• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mining/Petroleum Engineers?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
For what it's worth, a close friend of mine is (was) a PE. Got a Masters in PE from Stanford, worked in the industry for a decade, hated the job. Went back to school for an International MBA and earned a CFA separately - now works as a top financial analyst for one of the majors mentioned above, making massive bucks, and loves the job. Point is, there are more opportunities in this area beyond the engineering role itself.

Stewbone

Reaction score
I know this is slightly off topic, but does anyone here have any experience in Petroleum/energy economics? Im currently a junior getting a degree in econ/finance and was going to start applying to the few grad schools that offer a degree in the area. I was just wondering if a grad degree in this area would be useful.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
austinite said:
I'm an EE, not petroleum, so I know little about petroleum specific topics, but in most cases the math in different branches of engineering is analogous.

The science is pretty much the same, too. There is a reason that your degree says "BS Engineering" and not "BS Electrical Engineering".

Ad Fundum

Reaction score

austinite said:
I'm an EE, not petroleum, so I know little about petroleum specific topics, but in most cases the math in different branches of engineering is analogous.

The science is pretty much the same, too. There is a reason that your degree says "BS Engineering" and not "BS Electrical Engineering".

So wait, you're telling me physics doesn't change depending on major? :)

chouhuoguo

Reaction score
good info,You'll make good money and work in the middle of nowhere.thank you
17.gif

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know this is slightly off topic, but does anyone here have any experience in Petroleum/energy economics? Im currently a junior getting a degree in econ/finance and was going to start applying to the few grad schools that offer a degree in the area. I was just wondering if a grad degree in this area would be useful.

The big econ consulting firms will all have people/practice areas dealing with energy. Projects will involve pricing/competition/tariffs/pipelines/financing etc.

Not sure how the mix would look as far as litigation work (analysis responding to lawsuits/contract breaches/government probes) vs advisory work (helping businesses design pricing models/governments design regulations/etc). People probably lean one way or the other based on their specialty and reputation.

A PhD would be useful for sure, maybe an MA (since it doesn't give you the solid credential of a doctorate and might not be as useful to a company as 2 years of work experience).

My suggestion would be to try and get an internship this summer doing this to see how you like it (understanding that interns do the crap work, which is very different than what someone who worked for a year, went to get a PhD, and then came back would be doing). Will require some research and networking on your part...I think NERA does a lot of energy work out of their Boston office, and there are probably some firms that specialize in energy, but as far as the other big firms, you'll have to figure out which offices have the energy experts (otherwise you will be working on M&A or stock fraud or something else completely unrelated to energy economics).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads