• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 'tank-top' was a similar clothing item from the 7ts that had a squared off neck opening , they were very trendy . .once. .:)

Often they were stripey and kids would call those "bee jumpers." I always associate them with Leo Sayer, but having said that, I can't actually recall seeing him in one.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, sleeveless cardigan would be the most accurate descriptor.

well let's be real, most of "the look" is basically old man gear, by most people's standards ;)

as with most things, it's about how it's put together and the vibe the wearer gives off :thumbs-up: :revolve:
I don't think that it is 'old mans ' gear so much here now , as old men can be seen often now in baseball cap , joggy bottoms and trainers . .

A worker in a Levis shop said to me a liitle while back that , Jeremy Clakson had made denims 'old mens' gear . Er , being a bit older myself now , l just looked at him. .:bigstar:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often they were stripey and kids would call those "bee jumpers." I always associate them with Leo Sayer, but haveing said that, I can't actually recall seeing him in one.
Aye , but he was easily confused with Gilbert O'Sullivan tho' . .
iu

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Newton heath

Reaction score
I don't think that it is 'old mans ' gear so much here now , as old men can be seen often now in baseball cap , joggy bottoms and trainers . .

A worker in a Levis shop said to me a liitle while back that , Jeremy Clakson had made denims 'old mens' gear . Er , being a bit older myself now , l just looked at him. .:bigstar:
To be fair he’s right especially blue jeans I only wear black now , same for leather jackets great for up to fortyish, I tried a lovely leather jacket on in slaters a couple of years ago, so I said to the salesman who I knew quite well “ how does this look”? He replied “ newton that horse bolted many years ago “,

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Personally don't understand the view that only certain age groups can wear certain things, i dress like an old man but all what matters is that i'm happy, if someone doesn't like it or doesn't think it is fashionable/age appropriate then that is there problem no one else.

Comes down to wear what you find appealing and what makes you happy

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally don't understand the view that only certain age groups can wear certain things, i dress like an old man but all what matters is that i'm happy, if someone doesn't like it or doesn't think it is fashionable/age appropriate then that is there problem no one else.

More or less agree with this DJ.
There’s a recurring theme I read along the lines of ‘blokes in their fifties shouldn’t be wearing gazelles’ etc. - Who puts an age limit on these things? My out-of-work ‘uniform’ in warm weather is polo shirt, Levi’s and gazelles. It’s the sort of thing I problies wore as a teenager and doubt I’ll stop now. Looks decent at any age and no I’m not trying to ‘recapture my youth’ or any bollocks like that. Am I supposed to wear a beige Members Only jacket and high waisted baggy washed jeans with taupe ‘sneakers’ now? (With the velcro straps course which are much more friendly for arthritic fingers than shoelaces!)

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I guess people are expected to ''fit in'' or it's simple group think, either way never understood it as i have never been on that side of the fence, and it sounds boring.

Newton heath

Reaction score
To each their own but my thing is to be smart when you go out ,it doesn’t mean you have to have “ labels “ it doesn’t have to be expensive , it’s a personal thing if people are happy to wear sky blue denim jeans , benny hill shirts and white trainers then that’s up to them and good luck with it . It’s just not for me . at sixty five wearing a suite jacket and or a overcoat or a barour quilted jacket looks far better than a leather jacket ( which I would have loved but as the salesman said “ not for you “ and he was right , forty years ago yep.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I reckon the general public don't care what you wear anymore , and by the looks of them they don't care what they wear either. .

Gone are the days of your mates saying "hey , look at the Dan Dares on that guy. .lol"

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads