• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning suit vs. Tuxedo

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A morning suit is for day and a tuxedo is for evening. Personally, I think both are a bit much for a wedding. The classic rule for menswear is: all men in the room should be wearing the same type of clothing. For weddings, that includes the guests.

Wedding ain't a cosplay party.

Groom/bride can dress whatever the **** they want but they won't have complete control over the guests. What you gonna do when your rich uncle Joe shows up in overall with a hat? Turn him away? Pfft.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wedding ain't a cosplay party.

Groom/bride can dress whatever the **** they want but they won't have complete control over the guests. What you gonna do when your rich uncle Joe shows up in overall with a hat? Turn him away? Pfft.

No, but if you don't think your guests can muster black tie, maybe don't do black tie.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I prefer all of the gentleman to be wearing the same thing. It drives me crazy when the groom is in a morning suit, the groomsmen are in tuxes, and the guests are in business suits (or less). It may sound a bit snobbish, but I think weddings should be about the best of what you normally wear.

If I wore my tux, I would expect my guests to wear one as well. If I knew the majority of my guest list doesn't have a tux, I would wear a suit.
I think a groom should stand out. If everyone wears a tux it won't happen. It like every woman wears a white dress like a bride does.

MeachamLake

Reaction score
In less than two pages we've already had plenty of differing opinions, so I would say there's really no definitive right or wrong answer to this. It's your wedding - wear what you like the most.

However, bear in mind that the whole of Styleforum will disown you if you make the wrong choice. We are watching you.
sly.gif

Slightly off topic - as a Brit I'm always fascinated with the (seemingly exclusively) American obsession with social 'rules'. People throw them around on these forums as if they're gospel. I struggle to get my head around them sometimes - my favourite is always the strange social hierarchy that dictates if you are deemed worthy enough to wear french cuffs. Very strange.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I think a groom should stand out. If everyone wears a tux it won't happen. It like every woman wears a white dress like a bride does.

The tradition is that the bride should stand out, its "her day" etc. The groom is simply supposed to foil to make her look good and at most that they look like a good couple. Obviously after the wedding its a life of servitude for the wife ;)

Look at any traditionally semi-formal event and men pretty much have a uniform to wear - morning dress for weddings, garden parties, races, black tie for "party" type evening events and white tie for formal balls etc. Women on the other hand for all of them have an almost free hand other than potentially whats allowed to be revealed/ requirement for a hat

If you look at many photos of weddings the groom and groomsmen are all dressed identically or a moderately minor difference like the colour of the grooms waistcoat.

I repeat however, its your wedding though and if you want to wear a purple onesie and a green top hat then thats your choice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads