• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, JapanAlex doesn't like Queen or Fleet Foxes? Really? No 'Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy', no 'Another One Bites The Dust', no 'White Winter Hymnal', no 'Blue Ridge Mountains'?

As far as 'overrated' goes though, I heard a lot of raving about King of Limbs from people who had evidently never heard an ambient album before or something. Kind of bothersome but if it encourages them to broaden their horizons a little then it's probably a good thing.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ambient albums tend to be horse-****, imo! Ghosts, by NIN, was good. Shame all their other stuff stinks (apart from Year Zero)! The guy who said Nirvana is an idiot. Yes, Fleet Foxes and Queen suck.
ffffuuuu.gif
Mellow Gold was Beck's best album?! Then he had Odelay and Mutations. Apart from maybe Stereopathetic Soul Manure or The Information, everything else sucked or was average at best! :/ I'd also chip-in and say, Jay-Z! He made, what, Vol. 3 . . . Life and Times of S. Carter, The Blueprint and the Blueprint 3. The rest is just meh! :/ Yes, the Black Album (while not bad) is definitely overrated! (Some people call it one of the best rap albums of all time! ¬.¬)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Odelay and Mutations. Apart from maybe Stereopathetic Soul Manure or The Information, everything else sucked or was average at best! :/

Sea Change.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sea Change is possibly his worst album..! :/

Although, Loser, One Foot in the Grave, Beercan, Midnite Vultures and Modern Guilt all, pretty much, suck! :/

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Ambient albums tend to be horse-****, imo! Ghosts, by NIN, was good. Shame all their other stuff stinks (apart from Year Zero)! The guy who said Nirvana is an idiot. Yes, Fleet Foxes and Queen suck.
ffffuuuu.gif

Mellow Gold was Beck's best album?! Then he had Odelay and Mutations. Apart from maybe Stereopathetic Soul Manure or The Information, everything else sucked or was average at best! :/

I'd also chip-in and say, Jay-Z! He made, what, Vol. 3 . . . Life and Times of S. Carter, The Blueprint and the Blueprint 3. The rest is just meh! :/ Yes, the Black Album (while not bad) is definitely overrated! (Some people call it one of the best rap albums of all time! ¬.¬)

Okay I know you're a fan of Christgau, but every single music post you ever make is the exact opinion of Christgau, seriously, you hate Illmatic and think the Black Album and Reasonable doubt are worse than the Blueprint 3, and basically dislike every popular band he does and love every popular band he does. Although critics are guidance they shouldn't form your entire opinion on music and you should probably explore things yourself.

I also highly doubt you've actually listened to Beck seeing as you're listing individual singles amongst full length albums, and strangely enough Christgau also listed these songs as if they're entire albums, leading one to believe you simply looked at Christgau's opinions without actually listening to the 'albums' as at first glance they both seem like they'd be full albums. Weird huh?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know arguing with JapanAlex is kind of a loss cause because he just says his opinions without backing them up or explaining them at all, but really, ambient is horse ****? Again, we're just supposed to ignore Small Craft on a Milk Sea and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven? Or (I guess this is more trip hop type stuff) Mezzanine or Endtroducing? Really? Real talk?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popul Vuh: *wacking off

The reason I, generally, dislike ambient (and most forms of techno) is because the genre tends to be devoid of hooks! Endtroducing..... is not ambient!
facepalm.gif

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Popul Vuh: *wacking off

The reason I, generally, dislike ambient (and most forms of techno) is because the genre tends to be devoid of hooks! Endtroducing..... is not ambient!
facepalm.gif

You dislike things because they don't have hooks?
eh.gif

Also you really like 'wacking off' don't you?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, hooks (or melody—whether it be the piano hook or guitar riff, let alone vocals) are the whole reason anyone should listen to music! I'll give you a great example—the reason why Play is, and always will be, Moby's best album is because he focused on the hooks! Try listening to his second latest one Wait for Me and compare—every time it builds to a nice hook it changes and goes off in the wrong direction?! I don't know if he did this intentionally, but it's why it's not as good as Play. Don't get me wrong, I see the beauty in some ambient music, but it tends to lean towards techno-esque, half-arsed repeating beats which don't make any intelligent contribution to the song?

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Yes, hooks (or melody"”whether it be the piano hook or guitar riff, let alone vocals) are the whole reason anyone should listen to music! I'll give you a great example"”the reason why Play is, and always will be, Moby's best album is because he focused on the hooks! Try listening to his second latest one Wait for Me and compare"”every time it builds to a nice hook it changes and goes off in the wrong direction?! I don't know if he did this intentionally, but it's why it's not as good as Play. Don't get me wrong, I see the beauty in some ambient music, but it tends to lean towards techno-esque, half-arsed repeating beats which don't make any intelligent contribution to the song?

So anything even remotely progressive is bad? What about classical music? Is it all **** because it's not one repeated melody over and over? Also, what about music that utilises something other than simple scales, music that has something in mind other than being melodic for melody's sake?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Progressive is a cop-out word. I like people like DJ Shadow (because he's smart, and he's a good DJ), and I like artists from all genres. There are genres that are, more often than not, **** or tend to be ****. Prog falls into this"”pretentious, hook/melody-less music. If the music is ****, the music is ****. It's about tempo, lyrics, song-craft, melody, riffs, etc, etc, etc. Of course, opinion is subjective, but all these kinds of wishy-washy, genres don't wash it for me. Ambient tends to be a little complacent, proj (like I said) is pretentious garbage, classical is overrated (I can hear what other people hear in it, but it just sounds bad!), and a lot of hipster 'progressive'/art-rock bands (like Crystal Castles/Animal Collective/Radiohead) are **** or, at least, not very good! It seems a lot of people are confused as to what makes intelligent music..! Try comparing OK Computer to Misterioso (by Thelonious Monk)!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Popol Vuh

Reaction score
Progressive is a cop-out word. I like people like DJ Shadow (because he's smart, and he's a good DJ), and I like artists from all genres. There are genres that are, more often than not, **** or tend to be ****. Prog falls into this"”pretentious, hook/melody-less music. If the music is ****, the music is ****. It's about tempo, lyrics, song-craft, melody, riffs, etc, etc, etc. Of course, opinion is subjective, but all these kinds of wishy-washy, genres don't wash it for me. Ambient tends to be a little complacent, proj (like I said) is pretentious garbage, classical is overrated (I can hear what other people hear in it, but it just sounds bad!), and a lot of hipster 'progressive'/art-rock bands (like Crystal Castles/Animal Collective/Radiohead) are **** or, at least, not very good! It seems a lot of people are confused as to what makes intelligent music..! Try comparing OK Computer to Misterioso (by Thelonious Monk)!

Misterioso aka Christgau's favourite album?
smile.gif

Also the term 'classical' is probably the most diverse term in music, and I highly doubt you've listened to very much classical seeing as you have written the whole 'genre' off as bad. You also talk about intelligent music, yet think music serves no purpose other than to be melodic, which is quite frankly the most narrow-minded, least intelligent outlook to have on music full stop.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sea Change is possibly his worst album..! :/

Although, Loser, One Foot in the Grave, Beercan, Midnite Vultures and Modern Guilt all, pretty much, suck! :/

censored.gif
censored.gif
censored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads