• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mouse Pad Static and High End Stereo (Need Help)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, my wife and I decided to throw down for a new, high tech stereo system with all of the bells and whistles. We are using a sound consultant who has come highly recommended. He uses top end suppliers and makes many of the connectors custom so that they harmonize with the components. We are really excited.

One thing worries me, though. This system will include a computer to run some of the devices, iPod etc. My wife does not feel comfortable with a laptop because she prefers to use a mouse rather than a touchpad, and knowing that I have received many static electricity zaps from mouse pads in the past, I am a bit nervous that some of these jolts might affect the sound quality, or even longevity, of the system since the computer will be in the same closet as the audio components. I asked our guy, and he is looking into it, but I was wondering if anybody had information on static free mouse pads, or possibly underlayers for mouse pads that could help keep away static jolts and improve sound quality and component health.

Thanks in advance, and any other suggestions would be helpful as well.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a competition-level mousepad from func.net. I have never gotten any static from this or other plastic competition-type mousepads.

Not that I even play many computer games, much less compete, but it is nice for all uses in which mouse-accuracy is important.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should look into styrofoam mousepads. That third oboe will sound amazing.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You should look into styrofoam mouseballs. That third oboe will sound amazing.

FTFY. Common audiophile myth to blame the mousepad, when mouseballs are where it's at.

--Andre

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
FTFY. Common audiophile myth to blame the mousepad, when mouseballs are where it's at.

--Andre

No way. You can't hear the third oboe anyway so who wants your advice?!

Mouseballs should be gold plated (18K, none of the 9K crap) and the pads woven from styrofoam spun into fine fibers.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, my wife and I decided to throw down for a new, high tech stereo system with all of the bells and whistles. We are using a sound consultant who has come highly recommended. He uses top end suppliers and makes many of the connectors custom so that they harmonize with the components. We are really excited.

One thing worries me, though. This system will include a computer to run some of the devices, iPod etc. My wife does not feel comfortable with a laptop because she prefers to use a mouse rather than a touchpad, and knowing that I have received many static electricity zaps from mouse pads in the past, I am a bit nervous that some of these jolts might affect the sound quality, or even longevity, of the system since the computer will be in the same closet as the audio components. I asked our guy, and he is looking into it, but I was wondering if anybody had information on static free mouse pads, or possibly underlayers for mouse pads that could help keep away static jolts and improve sound quality and component health.

Thanks in advance, and any other suggestions would be helpful as well.

Is this a poke at AF? I can't even tell if you're serious or not.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm serious. You used to game a lot. Did you ever look into a high end mousepad?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

I'm hearing vibrations from the gym shower.

My wife and I are worried about static electricity buildup from our carpets affecting our audiophile stereos. We thus have acquired Carnavale platinum-shielded titanium power cords with special resin coatings to prevent fallapart. However, the carpet problem remains. We are thus studying gymnastics and transcendental meditation in the hopes that we can vault and/or levitate through our media rooms en route to the library, where we will pretend there are books on global warming by Bjorn Lomberg.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'm serious. You used to game a lot. Did you ever look into a high end mousepad?

Yes, but what I have looks like a gamer's mousepad. The mousing surface is fantastic, but I don't think it fits your aesthetics.

Originally Posted by RJman
I'm hearing vibrations from the gym shower.

My wife and I are worried about static electricity buildup from our carpets affecting our audiophile stereos. We thus have acquired Carnavale platinum-shielded titanium power cords with special resin coatings to prevent fallapart. However, the carpet problem remains. We are thus studying gymnastics and transcendental meditation in the hopes that we can vault and/or levitate through our media rooms en route to the library, where we will pretend there are books on global warming by Bjorn Lomberg.

worship.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No way. You can't hear the third oboe anyway so who wants your advice?!

Double-blind tests have proven that no one can hear the 3rd oboe anyway. Classical music seems like a scam to me.
teacha.gif

On the off chance that Matt is not 3king us, here's a serious reply. Look for ESD-safe (ESD = electrostatic discharge) mousepads on Google. There are plenty out there because electronics companies have to deal with ESD on a daily basis. However, you will need an ESD-safe workstation, not just a mousepad: that means desk, chair, floor, everything that comes into contact with the mousepad and laptop.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about ESD harming the rest of your components beyond the laptop --- it may damage the laptop but it won't get beyond that. And unless you're touching the metal contacts on the various ports of your laptop, I wouldn't worry about ESD affecting the laptop, either.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Double-blind tests have proven that no one can hear the 3rd oboe anyway. Classical music seems like a scam to me.
teacha.gif

Double-blind tests are passe. Shootouts are where it's at.
On the off chance that Matt is not 3king us, here's a serious reply. Look for ESD-safe (ESD = electrostatic discharge) mousepads on Google. There are plenty out there because electronics companies have to deal with ESD on a daily basis. However, you will need an ESD-safe workstation, not just a mousepad: that means desk, chair, floor, everything that comes into contact with the mousepad and laptop.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about ESD harming the rest of your components beyond the laptop --- it may damage the laptop but it won't get beyond that. And unless you're touching the metal contacts on the various ports of your laptop, I wouldn't worry about ESD affecting the laptop, either.

- A
The night after I got an ESP mousedad, I dreamed that President Kennedy had been shot.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The leg shackles I wear around the house seem to have eliminated the static discharge problem for me.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you not, not use a mouse pad. I've never used one. Even when I was a Skill-ass mofo (Like an anti-n00b! And not a camper either) in Unreal Tournament. I can't see the use, although I'm sure there's one...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I recommend using a smallish bag of mini-marshmallows lodged half-way between the elbow and the wrist bone, to prevent crapal tonal syndrome. Replace when you're more than 20 days over the shelf life - stale mini-marshmallows don't work as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads