• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That twill looks very nice. Every time I enter this thread I want to make another purchase. Two voices in my head fight for control whil my index finger hovers over the add to cart button.
"Go ahead purchase the fabric as long as it's in stock! it could run out any second!"
"No pace yourself, let's wait for the odd twenty outstanding orders to arrive yet!"

I fell like a sartorial smeagol.

J T Fuentes

Reaction score
@ShawnBC Thanks! Took the design from a pair of Eidos pants I saw online, given there my first pair I more than happy how they turned out.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you sent measurements from a well fitting pair of trousers?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My second shirt from Luxire and first pair of trousers: a navy denim chambray shirt (washed to lighten) and chinos in British Khaki Twill Chino 9oz. I am very pleased with the order particularly the shirt, especially given the back and forth I had in order to correct for the significant drop in my right shoulder. Have to say I highly recommend the twill, nice weight to it but yet still soft.
Apologies for the poor quality pics!
Shirt looks nice too. Very clean without the placket and pocket. I like that fabric.

J T Fuentes

Reaction score
Yeah I had a 2 pairs of trousers with a more traditional/formal higher rise which I was happy with, and then took the lower leg measurements from a pair of more contemporary (slimmer) fitting trousers, essentially a mix of different aspects of various trousers. Measuring and then re-measuring I feel is what helped the most.

@FrankCowperwood Yeah it has a great feel to it too after being washed, I love the fabric so much I'm thinking of getting a one piece collar made up in it for next spring summer

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My second shirt from Luxire and first pair of trousers: a navy denim chambray shirt (washed to lighten) and chinos in British Khaki Twill Chino 9oz. I am very pleased with the order particularly the shirt, especially given the back and forth I had in order to correct for the significant drop in my right shoulder. Have to say I highly recommend the twill, nice weight to it but yet still soft.

Apologies for the poor quality pics!

Awesome collar sir! Which collar and/or order number did you reference, or is this a stock collar design? Thanks

Xtra

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with crotch blowout on Luxire denim?

I got all three varieties of Luxire selvedge denim (14 oz dark, 13 oz dark, 13 oz raw) and 2/3 have suffered similar fate.

2/3 (13 oz dark/13 oz raw) have been fixed/patched at a seamstress one time, but now it is a problem again, e.g. would require a second patching. Yes, I could probably do it myself for a a lower sum than at the seamstress but I'm not handy at all.

To me, this makes the value of their selvedge denim a bit lower, as 99$ + shipping + potential repairs = somewhat expensive.

FYI - the 13 oz raw was shipped to me approx. August 2013 and the 13 oz dark in October 2013. The last one which has no blowout was shipped end of April 2014.

I'm asking because I'm curious as to whether other members has noticed a similar trend with either Luxire's denim or other trousers they offer. Or in the case that this is something you have to count on when buying denim - how much time does it normally take to reach this stage?

And btw the 14 oz dark selvedge denim is really nice!

Last edited:

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"No pace yourself, let's wait for the odd twenty outstanding orders to arrive yet!"

That one is the only voice that slows me down. There are practical reasons for waiting until my last 2 orders show up before I place new orders for similarly fitting items.

I check the status page and I'm like "MY ORDER IS UNFULFILLED AND SO AM I"

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What collar is that? I really like the combination of the collar and the denim shirt.

Rincon

Reaction score
Does anyone have qualms about taking designs from brands (Eidos is mentioned here for instance) and essentially copying them with luxire?

Not sure where I stand myself.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have qualms about taking designs from brands (Eidos is mentioned here for instance) and essentially copying them with luxire?

I think this will lead to the same discussion as «homage watch being pretty similar in design to the original piece - a Submariner homage, for example». Most will say that a piece of clothing looking similar to the original (Eidos, in this case), without having a logo claiming to be something it's not (hence, a fake and not a homage), is alright.

matt22616

Reaction score

It's been nearly four years since I took my law school's intro Intellectual Property course, so I'm not privy to all the new ****, but I recall this being a very hip issue at the time. Here are my notes on the topic from the first class:

"Why do we have IP protection in some areas and not in others? Fashion is the most prevalent creative industry that is not protected by IP law. Why? (Note:
Brush up on fashion IP policy, likely exam topic. Some reasons why it is not protected might be because there are enough non-legal incentives).
We must give an 'incentive' to individuals in order to encourage industry. One form of an incentive is giving the creator an 'exclusive right', or 'exclusivity', to the
use of that creation. The result of which is that the creation will demand a higher price. You can also provide incentives in 'lead-time'. Because the fashion
industry moves so quickly, you can still profit from the creation by being first, and don't necessarily need an exclusive right to that creation. Another type of
incentive is 'reputation', which also factors into the incentives available to the fashion industry. How much incentive do we need to make a copy? (Note: These
are utilitarian reasons, think of the incentives as the 'benefits' and access as the the 'costs' of IP)."

I remember our professor mentioning the U.S. has been very close to passing copyright protection for designs, but the attempts have always failed due to strong lobbying. Two notable legislative exceptions are the Semiconductor Chip Protection Act and the Vessel Hull Design Protection Act. I think these carve-outs make sense: No one would dream of dedicating years of their lives developing unique semiconductors or hull designs (both resource intensive enterprises) if their designs could be copied by competing companies immediately upon their release (a very simplistic economic/policy analysis of course, but I'm tired and full of wine).

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My observations on this topic:

1. In classic menswear, most design elements have been around for generations. So, a long waistband, or Hollywood waist, or side adjusters, or back adjusters or elastic adjusters or cuffs, or button cuffs or button fly or slant pocket or straight pocket have been there forever.
Most "designs" will be a combination of these or more element. Difficult to claim a combination to be unique over time, or to be claimed to be original.

We cannot, for example, make a copy of say Eidos pants, add a split waistband, rearrange the belt-loops and claim it to be original though the combination of elements may be unique.

2. In some of the other styles, which we get requests for replication, we see strong influences from previous works. Most of the same design elements added/removed/rearranged in manners done many times in the past as well. I will give an example that can be looked up by the curious with some efforts. We made 2 cotton jackets with 4 patch packets. One was green and the other was navy. The customer had sent us an image of the jacket made by a popular designer. We looked up the image and thanks to Google image search, saw a very similar design by YSL made a few seasons ago.
If we break down the design into elements, the patch pockets, the stand collar, the arm pocket etc, they all have again been around for ages. Again difficult to claim the combination of elements to be unique, but can possibly be by a small margin on a few designs.

3. The third aspect can be things like ladies bags or some items companies like Visvim make. These have been evolving and sometimes have unique design elements and very unique combinations. Replicating those can be termed as making a "fake". It is an area where we are still trying to devise a policy for.

Quirky field:
We had made a sample work-shirt based on a vintage design with changes some time ago. A customer wrote to us and wanted to get it made with some changes and his own label. We agreed. Later, it was claimed on some forums that we copied his design onto our work shirt even though own design was published much before the new brand did, with our made shirts.
Even more interesting was that each element on the new brand was based on either our design or other vintage styles.

IP on clothing design, on most menswear we currently see, will be difficult to claim.

This is my opinion, open for discussion and review. I am no lawyer and do not claim to be an expert on the topic.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads