• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
WTF is with your posts?

+1. I think that to help Cliff (in case he's reading it) more constructive comments should be considered.

Not every shoe made is going to cater for everyone and if one doesn't like the style of a shoe, there should be little issue with that.

However, I feel that the Gentleman is trying to widen his horizons and, where possible, we should support him.

I would suggest that the people who are criticising the "look" of the shoes, get pen to paper, dig deep into their pockets and work with Cliff to design a style that they like.

Some of us, bemoan the lost of the "personal" touch that artisans such as Cliff are trying to achieve. So let's support the gent by offering him the benefit of our vast collective knowledge (as many on this post have done).

I will be happy to provide my pictures when my pair arrive.

This is of course, simply my opinion. But having met the man, I "get" where he's trying to go. Can we (SF) help him get there?

Clint

instep

Reaction score
While I don't love every single example of Cliff's work posted here on this thread, I appreciate the fact that he is: - a lone craftsman working to produce a pair of shoes from start to finish, and is happy to accomodate just about any reasonable request, - that he is clearly happy to involve members here in the production of their shoes, - and that the prices he charges are well within the reach of most here.
Originally Posted by haganah
WTF is with your posts?
+1 To me, he sounds either like a jealous competitor, someone who holds a personal grudge, or just an unhappy human being. Why mention who Cliff works for, after it was mentioned earlier in this thread that he clearly prefers to keep that information private? A little mean-spirited, no? What's interesting is that after my last post, he actually sent me a breathless PM telling me to not ever "dare attack his posts like that". Looks like he can dish it out, but ain't so hot about taking heat. FWIW, he doesn't actually know anything, someone else "told" him his 'information'. All in all, pretty weak IMO.
confused.gif

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986
I have heard from another style forum member that the style is ok, but the fit is very bad with Clifford. I guess with the London Shoemakers you get what you may for.......
bigstar[1].gif

This, and your other "contributions" to this thread make clear you are a troll, other than this you can be a stupid competitor or a stupid child ... in both cases try to grow up and bring something to the discussion

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
These look like Socal's next shoes
smile.gif

Need more glitter/paint.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WRT to Springline and bespoke lasts. There are many possibilities with this route. Get your foot scanned using the shoemaster 3D scanner ...eg. http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/experi...ce/custom_fit/
customfit-1.jpg
Design your last using the software. Get springline to make it, get it tweaked with your shoemaker. When fully happy with the design and fit, get springline to digitally scan the last. They can then email the settings to automated copy lathes anywhere in the world with the appropriate set-up. Get local shoemaker to make bespoke shoes on your custom last at a fraction of the domestic price. It's the future.

navysuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
WRT to Springline and bespoke lasts.

There are many possibilities with this route.

Get your foot scanned using the shoemaster 3D scanner ...eg.

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/experi...ce/custom_fit/

customfit-1.jpg

Design your last using the software. Get springline to make it, get it tweaked with your shoemaker. When fully happy with the design and fit, get springline to digitally scan the last.
They can then email the settings to automated copy lathes anywhere in the world with the appropriate set-up. Get local shoemaker to make bespoke shoes on your custom last at a fraction of the domestic price.
It's the future.

+1 for the information.
Thanks

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Design your last using the software. Get springline to make it, get it tweaked with your shoemaker.

Didn't occur to you that this basically mean to have a shoe last made by an experienced shoemaker ... that will shurely want some money for this, as what follows says you're unlikely to commission shoes from him ...
When fully happy with the design and fit, get springline to digitally scan the last.
Simply keeping the original one with you?
They can then email the settings to automated copy lathes anywhere in the world with the appropriate set-up.
As you can mail the last, don't you know that the receiving end will like to recoup the investment on the copying machine?
Get local shoemaker to make bespoke shoes on your custom last at a fraction of the domestic price.
And keep fingers crossed.
It's the future.
If baroque is the future, yes, otherwise it might be how shoe factories in China work for western brands, not how bespoke shoemaking will be.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this thread via Sleevehead - I've mailed Cliff about re-creating a lovely pair of Wildsmith austerity brogues with a toecap medallion, but in black.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is on my to do list.

Atleast two pairs of bals with lasted tree's.

Fantastic shoes Cliff. Fantastic.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by navysuede
+1 for the information.
Thanks

This is great if this service allows you to finally have your own last in your hands, as oppose to have it held hostage by some artisan.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Design your last using the software. Get springline to make it, get it tweaked with your shoemaker. When fully happy with the design and fit, get springline to digitally scan the last.
They can then email the settings to automated copy lathes anywhere in the world with the appropriate set-up. Get local shoemaker to make bespoke shoes on your custom last at a fraction of the domestic price.
It's the future.

I really do like the idea.
The problem is that a buyer will have to go through three pairs of expensive shoes before they get something that fits.
There are probably customers for it. It is just not as simple as it seems.
Look at all the Jantsen shirt threads. The Jantsen guy is legit, it is just a process to get it right. This will be the same. And a near miss is only $50 with a Jantsen Shirt.

Monkey

Reaction score
Cliff is mailing me my boots. I'll post pics upon receipt.

He also advised that he is currently working on a softer last similar to the 82 last.

Frodo

Reaction score
I too am concerned about fit. I mailed him foot measurements, and he gave me his best guess as to last size. I've asked repeatedly whether fit can be adjusted from one pair to the next, but all I ever hear back is that if the shoe is not exactly to my liking, he would like to make me another pair. I'm not insane about fit - leather shoes are pretty malleable and with wear will fit a variety of feet, but I don't see the point in making a whole new pair for a fit that is slightly off - the next pair can be adjusted slightly, as far as I'm concerned. Or can it? Something he hasn't answered yet.

But I plan on ordering a pair soon. There is no other handmade shoe anywhere in the price range, that I know of anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads