• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you know what? bottom line is, if you're looking for Hong Kong level tailors in Manila (and I'm not talking about WW Chan or Ah Man) then good luck. I would even dare say that the Indian tailor/tourist traps in Nathan Road would do better, and at least the fabric used isn't some polyester piece of crap that won't even be used for a hazmat suit. for the money you throw away finding a good "suit maker" here, and if you're living in this country I would just as soon get a good Barong made and rock the **** out of it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wear barongs but if I do I'd take a look at Silk Cocoon. most of what they display are garish but they do have nice fabrics.

Last edited:

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1.) I don't really go to formal events, so I'm pretty happy with an unstructured blazer (keeping the weather here in mind). I would like to know the opinions of UNIQLO's no lining suits (the ones that are going for P2,400 if I'm not mistaken), as they seem comfy and fashionable enough for everyday use.

I have three of those unlined Uniqlo sport coats and am pretty happy with them.

macxchange

Reaction score
For those who are more adventurous and can go to Divisoria, there's an alley there called Ylaya and try to find the shop of Mr. Benson Kua (dubbed as hidden Saville Row in PH). This is where the designers/bespoke tailors get their stash.

Benson Kua | Ylaya, Pasilio S14

16575121599_a83604daa5_z.jpg

16735375026_b9cab1f120_z.jpg

16735374736_5a33f9fd73_z.jpg

You can request for swatches and also buy beautiful inner linnings there. I can share his contact details over PM. :)

Last edited:

ASCChan

Reaction score
If anybody is interested, I have access to sources of pure wool fabric factory overruns. No tags or labels though that can identify the mill or the quality of the fabric, but confirmed the fabric content through burn tests. The only problem will be the limited qusntities available. Prices should start around 300-500 pesos depending on the fabric. On the other hand, I can also order remanants from some wool mills in Italy, with labels, but have to order on a per ton basis. Problem will be the color and length igbghe fabric, a hit or miss really but at 600-1000 pesos roughly per yard, no matter the quality (could get super 150s in the batch) its a bargain.

Last edited:

ASCChan

Reaction score
Heheh he has made in Italy, China and UK, China ”wool" priced at ridiculous amounts. Remembered buying something for 600 per yard from him that I later on saw being sold for 150 per yard.

deuce2

Reaction score
Hey stylish guys of Manila. I'm heading to Hong Kong to commission 2 suits using CMT.
I'm thinking to buy the fabric in Manila at the mall as I read that they are well regarded in this forum. I'm looking for fabrics with super number 150s and above.

Is the price difference of the fabrics bought in Manila and Hong Kong substantial? Same question goes for the amount of selection?

Also looking to buy horn and shell buttons there.. Any recommendation?

Thank you

ASCChan

Reaction score
Hi Deuce

All the fabric being sold here are fake cheap poly wool crap fram China, with made in Italy, UK, France tags. Super numbers are also obviously fake. Just get everthing in Hong Kong. Sham Shui Po for buttons, zippers and stuff. There are also cheap fabrics there, bug not branded. Go to Saviero Limited for Italian and British fabrics, complete with tags, price of 400-600 hkd for super 100s to super 130s.A guy or shop by the name of Peter Lee is also very popular in this forum for fabrics. Dlso you can try http://www.lhshk.com.hk.

blitzmage

Reaction score
There are no importers of high-end fabric. Many of the fabrics come from China. The mid-level ones being used by local designers come from Korea while a very select few import fabric from Japan. Don't believe people when they tell you it's Italian wool. They can make such a remark because fabric doesnt have a "Made in Italy" stamped on them.

I do recommend taking advantage of the affordable labor and having some bespoke pants made. The thing with trousers is that fit is not only important, it's very difficult to find the right one off the rack. If it's just for casual wear meant to be used and abused, $25 bespoke trousers are certainly better than buying something off the rack from a department store or H&M.

Last edited:

deuce2

Reaction score
@ascchan @blitzmage
Thanks for the feedback guys. I would have a few shirts and trousers made at cornell's.
where would you recommend to have a waistcoat done in Manila?

chris.tan

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find a cotton linen blend in white? I've only been able to find linen, but the wrinkling is uncontrollable in the Philippines humidity. I have to starch it to levis stf level to prevent the wrinkles.
I couldn't find any at kamuning when I visited 6 months ago.

Versace Guy

Reaction score
There's a Zegna store in Greenbelt, why not just get your suit there?

ASCChan

Reaction score

Anyone know where i can find a cotton linen blend in white? I've only been able to find linen, but the wrinkling is uncontrollable in the Philippines humidity. I have to starch it to levis stf level to prevent the wrinkles.
I couldn't find any at kamuning when I visited 6 months ago.

Hi Chris

I have suppliers for cotton linen, but you need to order full rolls of 50 meters unfortunately. From my knowledge, nobody locally carries these types of fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics