• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac Mini as Media Centre?

turboman808

Reaction score
I took a look at the Mac Mini and it really isn't a very good computer and even a worse HTPC. No HDMI, no blueray. So why?

I can get a nice HTPC for about $600. A full blown Dell Studio Hybrid is still less then $1000 with all the bells and whistles.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
HDMI and DVI video are the same spec as far as video goes, but I'd like to see you try and wring any audio out of a DVI connection. It may not be a huge deal to some people, but its just an additional wire, adapter, and hookup that you would't need with an actual htpc.

montyharding

Reaction score
That depends on how your system is hooked up. HDMI is good for direct connections but if you're not relying on your TV for audio then there are additional complications.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So to sum up learnings from the input so far (in no particular order):

1. The Mac Mini is not really a media centre by design, and has serious limitations that would be exposed by trying to shoe-horn it into such a role. The new model to be announced at MacWorld may address some of those issues, but that can only be rumour at this stage and it is unlikely that it would vault to the front row in the HTPC stakes because that is not really its target market. (Latter is my own interpretation. Seems to me that it is targeted at a market that wants form factor and price point ahead of inbuilt capabilities).

2. While I have no immediate need for BR, I should probably add it to my requirements, from a future-proofing POV. Doubtless I will lust for HD DVD at some point in the not-too-distant future.

3. That decision implies that I am re-framing the problem. In the OP, it was to replace a defective PVR and STB with a single unit, to both improve and simplify the system. Now it is more an issue of upgrading the system to achieve the above and also address some unmet capabilities, such as hi-def DVD.

4. Now that is clear, it is time to pause and think about what those unmet capabilities are, and what I can afford to buy. That said, prices and available solutions in the US may bear little resemblance to those here. Suggested solutions are very welcome, but not all of them might be available here at the right price.

5. Brett made the good point about control. I have a Harmony programmable universal remote, which I was assuming I could use for the new setup. A little research into what can be programmed throught the Harmony will be necessary before buying.

6. As always with any video device, disk space should be as much as possible. Our Tivo is always close to maxed out, and that's only for the programs recorded by it. If we were to add the multi-media on the various Windows PCs and Macs we have around the place, we would need way more, as many have pointed out.

7. In terms of the format wars, Windows appears to be the winner. This is not a problem for me - we can handle configuring either Mac or Windows. AY mentioned Linux. To be honest I had not considered that, but I feel that the skills sets of the operators (i.e. nil) rules it out as an option.

8. Buy vs Build is a bit of a no-brainer for me. Time is the constraint - none of us has any. The last PC any of us built took about 6 months to get organised and assembled, and that was by the least busy of us. I could buy best-of-breed components and pay some trusted mates to assemble them, but I wouldn't get the guarantees on workmanship.

9. Likely to need 2 dual-tuner cards (love my live rewind :) )

10. A possible option might be to replace the STB with an ATV. We have 5.1 surround sound, so I'm not certain that's a viable solution - I'm not clear on the ATV's surround capabilities.

11. I will soon take possession of a 2.53GHz MacBook Pro that I don't need (long story). I could possibly integrate this into the solution, maybe with an ATV, or flog it to fund something more suited to the task. The latter route seems to me to be more likely to lead to a clean and integrated solution.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
That depends on how your system is hooked up. HDMI is good for direct connections but if you're not relying on your TV for audio then there are additional complications.

Not really. You can use a HDMI receiver or like I do everything goes into the TV. The TV passes it thru an optical cable. That connects to a Digital to analog converter and into my tube amp.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with ATV is that it does not have PVR capabilities, but if your media is only on iTunes, it's a really nice device.

On Linux, with MythTV set up correctly, it won't be any harder to use than a Tivo. The good PVR software out there (MythTV, BeyondTV, SageTV, etc.) all hide the OS they're running on, and should appear no different than a regular device.

Remote control of Linux or Windows (or a Mac for that matter) isn't too hard. There's software and USB-connected IR receivers that can let you use a normal remote control. I use a wireless keyboard for my HTPC along with a Harmony remote control for the rest of the system.

--Andre

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Always, always, always build your HTPCs, unless you can get someone else to build them for you. It'll be cheaper, have more storage, and do more stuff. The only issue you might run into with this rout is HDCP/Encryption protection issues, but those issues are disappearing as HTPC technology becomes more common place. Plus with DIY, you can run Blueray for $80-100, which is astounding.

Unfortunately, there will always be some issues with cable encryption, because said companies really don't want you recording unlimited video to your system. Instead, they want you to record limited video to their outrageously expensive DVRs. I'm of the opinion that cable companies should die in a fire, but if you need to DVR your Sex in the City it might be difficult for the foreseeable future.

I myself run a fully DIY HTPC running Windows XP MCE (freaking Creative refuses to release a good Linux sound card driver). The build is heavy on storage more than other components, which was a mistake on my part. My next purchase will be a Blueray drive and ever so much more RAM, since whenever I try to encode or decode something it bogs down like crazy. I also suggest mATX or smaller, since it allows a much more pleasing form factor for the case.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just wanted to congratulate Tokyo Slim for his dispassionate and well-reasoned response to the question.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
If you're going to build your own HTPC, here's a really nice link that has lots of suggestions for all price ranges and different applications: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...940972&page=85 Both BD decode and HDCP DRM issues can be taken care of with a decent video card that's not too expensive. --Andre
Can a system like that get hbo or the other encrypted channels or is the ati cablecard the only one still?

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
STB is malfunctioning and destined for the scrap-heap.
The problem is that a cablecard tuner can only be had AFAIK with new PC's equipped with e.g. the ATI Wonder cablecard tuners. The Dell XPS 420 is such a PC for for example. The Hauppauge solution I mentioned earlier is one of the few which allows for 'premium' HD cable to be recorded by a combination of the IR blaster (an IR transmitter which will change channels on the STB) and the Component recording. This of course assumes that the STB you choose will support output over Component. If HD is out of the game then it gets a whole lot easier - but nowadays I think you have to factor in HD. If you want to leave TV recording out, then as I mentioned the Apple TV - or the also aforementioned Popcorn Hour - is a simple choice. And as I also said, you might be more comfortable with the ATV.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Can a system like that get hbo or the other encrypted channels or is the ati cablecard the only one still?

Unfortunately, you still need the cablecard if you want to see full HD on that kind of system. You could also record the analog outputs (like the component outputs) as has been mentioned, but some set top boxes don't let out full HD through their analog outputs.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads