• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

epb

Reaction score

Just give u guys an update. I decided go for a V-rod (used). It's really the best bike Harley made.

Perhaps, but... :satisfied:

My biggest issue with the cruisers - not picking on just HD there - is the weight. Man, almost 700-lbs? My brother and I started out on dirt bikes, which you just pick up and hop back on like it's nothing. The transition to street bikes weighing 350 or so was bad enough. The Bonneville is about my limit.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear ya epb. And Harley's are some of the heaviest. I love my Triumph cruiser a lot. I mean a real lot. Sometimes my girlfriend even gets jealous. But I'm dying to ride something that's not 500lbs dry...

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you ever do a UJM... they are still pretty heavy but you still get classic styling a much more responsive ride

I think the CB1100 is a little cheesy and overdone... but something like an old Bandit 1200 could do the trick, I think

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shhh currently negotiating and still shopping around. Bikes are not cheap in So Cal.

Lot cheaper than the Tristate area since there are so many floating around. People here want ridiculously high prices for their piece of crap "streetfighters".

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kriega.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot cheaper than the Tristate area since there are so many floating around. People here want ridiculously high prices for their piece of crap "streetfighters".

I thought bikes in Southern California were more expensive because they don't have 'riding seasons' like in the northeast. Come December/January east coast dealers will be begging you to buy their bikes.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kriega or Boblebee?

I hate riding in backpacks with a passion. My trusty tailbag does a much better job. I can easily fit a laptop and work clothes (shirt/pants/shoes) with room to spare. It lashes to the pillion and is stable plus it has a shoulder strap for carrying

DSC03955.jpg

epb

Reaction score

Kriega or Boblebee?

Boblebee - I always worry about that hardshell in an off; you can be the guinea pig. :)

I prefer the Kreiga. As for the tailbag/tankbag debate - someday, when I'm down to just one motorcycle, I can see it - maybe. For now, I like backpacks because it stays with me, so I can hop on whichever bike I'm in the mood for and when I get were I'm going everything comes with me. No worries about disconnecting stuff, or leaving it and someone messing with it, etc.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate riding in backpacks with a passion.

I was going to say the same thing if you didn't. I will swiftly address the major arguments for backpacks over saddle/tank/tail bags.

Argument 1) It's cooler to have a backpack than any baggage on your slick bike.
Response: Wrong, backpacks almost always look less cool than sans-backpack on anyone because mostly kids wear them. If you have at least one decent bag somewhere on your bike you can use it for transporting stuff and just make sure the bag solution is quick release or removable for when you want to go hot doggin'. I think a minimal bag on the bike somewhere is way cooler than a backpack which just looks amateur.

Argument 2) Backpacks provide additional safety protection.
Response: They can also f**k up your spine if you land on them wrong. They will always make you less aerodynamic and generally increase wind drag on your body which will tire you out more on longer rides.

Argument 3) Wearing backpacks on your bike regularly will not lead to chronic shoulder and neck pain.
Response: My chiropractor would disagree.

EPB's argument does make sense though. If you've got a variety of bikes it would be tough to find something that works for all of them. Maybe a versatile tank bag would work. But having a bunch of different bikes well... that's an uncommon and good problem to have.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boblebee - I always worry about that hardshell in an off; you can be the guinea pig.
smile.gif

I prefer the Kreiga. As for the tailbag/tankbag debate - someday, when I'm down to just one motorcycle, I can see it - maybe. For now, I like backpacks because it stays with me, so I can hop on whichever bike I'm in the mood for and when I get were I'm going everything comes with me. No worries about disconnecting stuff, or leaving it and someone messing with it, etc.

To tell you the truth removing it is easy - either I detach the straps but leave them sticking out from under the seat(it comes with a lot of extras) or I remove the pillion (which only take a single turn of a key) and take it all with me. I have a matching tankbag that I used once. Picked it up at lunch one day and on the way home realized that I detested the damn thing so it has been collecting dust for 4 years

EPB's argument does make sense though. If you've got a variety of bikes it would be tough to find something that works for all of them. Maybe a versatile tank bag would work. But having a bunch of different bikes well... that's an uncommon and good problem to have.

Wish I were burdened with that which-bike-should-I-ride-today "problem"
laugh2-smiley_zpsa7ead38c.gif

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Givi top case for my scooter a week ago and it's literally changed my life.

epb

Reaction score

Wish I were burdened with that which-bike-should-I-ride-today "problem"
laugh2-smiley_zpsa7ead38c.gif
I thought most people did, since the motorcycle hobby means owning multiple bikes is pretty cheap. Guys here have spent more on a suit than I've paid for my bikes. :) I've sometimes worried about back issues from an accident or prolonged use, but truth is I use my backpack about once a week, to haul groceries home and the store is about 3 minutes away so it's not a big deal. It was comfortable enough on the one 700+ mile roadtrip I took, but I pack pretty light.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blarg.

I didn't want a bag/case back there because I hate looking like a touring bike; I mean, this is Styleforum, right
bigstar[1].gif

Also, too, because I've been looking for the shorter S1 seat to convert, and then there wouldn't be room:

A pillion-bag really would be safer and easier... arg.

I'll start looking at hard-cases I guess. Need something waterproof anyway to ride around in Portland rain. Then I can throw my work-bag in there vs. wearing it while riding.

Last edited:

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a Givi top case for my scooter a week ago and it's literally changed my life.

I've got one on my Multistrada and you're right. I never had any kind of secure case on any of my previous bikes and I remember what a pain ********** it was to try and take something with me on it. And I always hated lugging my helmet around with me when off the bike. The top case is great, it has enough room for two full face helmets and smaller miscellaneous items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads