• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's watch at the $5K mark?

ant702

Reaction score
Thanks for concurring. ETA movements are good for what they are - simply workhorse machines. You are right that very few people consider the cost of ownership of a watch. On a mid-grade brand like a JLC for a simple 3 hand watch, the servicing is 650 CHF every 4-5 years, which adds up to many thousands over a lifetime. Servicing for complicated pieces like tourbillons would be eye-popping to most. This is mainly because of the brand monopoly on servicing knowhow, plus the fear that external watchmakers will damage or swap parts in a watch. Sometimes I agree it is more hassle than happiness, owning several expensive watches.
Of course the ideal is both to have a manufacture movement coupled with inexpensive or even free servicing. Such a thing exists, believe it or not
smile.gif
Thank you sir! You know almost too much
smile.gif

ant702

Reaction score
I have a nice all stainless Movado that's held up well..no bling bling..and a workhorse Seiko I've worn for years. I'd like to take the plunge on a "nice" watch with clean lines and professional appearance. I'm not a fan of gold or diamonds on watches. I saw some nice Breitling's at that price point. What about Dornblueth?
Breitling's Super Ocean on mesh bracelet may be what your looking for! I believe it comes in 2sizes, 38 and 42mm, not 100% sure!

hermes man

Reaction score
hi guys what do u guys think about Omega space master z-33

i am thinking to save my money to get this watch as my 2013 target what do u guys think

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i am thinking to save my money to get this watch as my 2013 target what do u guys think

Unless you genuinely need all of the features specific to this piece, you'd be nuts to pay $6k for a quartz watch. If you're in love with the design then you'd be better off looking for a vintage Flightmaster with an automatic movement and a price tag in the $3,500-4k range.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the case design or the display. Much prefer the X-33 which can be found in the 2-2.5k range used. Shouldn't you be looking at Hermes watches?

dbln79

Reaction score
Doing some "desk diving" today.

NDND2012

Reaction score

I have a nice all stainless Movado that's held up well..no bling bling..and a workhorse Seiko I've worn for years. I'd like to take the plunge on a "nice" watch with clean lines and professional appearance. I'm not a fan of gold or diamonds on watches. I saw some nice Breitling's at that price point. What about Dornblueth?

Ever looked into Nomos? Watches are made in Glashutte Germany. In-house movement. Very clean lines. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I love my Taganomat GMT. Zurich is beautiful as well. Both can be had new for easily under 5k.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Ever looked into Nomos? Watches are made in Glashutte Germany. In-house movement. Very clean lines. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I love my Taganomat GMT. Zurich is beautiful as well. Both can be had new for easily under 5k.

Nomos is very nice, one of the best brands for watches under 5k. It is a true manufacture, has reasonable servicing costs and has classically beautiful designs. These are traits rarely found in any watch brand, let alone one under 5k.

hermes man

Reaction score

Not a fan of the case design or the display. Much prefer the X-33 which can be found in the 2-2.5k range used. Shouldn't you be looking at Hermes watches?

dont like the x33 design.. Hermes isnt a renowned watch maker

Unless you genuinely need all of the features specific to this piece, you'd be nuts to pay $6k for a quartz watch. If you're in love with the design then you'd be better off looking for a vintage Flightmaster with an automatic movement and a price tag in the $3,500-4k range.

but i love the design of x-33.. thats the thing i am not really into fancy movement.. i just like the futuristic yet retro design of z-33..

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have to ask "what kind of image does it present?" then it's automatically the wrong watch to buy. Personally I think it's stupid to buy a watch from a purse maker. Different makers have different specialties and I think it's best to stick to what someone does best. I'd love to have a closet full of Brioni suits one day, but I'll never own a pair of Brioni jeans. Porsche makes some amazing cars, but if I want a luxurious SUV the Cayenne won't be it.

And unless you are an avid yachter the YMII might as well be a block of gold on your wrist; it's one of the least functional watches out there and way too busy unless you're actually using the functions on it.

The Rolex and Omega you posted are easily the best of the group, though I'll admit I can't stand the orange bezel.

If you like the Explorer but think it's too plain (and like orange) then you should be looking at a Milgauss.
[ATTACHMENT=3149]rolex-milgauss.jpg (30k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hey! While i only have 3 Brioni suits and a tuxedo which doesn't qualify as a "closet full" lol i do own a pair of their jeans and to be honest they are actually pretty good.

papa kot

Reaction score

Why would you even think of spending so much money on a watch that comes from the best-mall brand and especially on this particular model?

The sole fact that you need to save money to buy this atrocity tells me that you either 1) work for Omega and are trying to promote this item here or 2) have very little knowledge about how watches are priced, sold, and bought.

I am sorry for being rough, but I really want you keep your money and save it for something that is actually worth it.

Speaking of saving, if you need to pro-actively put money aside for watch, that watch better be a Patek or a Lange or something else that will say that, at the very least, you know what you've spent your money on.

And if you really, really want this Omega, please wait. I am sure you'll see plenty of these models available at steep discounts.

P.S.: I just saw your blog. It appears that this watch is indeed for you, so please buy it at the full MSRP and forget everything I've stated earlier.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but i love the design of x-33.. thats the thing i am not really into fancy movement.. i just like the futuristic yet retro design of z-33..

Then buy a Swatch. The ONLY reason to pay a lot of money for a nice watch (besides a reasonable amount for precious metals) is for a quality mechanical movement. Otherwise you'll just end up a brand whore who served as a cautionary tale to your friends' kids.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Then buy a Swatch. The ONLY reason to pay a lot of money for a nice watch (besides a reasonable amount for precious metals) is for a quality mechanical movement. Otherwise you'll just end up a brand whore who served as a cautionary tale to your friends' kids.

Do you realize who you're giving brand whore advice to?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads