• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching groomsmen...

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know this a a huge faux pas here, but we are doing it b/c it's the desire of my fiancee and her mother.

additionally, it seems to be relatively commonplace in the NE to have everyone match.

that said, i do NOT want to go with a cheap looking and ill-fitting rental.

a few questions:

1. are there any "decent" suits in the $300 price range? i am thinking maybe J. Crew Factory or Charles Tyrwhitt?

2. if the groomsmen have matching suits do they need/should they have matching shoes?

thank you!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never understood the female obsession with having gauche weddings. Maybe it's a male obsession, too, but I doubt it. In any case, there is no gauche wedding convention or rule book. Either you choose to have the men matching, head to toe, or you don't. You don't need an internet forum to tell you which you'd like to do. As for suits in the $300 price range, good luck. The closest you'll probably get for a decent suit is Suit Supply, but you're still going to ay more than $300.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the female obsession with having gauche weddings. Maybe it's a male obsession, too, but I doubt it. In any case, there is no gauche wedding convention or rule book. Either you choose to have the men matching, head to toe, or you don't. You don't need an internet forum to tell you which you'd like to do. As for suits in the $300 price range, good luck. The closest you'll probably get for a decent suit is Suit Supply, but you're still going to ay more than $300.
J. Crew Factory

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. Again you've answered your own question. J. Crew factory suits are not what I would consider to be a "decent" suit, but if that's what you have to do then go for it. We all have a different outlook on value.
No. I think decent is the Caruso suit I plan on wearing. And I think value is the $500 I'm going to spend on it.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But will they get it tailored? At least with a rental you won’t pay as much and won’t have a ****** suit taking up space in your closet.

But if I may, you seem to have made up your mind on every issue already. So just do what you’re planning, then.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my wedding, while I did buy 3 suits for my groomsmen, I let them pick their own shade of navy so they can wear it for work and other occasions.

They can wear any tie on a white shirt, and any black shoes.
That flies with me. Not my fiancee or her mother.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I’m only trying to help. Have you seen a wedding party in tailored J. Crew Factory suits? It’s worse.
That makes no sense dude. People look better in OTR suits than in something altered specifically for them?

Nahhhh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads