• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

LaymanX

Reaction score

Anyone experienced both the buzz rickson's and the real mccoy's navy peacoat? Is the real mccoy's worth the extra couple hundred dollars over the buzz rickson's?

The RMC version seems to be slimmer cut than the BR one.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
So here's a few better pics of my RMC. I have to decide in the next few days if I'm going to keep it, and I'm leaning towards yes (the Sterlingwear will be going in B&S if anyone is interested). I took one with the collar up. I agree it's a good look, but I don't think I need to wear it up all the time.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

Anyone experienced both the buzz rickson's and the real mccoy's navy peacoat? Is the real mccoy's worth the extra couple hundred dollars over the buzz rickson's?

I haven't seen the BR in person. So I can't tell you for sure. From what I read, the RMC had longer sleeves and a trimmer cut (which were things I was looking for. I also read that BR's QC was not the greatest. I can tell you that the RMC is amazing. 37oz wool is stout. Great stitching without any hanging threads. Working double breast is pretty cool. I think it fits good (the pics are above). Some of the features are similar to both coats (10 buttons, corduroy lined pockets, and throat latch).

hkl16

Reaction score

I haven't seen the BR in person. So I can't tell you for sure. From what I read, the RMC had longer sleeves and a trimmer cut (which were things I was looking for. I also read that BR's QC was not the greatest. I can tell you that the RMC is amazing. 37oz wool is stout. Great stitching without any hanging threads. Working double breast is pretty cool. I think it fits good (the pics are above). Some of the features are similar to both coats (10 buttons, corduroy lined pockets, and throat latch).

How did you size on the RMC? Seems like a big difference compared to your sterlingwear.

hkl16

Reaction score

what the heck happened to Billy Reid peacoat?

I remember owning one awhile back, which I believe it was their first run (before it exploded with Bond movie).. the texture was so soft, and everything exuded elegance and luxury with high quality construction and materials used.. it was one of the best outerwear/jacket I had handled in my life....

unfortunately, I had to sell that one a year ago due to sizing.

So I decided to order another one few days ago since they now offer in size XS, but to my surprise, the jacket feels completely different than what they used to be few years ago. It's now very stiff out of the box (which I assume it needs alot of breaking in), and the wool feels much rougher and coarse (hence cheaper) than before. yikes. In terms of sizing, it flares ugly at the bottom and the shoulder seems overly big (17.5 on XS?), while the arm and sleeve width seems out of proportionally big compared to the trim body.

definitely returning this right away, and for those who were contemplating on purchasing these... it clearly does not warrant a $700 price tag (well, atleast not anymore) so beware and stay away..

So you ordered the coat last week and they shipped it already? I ordered it in october and they still didn't ship it yet. I think i'm going to call them and cancel the order based on your experience with it.

SerialComma

Reaction score
For those of you who own the Bond Peacoat, do you find it warm enough for a really cold, windy day? I live in NYC. For the coldest days, I have a down parka. I do like the style and cut of the Bond, but is the no-lining thing something I'll regret?

Mr Sola

Reaction score

How did you size on the RMC? Seems like a big difference compared to your sterlingwear.

I measured the Sterlingwear and compared it to the sizing info on BiG and Superdenim. The RMC measures about an inch smaller in all dimensions when I compared them last night. However, you can see that the RMC has a much better silhouette. From what I have read, the BR is a more faithful reproduction (meaning less fitted).

hkl16

Reaction score

I measured the Sterlingwear and compared it to the sizing info on BiG and Superdenim. The RMC measures about an inch smaller in all dimensions when I compared them last night. However, you can see that the RMC has a much better silhouette. From what I have read, the BR is a more faithful reproduction (meaning less fitted).

Thanks. You should def keep your RMC.

SerialComma

Reaction score
Thanks for this! That's really helpful. And whoa...a whole thread devoted to this coat. I had no idea it was such a big deal.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Absolutely James Bond forum:

"Just wore it in a cutting wind-chill of -16C/+3F with a thin lambswool sweater and a t-shirt underneath with a think scarf around my neck and I was still toasty warm."

"I just wore it with real feel of 22. No prob."

Here's the AJB thread dedicated to the Bond coat; note that the first posts are from the original super-limited run, but the thread is still very active.

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/38895/the-billy-reid-peacoat-is-a-go/
That's what I was referring to. I got my coat from that run. After they went back on the "limited supply" and opened the flood gates, they started changing the materials. Kudos to them for making the $$

Last edited:

entropicamerica

Reaction score
Hey all,

I need a fit check on two peacoats. One is 38R and the other is 40R (both 1950s vintage). My chest measures at a 39R... I think the shoulders fit well on the 38R (right?) but it's snug across the chest. The 40R looks too big in general, right? Advice/feedback?

38R

40R

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's hard to say, the way you're wearing them. Too buttoned up and collar not popped. You need to open the top and bottom buttons and leave just the middle buttoned. Then pop the collar at least slightly. I'm guessing the 38 is good but as I say, you're not wearing it right, so that makes it difficult to say.
Hey all, I need a fit check on two peacoats. One is 38R and the other is 40R (both 1950s vintage). My chest measures at a 39R... I think the shoulders fit well on the 38R (right?) but it's snug across the chest. The 40R looks too big in general, right? Advice/feedback? 38R 40R

entropicamerica

Reaction score
I've read that the collar should only be popped in extremely cold/bad weather, and the only one button thing seems very odd to me. I know the reasoning for it with a single-breasted suit, what is the reasoning behind it for a peacoat?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, if it's not cold enough to pop the collar, you probably shouldn't be wearing it in the first place. But you "should" pop it if you want to look like you know how to wear a pea coat. Some collars are just meant to be popped, and this is one of them. And just as you wouldn't button all three buttons on a three-button blazer (please don't tell me you would), you "shouldn't" button all the buttons on a pea coat.

But it's up to you, of course. This is only style/fashion or whatever, and it's all personal and subjective. I happen to think doing these things makes the coat look better, just as I think buttoning only the middle button on a three-button blazer looks better. And I base a lot of this on the way I have seen the pea coat worn.

I don't know. Check out some images and decide for yourself: Googled images of pea coat wearin'

Last edited:

entropicamerica

Reaction score
I'm very new to this, but a peacoat is weather gear and not a suit jacket, so I'm not sure it's fair to draw a comparison, is it? Everything I've read says that the peacoat should be fully buttoned, even GQ. What are some of the iconic photos you're referring to? It looks like Robert Redford wears it popped and 1-2 buttons undone in "Three Days of the Condor" but I see a lot of old pictures of sailors wearing all the buttons done and collars down... I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fasdff