• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

to be fair, you don't really have any alternatives. i think every fan of a canadian hockey team finds every other canadian team quite distasteful, with the exception of everyone having to pick a side between montreal / toronto.

I don't know, man, I think it's a little more complicated than that. A lot of us (including me) switched from Montreal or Toronto when Ottawa came along and the former Montreal fans (including me) retain some goodwill towards the franchise of their youth. Also, most of us have no beef with teams on the other side of the country. I know I cheer for Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton when they're not going up against the Sens. And pretty much all Canadians are happy to see Winnipeg back.

On the other hand, everyone hates the Leafs and delights in their perpetual suckage.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't really an issue of my team leaving, the Rangers will always be there, but I feel since the 94 Cup, they've alienated a lot of their working class fan base (as have most pro sports teams save the Mets in NYC). I'll still prob hope they do well, but I guess I just have a new "girlfriend". Combine that with the fact that the Isles are moving to MY TOWN, really made my decision easy. I would never root against a Brooklyn team, even if it were the Crankies. I know Marty Markowitz, I know Carlo Scicura (guys who were vital in helping to get the team here) plus I have a huge affection for anything "Brooklyn". I suppose it would be a lot like Sens fans who were once with TO or MTL, only difference is the Isles were always our #1 rival. I think that's what will give me a lot of grief with my friends who will remain Ranger fans. I just don't buy the whole "loyalty" because you always were a fan garbage. I feel teams need to work to keep their fan base, and think the Rangers weren't doing enough of that. I know a lot about the Isles organization (went to college at Hofstra, just across the street from the Coliseum) and know they do lots of community stuff and grassroots stuff. The stuff the Rangers do is great (Garden of Dreams etc...) but its way to expensive to participate in their events as a middle class fan.. I look fwd to doing more of that when the Isles come here because it will be more financially possible.

Last edited:

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was offered a fifth row seat to the fights the other night at the Barclays Center. I declined on principle. The Isles can move wherever they want - we all know who the most successful hockey team is in the New York City metro area ;)

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was offered a fifth row seat to the fights the other night at the Barclays Center. I declined on principle. The Isles can move wherever they want - we all know who the most successful hockey team is in the New York City metro area ;)

Successful muggings at the arena, or success on the ice? I keed, I keed...:D

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I completely understand what the poster formerly known as NYR is talking about. I live 10 miles from the Prudential Center and I'm psyched about taking my son, who is now six months old, to his first Devils game. It is nice to have the team be a part of the community and to have players that participate in making the community a better place.

And I fully agree about the teams having to work to keep their fans. I might have become a Brooklyn Nets fan, but for one incident. The CEO of the Nets was being interviewed on the radio once after it was announced that the team was moving to Brooklyn, but before they actually moved. He was asked whether he thought fans from New Jersey would continue to support the team after they left. His response was "Brooklyn has 2.5 million people. We don't need the current fans to follow the team to Brooklyn." I thought that was a big **** you to all the people in Jersey who supported the team over the years, and if the team does not want us or need us to support them, then I don't see any reason why we should.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The deadline for an 82-game season has passed. Bye bye November.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Now the newest artificial deadline is killing the Winter Classic. Apparently U of Michigan needs a $250K deposit by Friday. No Winter Classic would be a huge marketing opportunity lost for the NHL as next year the NCAA National Championship is going back to Jan 1 from what I understand. So hockey shares the spotlight with College Football - not a fair fight.

Here is an idea, maybe someone could ask Michigan if they can have an extension...crazy I know.

These non negotiations are classic Dumb and Dumber. They are about $2.5M per team apart on monies, get it done for the love of God.

dopeitsjosh

Reaction score
^^^ thats a bit disappointing since I was really hoping that the season would be back so that I could go to the winter classic. When I heard that the month of November games were cancelled, I had a feeling that, that could lead to the winter classic being canceled as well.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO]![/VIDEO]

If your day was going normal at all, this will fix that.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I was thinking about who I would get...thanks for the tip, always seemed an honest player too, though I do like Hamonik...and McGratton is an Islander once we start playing

hockey monkey has some iles pro jerseys for $129 + $50 for lettering. Not a bad deal at all.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big congrats to Sakic, Sundin, Oates and Bure for entering the Hockey HOF.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, NewYorkRanger NewYorkIslander, if you're getting season tickets for the Isles at the Barclays Center, I'm going to kindly suggest avoiding the top section. The slope of the seats is really sharp, and my wife promptly shot me a look of terror when we finally sat down.

8187969749_2d39e165e1_z.jpg

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

also, NewYorkRanger NewYorkIslander, if you're getting season tickets for the Isles at the Barclays Center, I'm going to kindly suggest avoiding the top section. The slope of the seats is really sharp, and my wife promptly shot me a look of terror when we finally sat down.
8187969749_2d39e165e1_z.jpg

Ha, we've put down our deposit...will try and get top section center ice. Nothing could be worse than the old Brendan Byrn Arena for upper level slope. I also ordered my first jersey (Hockey Monkey thanks) and will get it customized at Gerry Cosbys with teh pro size tackle twill. Thinking Brooklyn 15 would be applicable. Now just to change my moniker on here.:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads