. Lund and his team of researchers hope to do the same for side-impact safety, which has become a greater issue of concern since the roads have become populated with more SUVs and other taller vehicles. Kia (KIMTF) will surely celebrate its victory over three luxury cars, but the real winner of the test was the Volvo S80, which has now received a good rating in front-, side-, and rear-impact evaluations, earning it the IIHS Top Safety Pick award. And compared with the BMW (BMWG) and Mercedes (DCX) in the class—both at around $50,000 —the S80 will save customers more money while having a better chance at saving their life.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's nothing as pleasurable as a big fast German muscle car.
Well ... I can think of something ... but I don't discuss these things in public.
devil.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who values their safety would not drive anything less than a MB, BMW or Audi.

Or an Infiniti G (sorry to bust your bubble).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics