• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin Chelsea Boot creasing…

JaFra

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I‘m not new to fashion in a sense of streetwear but new to classic menswear and after buying my first pair of chelsea boots from Meermin, I wonder if this kind of creasing is anywhere near normal?? I didn‘t wear them outside once yet…Also, it’s mainly just the right shoe, the left looks far more cleaner. Is this an indicator of bad leather quality?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Attachments

• AB5B2AAB-07AA-419F-84F9-0653B9D72D36.jpeg
    AB5B2AAB-07AA-419F-84F9-0653B9D72D36.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DB6E40F9-04AF-4806-9215-683211B6DB7B.jpeg
    DB6E40F9-04AF-4806-9215-683211B6DB7B.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 116
  • BACF6E1D-8C36-4B19-A7A6-A4189C982240.jpeg
    BACF6E1D-8C36-4B19-A7A6-A4189C982240.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 15C1D751-3C07-472A-A9B3-FE13A88274A4.jpeg
    15C1D751-3C07-472A-A9B3-FE13A88274A4.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 198

Pandaros

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll say on their website what is at bottom the truth - quality leather behaves differently.

These look fine to me. It looks like it's inherent to the leather itself or cause in the manufacturing process as a consequence thereof. In any case, no one looking for it would notice a difference; neither do I think it should give you cause for concern.

These are a fine looking pair of shoes

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calfskin shoes crease. There is no way to avoid creasing in calfskin shoes. It is a fact of life that your shoes will crease. Even leather from fetal cows will crease. Moreover, whenever you have large vamps here with nothing to visually break up the creasing, like broguing or cap toes and the like, it looks more apparent.

There is nothing here that looks out of the ordinary.

Polish these babies up and wear them.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW... poor quality leather can be a factor, but, generally speaking, leather will only crease where the foot flexes or where the fit is off enough to create some slack.

IMO....

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Get some conditioner. These probably just sat in a warehouse for a few months waiting to be sold, so they're a little dry. That's all.

They'll crease in the future where your foot bends, but if you treat them right, they won't crack, they'll just sort of ripple. It'll be fine.

JaFra

Reaction score
First, thanks for all the answers, I appreciate it! Now I know that creasing is normal and trust me, I'm completely fine with that. But I do think it's surprising that only the right shoe shows these kind of cracks in the leather. As I said, they were like this when I unpacked them - I did not wear them once yet.
Also, these cracks (I wouldn't call them creases) are mainly on top of the shoe and the arch where my foot does not bend at all while moving. This gets underlined by the fact that the left shoe does not crease/crack in these areas when I put them on...

I tried to polish them already but there's no sign of improvement...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think the leather is dry and don't think that polish or cream will fix it. @DWFII will know best but looks to me like something called "loose grain" where the layers of leather are more prone to separating from one another. It is normal behavior but some parts of the hide are more prone to this than others.

notdos

Reaction score
I’d say, it’s simply fitment. Remember, shoes are made on different Lasts. I’ve found that a slightly poor fit will cause creasing, but as mentioned above this is minimal.
Using something like Bick4 conditioner, along with a good black cream polish will help the leather last. Wear, ignore the creasing and enjoy.

Phillip

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The photos are hard to understand--in one shot it looks like the finish is damaged, in another, only the creasing is apparent.

A fair example of why really top-notch bespoke shoes are made from only the best areas of the hide--roughly 30%--much of the rest is marginal (offal or nearly so) and certainly not suitable for vamps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads