• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
any predictions on the season?

I'm amazed at the fact that the Kings are basically the exact same team as last year. Coupled with a superb playoff run and the cup, I see a target on their back, but wouldn't be at all surprised if they maintained really strong play for a good chunk of the year.

The Pens and Rangers will be strong and the Flyers not far behind.

Hoping that the Sabres start and finish strong as opposed to merely finish strong and just out of a playoff spot. I think Ott for Roy was a good trade and will add the toughness they need.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Burke was the one standing ground to NOT trade for Luongo (or at least to get a better deal out of it), but the rest of MLSE wanted it done. So now looks like an even better chance of getting it done; especially if Dave Nonis (the GM who originally got Lu to Vancouver) steps in.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i wonder what the asking price is. Toronto could certainly use some more in net, but if there's no rush to move Luongo, Vancouver could just sit back until they get an offer they deem high enough.

Vancouver will probably come out on top reglardless of who is traded. Unless Schneider gets hurt or something.

Last edited:

corneliusparky

Reaction score
Luongo to Toronto would be sooooo hilarious. Take a guy who couldn't get Canucks the Cup (yeah I know it's not ALL on him but he did have some pretty spectacular blowout games against Boston and Chicago) and put him on a way crappier team....what could go wrong ?

Kings look really REALLY good for a repeat. Shortened schedule is extremely helpful and they are the same roster. If flower regains his playoff form I see Pens Kings final.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a guy who couldn't get Canucks the Cup (yeah I know it's not ALL on him but he did have some pretty spectacular blowout games against Boston and Chicago) and put him on a way crappier team....what could go wrong ?

Luongo is an all-star goaltender and one of the reasons why the Canucks made it to the finals. The Sedins and the Canucks fowards didn't show up when it counted, either.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't buy into the Kings hype - they won because everyone started playing really effin' good at the same time, most notably Quick who was an absolute monster. That and they were the one playoff team to not experience any injuries among their defense pairings if not their entire roster - combine that with a plug like Penner actually scoring goals and you have a Cup run. Not to mention Quick is coming off postseason surgery which may or may not mean anything... everyone is quick to remember their absolute playoff domination, but no one remembers when they were yet another abysmal middling team in the West mid-season. They beat an uninspired Canucks team, exposed the myth of Brian Elliot being a good goalie when they dismantled St. Louis (surprise surprise), and did short work of Phoenix in spite of heroics from Mike Smith which is about the only notable victory. New Jersey got taken to double OT in Game 7 by the Panthers who made it to the playoffs with a losing record. So, uh, yeah - don't buy the Kings hype.

+1 on Luongo being a good goalie. As much as I like to rip on him, he belongs in the league top 5 for sure... and you don't get blown out 7-0 in Boston if the team in front of you isn't sucking balls too. With that being said, whatever anyone pays for Luongo will be too much simply because he has that "elite" tag attached. Then again, if the Leafs manage to unload Kadri as a big part of the deal it will be a HUGE win for them. **** that arrogant snot-nosed underachieving pile of horseshit.

I wonder if Iggy will be headed elsewhere after this season in Calgary. The shortened season means good things for Kipper, since he won't have to do another ~70 games. I fail to see the logic in letting a needed centre in Jokinen walk and then overpaying an extraneous winger in Hudler, and while Wideman is certainly a nice addition I don't think he justifies his price tag. Good guy though, met him at a wedding this summer. The best thing about this offseason was the coaching change - I did like Sutter, but a change of scenery was needed. We'll see if Hartley does any good.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
hmmm

It appears that there's another team in the Roberto Luongo sweepstakes.

According to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post, hockey analyst and former NHL player Enrico Ciccone of TVA Sports, and confirmed by TSN's James Duthie on Twitter, the Philadelphia Flyers are interested in acquiring the services of the veteran goaltender.

Duthie tweeted that the Flyers have inquired about the Canucks goalie, and are in a position where they could buy out current netminder Ilya Bryzgalov in June.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413187

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welp, this looks like its the ideal year for the Rangers. In years past the team, and Lundqvist seemed to tire once the playoffs got going, but this shortened season would appear to be ideal for them. If they stay healthy I see them running through the East easily. The Ilsnaders picked a crummy year to make the announcement for the move. I'll def be out to NC to catch a few games this year though.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As opposed to Toronto, Philly actually has some great prospects and younger players that any team would be interested in as opposed to a mishmash of middling, kinda-good players. If Richards and Carter aren't safe in Philly, could we see Couturier in a Nucks jersey?

If I was dealing Luongo I would much much much rather be dealing with Philly.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gave up on the NHL hate; no point, really. GF is taking me to see a game for my birthday, unfortunately the only viable game is Oilers vs Red Wings. Who is a Flames fan to cheer for? At least my girlfriend can stare at Taylor Hall all night... ugh. It will be great to see all the hype around Edmonton's youngsters in person though.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gave up on the NHL hate; no point, really. GF is taking me to see a game for my birthday, unfortunately the only viable game is Oilers vs Red Wings. Who is a Flames fan to cheer for? At least my girlfriend can stare at Taylor Hall all night... ugh. It will be great to see all the hype around Edmonton's youngsters in person though.

From Calgary? Edmontonian here; could be a fun season as an Oilers fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads