• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

triton

Reaction score
I went to the preview this week. Yes they are getting progressively worse. There is less stock and less quality stock. There's a combination of reasons; I see better quality pieces tending to sell out at full retail – there are now two Sale Stores in the the UK so more stuff doesn't get to the Sample Sale. There was quite a bit of outwear there that I would have purchased but just wasn't in my size - sometimes you luck out on the size but more often you don't. Yes there was more MHL than Mainline. I ended up just purchasing a Mainline shirt - in the past I'd often leave with two large bag fulls of stuff. I'd say don't go out of your way to go, you will probably be disappointed - if there's something you really want buy it on first season retail Sale or through the Sale store.

Agree with all of this. What also hasn't helped is that The Music Rooms, which hosts their sample sales, has moved nearby to a much smaller location. The ratio of women's to men's clothing used to be about 50-50 but it was more like 2:1 this time. There just weren't many rails of men's clothing compared to past sales, and by yesterday afternoon they had been rinsed pretty hard, with no new stock to be put out today. Likely a few good things to be had were you able to get there early yesterday, but a lot of the stock was also full rails of things that I'd seen at previous sample sales - MHL pvc style macs etc - which they don't seem able to shift. A few years ago you could turn up in the afternoon when it was less busy and find MHL staff jackets, mainline Harris tweed outerwear etc - I guess it was fun while it lasted.

sandmountain

Reaction score
Here are the shorts. I sized up to an X - they measure 18.25" flat so basically a 36 in a size X. They use an unusual hook for the closure. I don't remember the style name but I've included the swing tag which shows the style code.

View attachment 2165567 View attachment 2165569 View attachment 2165571
I remember these, weren’t they called the Naval Short or something similar? I like them.

Also, I’m curious what it is it that you don’t like about the Canton jeans?

sandmountain

Reaction score
Carpenter shorts look yucky.
Jorts are a step too far for me if im being honest but I do really like the wide leg shorts this season, i just loved that crunchy linen on the two pleat shorts

Haha, that’s fair. I guess I’m still partial to a lot of skate/streetwear. Do you think they look particularly bad for denim shorts or is just the fact that they’re denim shorts?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally don’t like denim to begin with, denim shorts are the next layer of bad.

Those don’t give me a skater vibe either (those linen two pleats do though, which is part of the appeal), the denim shorts are more like something I can see literal carpenters wearing to Home Depot

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember these, weren’t they called the Naval Short or something similar? I like them.

Also, I’m curious what it is it that you don’t like about the Canton jeans?
I don't remember, did try and look them up on archive.org but couldn't find anything, but the name could have been military related.

Canton Jeans: quality of the denim, the way the jeans are cut and finished, the way the front pockets are sewn through, the oversized back pockets. And the same for the Canton jacket. I don't think MH does denim that well. I did own the Edwin jeans - the green cast selvedge - they were OK but nothing special, sanforized denim that didn't really develop any type of patina over the time I owned them.

sandmountain

Reaction score
I don't remember, did try and look them up on archive.org but couldn't find anything, but the name could have been military related.

Canton Jeans: quality of the denim, the way the jeans are cut and finished, the way the front pockets are sewn through, the oversized back pockets. And the same for the Canton jacket. I don't think MH does denim that well. I did own the Edwin jeans - the green cast selvedge - they were OK but nothing special, sanforized denim that didn't really develop any type of patina over the time I owned them.
Interesting, some of those reasons are why it appeals to me. Yes, I had those same Edwin jeans (I got them for a really good price at the time so I was happy with them). Looks like they still sell that design in Japan, where the Edwin and Canton collaborations seem popular. What denim do you like these days?

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I remember I paid half price for the Edwin/MH jeans - I wore them regularly for around a year and then decided to let them go. They were fine but I didn't love them - probably because the denim was a bit bland. Good question. I wore ROY for many years (while he was still making jeans) and those jeans, various pairs, are probably the best jeans I've ever owned. Sadly I've now either worn them out or sold them off. ROY used Cone denim for all the jeans I owned - some of the ROY shirts were Japanese fabrics. Fairly predictable but whilst LVC was still using Cone I would pick-up various styles on Sale - more for the quality of the denim. A couple of my favourites were the Natural Indigo Waist Overalls and the 1915 Jeans in 11oz - also owned the matching 1915 Sack Coat. Again, I've pretty much either worn out or sold off all of my LVC. The only thing I have left is a Made in the USA Cone Mills Type 1 Jacket. You will laugh but I've been wearing UNIQLO U Selvedge Denim straight cut jeans with denim made by Kaihara Mills for the last couple of years - at £40 a pair full retail (less on clearance) they're the best bang for your buck out there. If I was going down the spendy route right now I'd probably look at FullCount. I like denim but it's not really my main focus.

Last edited:

catchh

Reaction score
I've got a navy linen suit from spring/summer collection a few years ago that I have unfortunately outgrown in size small if anyone is interested? in excellent condition and only worn to a couple of weddings.

SilentPartner

Reaction score
I've got a navy linen suit from spring/summer collection a few years ago that I have unfortunately outgrown in size small if anyone is interested? in excellent condition and only worn to a couple of weddings.
Do you have any measurements? I'm probably a small but MH often fits reaaaal slim

matic

Reaction score
might be interested as well!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads