• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New car for an upwardly mobile young professional

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
/agree.
I know quite a few executives (even C-level) who actually are driving around in Hyundai Genesis' and the like.

Their net value? Minimum $10Million. Where'd the spend it? Instead of getting expensive ass suits and the like when they were young, they saved up, bought some property (not in the US) and now have desirable property that people would kill for.

Get a cheap new car. If you're "upwardly mobile" in about 5 years or so you'll have at least enough money for a down payment on an upgrade.

if you're truly a "upwardly mobile young professional" (seriously? LOL) it shouldn't matter what type of car you drive. Just be awesome at your job and your car wont' matter.

QFT.
teacha.gif

CHenry

Reaction score
A clean used SAAB with 30,000 miles on the odo or less would be a decent bet; they depreciate badly so the price on resale will be reasonable and they are also reliable. With the miles low enough, you should have some basic warranty left anyway, or go CPO. The important thing is to buy smart.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
if you're truly a "upwardly mobile young professional" (seriously? LOL) it shouldn't matter what type of car you drive. Just be awesome at your job and your car wont' matter.

+100.

Logan

Reaction score
I think every brand of car has been praised and hated on at least once in this thread. It's full of useless advice. Does the OP even post here anymore? Did he tell you what he bought? His Limit was $25,000 max, you idiots are recommending Audi and BMW, when you are spending $25,000 for the first time on a car you don't want to buy a used car. The car advise on this forum is idiotic, just like the people who ask for advise here. If you want proper advise on cars, check out automotive blogs and read a couple car magazines then do the most important thing, DRIVE the damn cars and find out what you like. I was lovin the Hyundai Genesis Coupe until I sat in it, not because of the fit and finish (which was nice BTW) but because I'm 6'2" and that car is for someone 5'10". Just goes to show, reading about the car can only take you so far. EDIT: His last post was #19 on the 2nd page. So how about we all STFU and let this thread die.
Originally Posted by ektaylor
I really should have added 'white' in there somewhere.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
I think every brand of car has been praised and hated on at least once in this thread. It's full of useless advice.

Does the OP even post here anymore? Did he tell you what he bought? His Limit was $25,000 max, you idiots are recommending Audi and BMW, when you are spending $25,000 for the first time on a car you don't want to buy a used car. The car advise on this forum is idiotic, just like the people who ask for advise here.

If you want proper advise on cars, check out automotive blogs and read a couple car magazines then do the most important thing, DRIVE the damn cars and find out what you like. I was lovin the Hyundai Genesis Coupe until I sat in it, not because of the fit and finish (which was nice BTW) but because I'm 6'2" and that car is for someone 5'10". Just goes to show, reading about the car can only take you so far.

EDIT: His last post was #19 on the 2nd page. So how about we all STFU and let this thread die.

Why not? Buying a used car is a totally valid option and it allows you to get something nicer for your money, frequently without much downside.

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
I think every brand of car has been praised and hated on at least once in this thread. It's full of useless advice.

Does the OP even post here anymore? Did he tell you what he bought? His Limit was $25,000 max, you idiots are recommending Audi and BMW, when you are spending $25,000 for the first time on a car you don't want to buy a used car. The car advise on this forum is idiotic, just like the people who ask for advise here.

If you want proper advise on cars, check out automotive blogs and read a couple car magazines then do the most important thing, DRIVE the damn cars and find out what you like. I was lovin the Hyundai Genesis Coupe until I sat in it, not because of the fit and finish (which was nice BTW) but because I'm 6'2" and that car is for someone 5'10". Just goes to show, reading about the car can only take you so far.

EDIT: His last post was #19 on the 2nd page. So how about we all STFU and let this thread die.

Does that matter? It is a generic question. If it were answered, over and done, there wouldn't be eleven pages of replies. And I hope no one reading would buy without trying out a car, new or used.

themathguy

Reaction score
If you're looking for pure flash... Cadillac XLR. [Though, finding one for 20k might be hard to do]

If you're looking for comfortable, Lexus LS/GS or BMW 5-series from 2001-2003 (use leftovers as maintenence funds).

If you're looking for a true Q-car, look for a 2001 Audi S8.

If you're looking for mid-tier, go for Infiniti G35/37 or Acura RL/TL.

If you're looking for cheap, Mazda 3.

And, of course If you're looking to be a d-bag, aim for a Bangle-ized 3-series BMW.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themathguy
If you're looking for pure flash... Cadillac XLR. [Though, finding one for 20k might be hard to do] If you're looking for comfortable, Lexus LS/GS or BMW 5-series from 2001-2003 (use leftovers as maintenence funds). If you're looking for a true Q-car, look for a 2001 Audi S8. If you're looking for mid-tier, go for Infiniti G35/37 or Acura RL/TL. If you're looking for cheap, Mazda 3. And, of course If you're looking to be a d-bag, aim for a Bangle-ized 3-series BMW.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads