• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

epb

Reaction score

Prob a good idea to ride within your limits on the street

But confidence just comes with time and practice.

I go ridiculously easy on the turns because the street is the street, not the track - you simply don't know what's on the street. I've come close to losing my bike on turns due to broken glass, diesel, at least a Super Gulp-sized Slurpee, a puddle of what I still think was maple syrup, and a clear sheet of plastic that was invisible until my front tire touched it. (Funny how after a close call, you always go back and see what the hell it was). Yes, I feel like an idiot poking thru a curve at 20mph or so, but over the years I've had to catch a bike too many times to take a good surface for granted. My lowest, nearly knee-down turns come when I screw up - take a turn a bit too fast and discover it's tighter than I expected. Newbies tend to high-side because it's counter-intuitve to think about pushing the bar down further and staying on the throttle.

epb

Reaction score

Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?

Depends on the highway, depends on the ride. I've got a Honda CBR600RR, CB400T, and NT650. The CB400T, like otc said (he's got one as well), is about 35hp and has a top speed of 99mph; it hits the meat of its torque-band above 5000 rpm. I've ridden it to Milwaukee, but I do that by taking Route 43 way north of Chicago where it merges with I-94, and I can cruise along at 70mph. I'm keeping up with traffic, and if I need some more a (BIG) twist of the wrist will move it along. With an engine this old, living near redline would be foolhardy.

Around town, where commuters are manically driving 80-90mph while texting, shaving and such (yesterday I was behind a guy brushing his teeth - how do you even do that? does he spit in his car?) and the CB400 doesn't do well, lacking the ability to quickly put some room between me and the inattentive. For those situations, the other two are fine - the low-down torque of the NT650 can handle any sane speeds, and the CBR... let's face it, it's untouchable. :)

So, to sum up, I wouldn't take a Misfit on the interstate for an extended trip, but I would take it on county/state roads - which would be more fun/interesting anyway. I haven't taken a motorcycle trip yet where I droned along on the intersate dodging semis and minivans; I use my car for that.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, i'm hoping a side effect of the bike is slaying puss, i'm not too worried haha. How is riding in NYC brutal, coming from someone like yourself who has done it?
Thanks man, and absolutely. I'm not a squid.

Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?

250cc is fine on the highway, no worse than a 14 second car

Riding in Manhattan just puts you on the super defensive, to the point to me that it's almost not fun. I had an accident with a cab and have had countless close calls with them. I would find a lot to practice skills in and ride super defensively

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
250cc is fine on the highway, no worse than a 14 second car

Riding in Manhattan just puts you on the super defensive, to the point to me that it's almost not fun. I had an accident with a cab and have had countless close calls with them. I would find a lot to practice skills in and ride super defensively

Your bike makes 70something hp. You cannot relate. According to motorcylist.com the Misfit dynoed at almost 12 hp. Almost. Consider this: 125cc scooters make about same horsepower yet they are not highway legal

Cleveland-CycleWerks-Tha-Misfit-Dyno.jpg

A new rider on NY highways for extended trips on this bike is a recipe for disaster. I can't imagine being on Grand Central Parkway, FDR, the LIE or Southern State Parkway on a 12 hp vehicle. Can you imagine crossing the Verrazzano or the George Washington Bridge on that thing? How about cruising down the Jersey Turnpike or up the NY State Thruway?

I understand supporting the young man and all that jazz as I am always one to bring more people into the riding brotherhood but this is rediculous

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After doing lots of reading and research, and despite the negativity in this thread, put a deposit on a Cyclewerks Misfit, should be getting it early November.

Going to be my first bike, just completed the MSF course in NY and got my license.

I'll let it be known, a big reason why I chose the bike is because i'm going to be on my fathers insurance, and he wanted me to have a new bike....that and he's putting in $1,200 for it. I'm essentially only paying 2 grand for it.

When one of my childhood buddies lives in East New York (Brooklyn for non-New Yorkers) decided to buy his first motorcycle I pushed him into looking at this. You can probably find a brand new 2010 model still sitting in a crate for dirt cheap. My friend decided against it but instead put his g/f on a 9 month weight gain program
laugh2-smiley_zpsa7ead38c.gif

2010-Kawasaki-KLX250SFd_zps1425093a.jpg

Last edited:

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooof yea Rumplestiltskin didn't realize it was that underpowered. Well, he should be fine if he stays off of highways and in the "subway zone". Hey, I see folks on Vespas on the bridges and those have like 5HP. So he should be OK off the highways.

It's possible/probable a very used TU250 would have been a better buy. But hey, you live and you learn. Enjoy it

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of horsepower I got clocked for doing 49 in a 35 yesterday. Cop let me off with a warning. Couldn't believe it.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost want to go and impulse buy a Ninja 300 w ABS. My gut tells me it's the smartest beginner sportbike to buy. And so much cheaper than a Striple

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I almost want to go and impulse buy a Ninja 300 w ABS. My gut tells me it's the smartest beginner sportbike to buy. And so much cheaper than a Striple

Smartest beginner bike is a $1500 Ninja 250.....

brokencycle

Reaction score

Speaking of horsepower I got clocked for doing 49 in a 35 yesterday. Cop let me off with a warning. Couldn't believe it.

I think they're typically forgiving of motorcycles. I merged onto the interestate and immediately cut over into the HOV/motorcycle lane doing about 70 in a 60 right by a parked state trooper in an unmarked car. I thought he was going to get me, but he just sat there.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I owned a Triumph Bonneville for a while before trading it in for a Speed Triple. The Bonneville, while a great 'gentleman's cruiser' around town seemed to fall a bit short in terms of performance outside of town on twisted mountain roads.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads