• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the obvious comparison of Ted vs. Don in the area of infidelity. It was very apparent when Don & Megan bumped into Ted & Peggy that it was yet another Ted/Don comparison.

Ted: obvious, everyone knows, does not score

Don: never obvious, few if any ever know (particularly at work), always lands his prize

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really agree with how Don handled the cost overrun issue. Weren't the horses out of the barn at that point - they were already way over budget, no? Seems like the thing to do would have been talk to the other partners about it and reach consensus on how to deal with it - either internalize the cost overrun because it's really great work and will benefit the company or have a sit down with the client and try to get them to approve the overage. In any event that meeting shouldn't have been used as an attempt to "teach" Ted a lesson.

My understanding is that Don called the client when he realized how expensive the ad was going to be and the client interrupted casting so the money hadn't been spent yet. Perhaps there would have been time to call a quick partners meeting to discuss beforehand but it did all seem to happen quickly.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No one has mentioned the obvious comparison of Ted vs. Don in the area of infidelity. It was very apparent when Don & Megan bumped into Ted & Peggy that it was yet another Ted/Don comparison.
Ted: obvious, everyone knows, does not score
Don: never obvious, few if any ever know (particularly at work), always lands his prize

well, don is far better looking and much more suave. in creativity ted seems to be tops when he is on his game, but in looking and acting sechsay, don has that by a country mile.

it was never something that ted seemed to strive for, and i think he is in new territory, hence the giggling and ****. and as well, i dont think peggy was ever really fawned over by a "ted" before, just grunts like stan basically saying, "yo, wanna ****?"

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Glen's creepy factor has been reduced greatly.

Wasn't the Tropicana thing really out of Don's control at this point? He told Harry Crane to kill it, but when Tropicana came back with a proposal he has a fiduciary duty to his partners to submit the offer to them - assuming that he did and not Harry.

I don't really agree with how Don handled the cost overrun issue. Weren't the horses out of the barn at that point - they were already way over budget, no? Seems like the thing to do would have been talk to the other partners about it and reach consensus on how to deal with it - either internalize the cost overrun because it's really great work and will benefit the company or have a sit down with the client and try to get them to approve the overage. In any event that meeting shouldn't have been used as an attempt to "teach" Ted a lesson.

That's what they were trying to do and it was not working. Even Don's "Dead man's dying idea" only got them to bump them up to 25k. The remaining 25k sounds like a fair amount to internalize just because an ad is great.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isnt' that basically how the meeting went anyway? They got halfway through casting which would have eaten up 75% of the original budget anyways. So either they pay out of SC&P pockets to complete the project or they scrap the project and deliver a product using a remaining 25% of the original budget? Better thing for Don to do would be go to the Partners, explain the situation and have a sit down with Ted and explain that they almost lost a client because Ted has bedroom eyes for Peggy. I know "tattling" isn't what Draper does, but it would have been the more responsible thing to do in this situation.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what they were trying to do and it was not working. Even Don's "Dead man's dying idea" only got them to bump them up to 25k. The remaining 25k sounds like a fair amount to internalize just because an ad is great.[/quote

They were doing it ex-post though, which is a big difference.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He proved his point without having to rat them out. Lesson was taught, client still on board, Don still has a mini meltdown anyways.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many more times will Ted do **** for Don even though he had his little fit about "does your word mean anything here?"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

well, don is far better looking and much more suave. in creativity ted seems to be tops when he is on his game, but in looking and acting sechsay, don has that by a country mile.

it was never something that ted seemed to strive for, and i think he is in new territory, hence the giggling and ****. and as well, i dont think peggy was ever really fawned over by a "ted" before, just grunts like stan basically saying, "yo, wanna ****?"

This needed to be said? :confused:

I'm also not sure I agree with the bolded.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its the subtlety IS is known for.

Anyone else notice there was a seemingly throwaway moment where Don kind of dismissed research or downplayed its importance (can't recall which) in the episode before last. Just thought it was funny because advertising was changing from purely emotive to all analytically done. (How many Carousel presentations has Don made recently?)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm also not sure I agree with the bolded.

i wouldnt say needed. i just wanted to elaborate on the point. its my signature move.

i wouldnt say he is THE BEST EVAR!! but he has put out some solid stuff. crushed don with the heinz and may have had a better idea for chevy. hes no creative slouch.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its the subtlety IS is known for.

Anyone else notice there was a seemingly throwaway moment where Don kind of dismissed research or downplayed its importance (can't recall which) in the episode before last. Just thought it was funny because advertising was changing from purely emotive to all analytically done. (How many Carousel presentations has Don made recently?)
research was an issue in the very first episode

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i wouldnt say needed. i just wanted to elaborate on the point. its my signature move.

i wouldnt say he is THE BEST EVAR!! but he has put out some solid stuff. crushed don with the heinz and may have had a better idea for chevy. hes no creative slouch.

Stitchy, Stitchy. Ted 100% did not crush Don over Heinz. Not even close did Ted crush Don there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics