• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

Donut

Reaction score
Just received the Margaret Howell x Barbour Endurance Parka. This thing is awesome but I'm on the fence with the fit. I feel like its cool in that it looks like an oversized Bedale/Beaufort. On the other hand, I feel like the lack of shape combined with the length makes it look like it swamps me (I'm 5'7"). Would love to hear thoughts.

Pants are also MHL and were also a gr@iled gamble (I'm never too sure on sizing and item quality with some of the Japanese listings). It's a cool linen/wool/cotton mix that's super comfortable and cut great. Just wish the rise was higher.
IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

catchh

Reaction score
Looks good to me. Mine fits me very similarly to yours. It’s definitely a bit oversized and that’s the intention. Just embrace it if you can, it will shape with you and your style in time.

sandmountain

Reaction score
thid is the washed wax cotton military mac from last winter. I was really excited for it and I think it looks alright in this pic but ultimately had to send it back because the shoulders and sleeves fit awkwardly and twisted a lot. The A shape is really pronounced as well irl but I don’t mind that.
Bonus content is pants are the dark khaki single pleats which are great. Really thick, sturdy cotton that should be great once worn in. I need to hem them as usual. Also a cotton/linen mainline beanie from a while back.

View attachment 1882012
I have the same beanie, I think. But it’s MHL not mainline? Cotton and linen. Really, the perfect fabric for cooler weather here in Queensland. I’ve given away my other cashmere/merino beanies since I no longer have use for them (never gets cold enough) but they were great in Melbourne. I really hope they come out with another one, because mine is currently on its last legs. I think I wear it everyday for about 6-months of the year.

sandmountain

Reaction score
Just received the Margaret Howell x Barbour Endurance Parka. This thing is awesome but I'm on the fence with the fit. I feel like its cool in that it looks like an oversized Bedale/Beaufort. On the other hand, I feel like the lack of shape combined with the length makes it look like it swamps me (I'm 5'7"). Would love to hear thoughts.

Pants are also MHL and were also a gr@iled gamble (I'm never too sure on sizing and item quality with some of the Japanese listings). It's a cool linen/wool/cotton mix that's super comfortable and cut great. Just wish the rise was higher.
View attachment 1882574
View attachment 1882575
Interesting, this is baggier than I expected it to look based on how it’s styled on the website.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the same beanie, I think. But it’s MHL not mainline? Cotton and linen. Really, the perfect fabric for cooler weather here in Queensland. I’ve given away my other cashmere/merino beanies since I no longer have use for them (never gets cold enough) but they were great in Melbourne. I really hope they come out with another one, because mine is currently on its last legs. I think I wear it everyday for about 6-months of the year.

yep it’s MHL beanie. I’d love to get some other colours, hopefully this season.
I’m in Sydney btw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1882574
View attachment 1882575

I think you have to make that call for yourself. It looks ok, but I can also see your concern about the overall length and roominess. Additionally, sleeve cuffs that come down my wrists that much always make it seem more like 'this isn't my size'.

Donut

Reaction score
Appreciate the opinions guys. It’s a really cool piece and I like it but I don’t “love it”. So, I’m open to selling it for what I got plus shipping ($325+shipping). It’s an XS and I typically wear a S (5’7” 160lb), sometimes a M. This can definitely fit between an S-M with room to layer. There’s a small stain on the back that I’ll try to remove with tech wash before sending out.

catchh

Reaction score
Doing some inventory clean-up. Have a lot of beautiful stuff up for sale, all like new condition and a couple new with tags. Size medium. PM if you are interested and I will lower the price here too!

sandmountain

Reaction score
yep it’s MHL beanie. I’d love to get some other colours, hopefully this season.
I’m in Sydney btw
Nice, I used to live in Sydney. Grew up there, but have been moving around Australia for a little bit. Not sure if I’ll settle here in South-East Queensland or move back to Sydney.

I saw that there are a few stores in Australia that started stocking MHL from last season (just a very small range). Above the Clouds in Surry Hills and Up There Store in Melbourne. I remember Incu used to stock MHL briefly. I’m guessing it must not have sold well for them.

I find MHL/Margaret Howell tricky in this climate, especially up here in Queensland. The Autumn/Winter collections are like 80% incompatible with the weather here. I have a few saddle neck crews and a couple of other stuff for the one or two days of the year that get mildly cold! On the other hand, the Spring/Summer collections are far more tempting, I have to watch I don’t spend too much money this season! The S/S clothes are pretty much good for all year round, but sometimes I wish they would make some stuff in even lighter fabrics!

sandmountain

Reaction score
3514A1B6-E104-4E2C-87D0-07463E0B1E83.jpeg
626EF3BC-4029-44BD-9A3F-6E2EF07CE8EF.jpeg

Saw that there are a few more new releases trickling through the online store (and in the Japanese online store, too). I’m very tempted by the MHL hoodie, really like the fabric they use for the sweats. The indigo is probably what I’ll end up buying, but the off-white is really nice.

682309C8-4A14-4BAC-9AD3-453C689EA04B.jpeg

I also really like the look of the MHL Deck Coat, might have to wait for the sales on that one as it’s a tad expensive for me.

sandmountain

Reaction score

Nice job. Can you work your magic and find any SS23 MHL looks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads