• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Armoury Store in Tribeca

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No never. I didn't know they existed but I suppose you can get silly about anything - cars, guitars, watches, wine, cigars, coffee, thousand dollar trousers.

(I've never drank coffee and I've never been to Starbuck's!)

NMW1982

Reaction score
Yea, I think the Armoury is mainly targeting big timers for whom money is nothing more than a number. People who live in places like the new 432 Park building. It's difficult to make money from smaller timers like me who are worried about getting the best value for their money and have to actually think before making a purchase.

I've seen Chinese and Russian businessmen go shopping and they drop hundreds of thousands of dollars like it's loose change. It goes something like this:

Oh, I like these Gaziano & Girling shoes. I'd like to go bespoke and I'll take just 8 pairs for now. I also want the Ring jackets in every color you carry and throw in some shirts, ties and belts too.

These are the customers that the Armoury and every high end retailer wants and needs. Not customers who go, hmmm...should I buy this $700 pair of shoes? Let me think...let me save up and treat myself during Christmas...uh oh...I have to return these shoes. My wife is getting on my case.

Looking around the Armoury site, there's not a whole lot that interests me.

$760 for Carmina cordovan? Maybe

$1750 for Ring jacket linen suit? No (especially when you could get a custom from Chan for this)
$1300 for a linen navy jacket? No
$195 for Drakes ties? BIG No
$375 for denim? BIG No
$260 for Smedley merino knits? BIG no, they're selling these above retail

Then again, I have a well rounded wardrobe already, and I don't have unlimited funds

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if the Armoury carries jackets and suits that are a bit taller and fuller for the classic American build. Perhps Longs that are equal to a US regular in length?

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stopped by on Saturday and was delighted to see the ArmouryNYC crew and Mark. Was pretty packed so didn't get a chance to try some things on. Definitely saw a lot of 50+ sizes (jacket/suits). Many casual pieces such as Gimeno Tebas and Ring Jacket knits. Prices were fairly reasonable, imo.

JeffArmoury

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Stopped by on Saturday and was delighted to see the ArmouryNYC crew and Mark. Was pretty packed so didn't get a chance to try some things on. Definitely saw a lot of 50+ sizes (jacket/suits). Many casual pieces such as Gimeno Tebas and Ring Jacket knits. Prices were fairly reasonable, imo.

Hey Conrad,

Our apologies if you weren't able to try on everything that you would have liked to. If you find yourself downtown soon stop by and we'll make sure to set some time aside for you.

Jeff

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yea, I think the Armoury is mainly targeting big timers for whom money is nothing more than a number. People who live in places like the new 432 Park building. It's difficult to make money from smaller timers like me who are worried about getting the best value for their money and have to actually think before making a purchase.

I've seen Chinese and Russian businessmen go shopping and they drop hundreds of thousands of dollars like it's loose change. It goes something like this:

Oh, I like these Gaziano & Girling shoes. I'd like to go bespoke and I'll take just 8 pairs for now. I also want the Ring jackets in every color you carry and throw in some shirts, ties and belts too.

These are the customers that the Armoury and every high end retailer wants and needs. Not customers who go, hmmm...should I buy this $700 pair of shoes? Let me think...let me save up and treat myself during Christmas...uh oh...I have to return these shoes. My wife is getting on my case.

why so bitter?

NMW1982

Reaction score
Who says I'm bitter? I'm just pointing out that a lot of people on Styleforum have an inflated sense of self importance. Attempting to predict the success of a high end retailer based on whether you yourself would buy their goods. Well guess what? High end stores don't care about you unless you're one of their VIP and news flash, buying a few pairs of shoes, some suits and shirts don't make you a VIP! Especially when there are many people who buy 100 times this amount. :lol:

why so bitter?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's that word 'artisanal' again. Never heard or read it in my life outside of menswear retailers' blurbs.

Ambrosi making an appearance? Isn't that the bloke who ripped off Foo for ten grand's worth of strides? I hope they have bulletproof glass!:foo: + :fence::nest::stirpot::slapfight::deadhorse:

Long before I heard it in menswear, joining or superseding the terms "custom" and "bespoke", it usually referred to comestibles like cheese or rustic apparel
items made by crafts people and sold at arts or craft fairs. In other words, not refined.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Who says I'm bitter? I'm just pointing out that a lot of people on Styleforum have an inflated sense of self importance. Attempting to predict the success of a high end retailer based on whether you yourself would buy their goods. Well guess what? High end stores don't care about you unless you're one of their VIP and news flash, buying a few pairs of shoes, some suits and shirts don't make you a VIP! Especially when there are many people who buy 100 times this amount. :lol:

nope, I believe you were pointing out that the store is "mainly targeting big timers for whom money is nothing more than a number" which you then expounded on. don't wanna pick a fight, I'm just wondering
and I am definitely not one to defend the armoury but "guess what", I've been in their first store several times, and the most expensive item I bought from them is a pair of eyeglasses, and never once did I feel that they only serve the VIPs... as a matter of fact I find it great that they treat everyone like a VIP, even denim and t-shirt wearing folks like me

Long before I heard it in menswear, joining or superseding the terms "custom" and "bespoke", it usually referred to comestibles like cheese or rustic apparel
items made by crafts people and sold at arts or craft fairs. in other words, not refined.

and when that word finally loses its meaning thanks to all the marketing brouhaha, they'll find another word to make the products "special"... my bet's on "artificer" or "smith made" :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
items made by crafts people and sold at arts or craft fairs. In other words, not refined.
Terrific. Now I want a snack and an evening espresso.

Well, good luck to @JeffArmoury , @JakeArmoury , @yfyf and the rest of the lads (I've met Alan and Ethan, as well as Mark, is there anyone else?) I think that it will be fun to visit the store next time I'm in NYC.

JeffArmoury

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Armoury most certainly is not associated in any way with the Li & Fung group. Li & Fung do the exact opposite of what we do. They look for defunct brands with no underlying internal production and they turn it around as a brand-driven business. We specifically look for people and companies with outstanding design & production ability that reflect the personal taste of the people in the company.

And it's important for us to be attentive to EVERY customer that walks in, not just the VIPs. That's really the cornerstone of our business. That being said, if you know a few eccentric Russian billionaires that you'd like to pass our way we could probably teach them a thing or two about dressing.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the new store. I look forward to visiting it one day early next year.

NYC can certainly use a specialty menswear store geared towards classic tailored apparel. Hopefully it will result in more well dressed guys strutting around the city.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Armoury most certainly is not associated in any way with the Li & Fung group. [COLOR=222222]Li & Fung do the exact opposite of what we do. They look for defunct brands with no underlying internal production and they turn it around as a brand-driven business. We specifically look for people and companies with outstanding design & production ability that reflect the personal taste of the people in the company[/COLOR].

Interesting; I also thought I read somewhere that you were backed by them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads