• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my suit

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I picked up a suit yesterday from h&m, quite inexpensively. I don't wear suits. I have owned them in the past, but they were never right. I would really like to wear them more often, as I work in a field where I do not have to wear a suit, but am expected to look good. It is a navy single breasted with very faint french blue pinstripe. Go into this, I had said I didn't want pinstripes, but this suit struck me. They ar faint enough that they are difficult to see from more than a couple of feet in normal light, but the color lends an interesting detail. Of course the trousers need to be shortened quite a bit, and the sleeves a little.
_MG_6643.jpg

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I picked up a suit yesterday from h&m, quite inexpensively. I don't wear suits. I have owned them in the past, but they were never right.

You haven't lost the knack.

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
A nice suit, slim fitting, sems to fit you fine. Well done, enjoy it!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First: you are slim and the suit fits and fits slim, so you'll look very smart in the eyes of 99% of the people. That's already a really big lot.
Plus, you are right on track with shortening the trousers and the arms. The sleeves might be a bit difficult, to me it looks like they needed so much shortening that you had to move the bottom button. No big deal, but might cost you a little extra.

Second: this is a fashion-forward suit, with all it's defaults. I don't think that the narrow lapel looks good, but more importantly, what would really put me off is the low rise of the trousers. These aren't jeans.
Again, probably noone will notice this, but it's something that would bother me personally a lit.

Third: are you wearing a dark tee under a white shirt? If so, I'd advise to never do so again. Most shirt fabrics aren't thick enough to hide the colour of the undershirt. If you wear a white shirt, also wear a white tee under it. It will also look better when you see bits of it at the collar. (Not that this should happen at all, but sometimes it just does.)

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Difficult to see the end of your pants but I suppose you need to shorten them. And yes, the sleeves needs to be a little shorter. Other than this, the suit looks great on you. I had no idea one could get such a suit from H&M. Now, accompany with a pair of polo brown suede Oxfords, a nice shirt with spread collar, and a colorful handkerchief. You'll be the king out there.

item1x.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpg

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the slim fit is fine. It won't be appropriate in most job settings, but it has its moments.

The shoulders seem big to me. As you said, the sleeves and trousers need adjusting.

+1 on getting rid of the black undershirt. I think the consensus on SF now is that light gray is the best color undershirt to not show through, followed by white. For some reason, light gray blends in better whereas you can sometimes still see the outlines of a white undershirt.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a high button sb with a low rise trouser. thats why you got it so cheap.
or did you just push the trouser down like jeans?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are too big and the jacket and pants look too tight. But if thats the look your going for, then, your doing fine. I doubt anyone without a sense of style would notice. Those low-rise dress pants look ridiculous to me though.

Also, in the second picture, the waist is so suppressed that it pulls the fabric to skin tight. Makes your ass stick out. Again, if thats the look your going for, its all good. Personally, thats not what I'm going for in a suit.

Razeus

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with narrow lapels on teh jacket. it's not fashion forward. Slim fit suits are perfectly acceptable in the work place.

res ipsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razeus
Nothing wrong with narrow lapels on teh jacket. it's not fashion forward. Slim fit suits are perfectly acceptable in the work place.

Agreed. I'm a trial attorney and I've worn my Thick as Thieves suit to court without any issue; it actually generates quite a few compliments.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Thank yo for your comments everyone.

Perhaps I should expand upon my statement that I don't have to wear a suit. I am a photographer/photo retoucher. When I say I didn't have to wear a suit, I left out that I really don't have any dress cod at all, per say. What I wear depends on who I will be working with and what I will be doing. This suit is certainly not classically conservative. Thats not really what I want, not would I ever have occasion to wear a suit that was.

I think that sometimes people on this board forget that not everyone works in a conservative business environment. Especially in my field, and in the environment I function is, it can be more important to be on trend than to be classically styled.

I think this suit will get a good bit of wear, and will serve its purpose well.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I really like the suit, and given that you work in the creative arts, it seems ideal.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads