• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles Suiting

matthewhmb

Reaction score
Hey after all my searching I still do not seem to have any clue where to get a decent ready to wear suit here in Los Angeles. I am not looking to go bespoke or MTM if I do not have to. Would love to keep in under $1000, otherwise would that just put me close enough to the bespoke category anyways?. My suits do not come out of the closet often so can't rationalize over spending here but do not want junk at the same time, ha. Buying used is tricky as well for my particular sizing.

So I'm curious to hear if anyone has suggestions of off the rack suits to physically try on and see in person here in the Los Angeles area.

poppies77

Reaction score
Suit Supply has a couple of locations here. There's also El Segundo Tailors on Main Street in El Segundo; good quality and price there. They mostly do MTM, but I've found stuff there to work right off the rack.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Sid Mashburn has a shop in Santa Monica. His Kincaid #2 model is just under $1K and seems like a good product.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I guess if suit supply is in my target price I am going to have to up my budget ha.

What's the beef with SS? They offer ready-to-wear in the $400-to-1000 price range, with a few styles. Quite trendy, but despite being relatively slim fit by intent, their product fits many body types. And their quality is acceptable at the price, and to me seems significantly above many "better" brands selling their lower-end lines at the price.

But that's not to say that suitsupply is the correct answer. Please do not think I am brow-beating you! Rather, to be clear, I think we all want to know what specifically concerns you, or is inadequate for your expectations, so that we may point you to a better fit.

matthewhmb

Reaction score
What's the beef with SS? They offer ready-to-wear in the $400-to-1000 price range, with a few styles. Quite trendy, but despite being relatively slim fit by intent, their product fits many body types. And their quality is acceptable at the price, and to me seems significantly above many "better" brands selling their lower-end lines at the price.

But that's not to say that suitsupply is the correct answer. Please do not think I am brow-beating you! Rather, to be clear, I think we all want to know what specifically concerns you, or is inadequate for your expectations, so that we may point you to a better fit.
Suit Supply simply does not fit for me. I do not work with their "slim" fits and I feel that their suits look cheap to me.

I really am in need of a a specific color palette for this event coming up and a dark brown would be ideal if not a dark green as a 2nd. The Kincaid does not come in a color I need.

I can get bespoke for starting at 1300 in koreatown, you would think something off a shelf would come in at a lower price and be of quality enough.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
SS loves to size down. If going one size up (or even two) doesn't result in a good fit, then you're probably best avoiding them. Not fun to spend a lot to buy a suit that isn't close, and then spend a lot more tailoring it. Makes perfect sense.

There is in fact *considerable* overlap between the lowest cost bespoke (and MTM) offerings, and higher end ready-to-wear offerings. Especially when you add the cost of tailoring RTW.

The primary risk is that the lowest cost bespoke tailors might actually be garbage, and you won't know for sure until you've already put a lot of time into the process; buying RTW/OTR means knowing up front that the garment is of a quality you find acceptable (though it will probably need tailoring.) The secondary risk is that you will end up at a shop doing bespoke/MTM off of patterns or a house style that doesn't actually work well for you, and that you don't know enough to choose a different place; and, secondarily, that the tailor will guide you towards a style or fit or details that you don't actually like. Sometimes, you find out you don't like it a few months later, after reviewing the product with fresh eyes. For these reasons, this forum tends to guide people to RTW/OTR for their first big purchase(s). For cost reasons also, this forum tends to guide people away from fixating on details like fully-canvassed, which can add considerable cost (IIRC, at SS you pay $1000 instead of $600), but not necessarily a benefit that actually gets used and appreciated (versus merely admired in theory.)

So with all that said, I think it's important for you to spell out the exact details you want (or think you want), and the reasons why ("I want it" is reason enough, but deeper reasons help more.) Since you mentioned SS looking cheap, obviously you'd want to figure out why it looks cheap so you can avoid competing products with a similar-to-you look.

Similarly, if you're looking at bespoke options (or options billing themselves as bespoke), you should look very carefully at what they are offering to decide if it actually fits your needs. Are you comparing against a $1300 offering because you like it more than anything you've seen (for less than $1300) or are you comparing against a $1300 offering because it has a bespoke label slapped over it?

Since you bring it up: I assume you've also looked at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/bespoke-in-los-angeles.693047/ One popular option is Divij Bespoke (Hemrajani), seemingly permanently available at Costa Mesa. IIRC their cost is somewhere around $1600-1700 today, and multiple forum members show quality work from them.

More personally: I had a similar problem of cost-value leading to scope creep. I decided I wanted only fully canvassed jackets, and it seemed at the time that the most reasonably-affordable full-price suits with a fully canvassed jacket were in the $1000 range for a two-piece, plus tailoring. I found that the US-HK bespoke strategy got me a much better result for around the same price, or maybe a little more. It did take several months, though. I don't regret it at all and now have a semi regular relationship with the tailor (in fact, going there tomorrow.) But it was a gamble that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to anyone going for their first quality suit purchase. I wouldn't not-recommend it either, but just caution anyone to be careful with budgets, timeframes, and expectations. In retrospect, I bet I could have found something I liked for a fair bit under $1000 for a three-piece, even after including tailoring, but it would have required me to have both knowledge of what I wanted, and persistence to find it, that at the time I did not have. Since you're in a similar position, that's my advice to you: do your best to figure out exactly what you want, accomplished by trying on a bunch of RTW stuff and taking notes on what you like, what you don't like, and the prices of the clothes. In LA you'd probably find something you love, within your budget, though you'll probably need it tailored to change fit from good to great. But you'll need to try a fair bit to make it happen.

matthewhmb

Reaction score
SS loves to size down. If going one size up (or even two) doesn't result in a good fit, then you're probably best avoiding them. Not fun to spend a lot to buy a suit that isn't close, and then spend a lot more tailoring it. Makes perfect sense.

There is in fact *considerable* overlap between the lowest cost bespoke (and MTM) offerings, and higher end ready-to-wear offerings. Especially when you add the cost of tailoring RTW.

The primary risk is that the lowest cost bespoke tailors might actually be garbage, and you won't know for sure until you've already put a lot of time into the process; buying RTW/OTR means knowing up front that the garment is of a quality you find acceptable (though it will probably need tailoring.) The secondary risk is that you will end up at a shop doing bespoke/MTM off of patterns or a house style that doesn't actually work well for you, and that you don't know enough to choose a different place; and, secondarily, that the tailor will guide you towards a style or fit or details that you don't actually like. Sometimes, you find out you don't like it a few months later, after reviewing the product with fresh eyes. For these reasons, this forum tends to guide people to RTW/OTR for their first big purchase(s). For cost reasons also, this forum tends to guide people away from fixating on details like fully-canvassed, which can add considerable cost (IIRC, at SS you pay $1000 instead of $600), but not necessarily a benefit that actually gets used and appreciated (versus merely admired in theory.)

So with all that said, I think it's important for you to spell out the exact details you want (or think you want), and the reasons why ("I want it" is reason enough, but deeper reasons help more.) Since you mentioned SS looking cheap, obviously you'd want to figure out why it looks cheap so you can avoid competing products with a similar-to-you look.

Similarly, if you're looking at bespoke options (or options billing themselves as bespoke), you should look very carefully at what they are offering to decide if it actually fits your needs. Are you comparing against a $1300 offering because you like it more than anything you've seen (for less than $1300) or are you comparing against a $1300 offering because it has a bespoke label slapped over it?

Since you bring it up: I assume you've also looked at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/bespoke-in-los-angeles.693047/ One popular option is Divij Bespoke (Hemrajani), seemingly permanently available at Costa Mesa. IIRC their cost is somewhere around $1600-1700 today, and multiple forum members show quality work from them.

More personally: I had a similar problem of cost-value leading to scope creep. I decided I wanted only fully canvassed jackets, and it seemed at the time that the most reasonably-affordable full-price suits with a fully canvassed jacket were in the $1000 range for a two-piece, plus tailoring. I found that the US-HK bespoke strategy got me a much better result for around the same price, or maybe a little more. It did take several months, though. I don't regret it at all and now have a semi regular relationship with the tailor (in fact, going there tomorrow.) But it was a gamble that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to anyone going for their first quality suit purchase. I wouldn't not-recommend it either, but just caution anyone to be careful with budgets, timeframes, and expectations. In retrospect, I bet I could have found something I liked for a fair bit under $1000 for a three-piece, even after including tailoring, but it would have required me to have both knowledge of what I wanted, and persistence to find it, that at the time I did not have. Since you're in a similar position, that's my advice to you: do your best to figure out exactly what you want, accomplished by trying on a bunch of RTW stuff and taking notes on what you like, what you don't like, and the prices of the clothes. In LA you'd probably find something you love, within your budget, though you'll probably need it tailored to change fit from good to great. But you'll need to try a fair bit to make it happen.
I have looked at the bespoke forum and one of them on there will do bespoke for 1000 if you supply youre own fabric. This could be an option and I do know of people who have used him and like his work and from what I saw I did.

Just interesting in Los Angeles there is no decent place to shop and get a good feel to start. You would think there would be something good.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
You may not find what you like there, but every large department store that has a men's section will have suits. Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Sak's, Nordstrom, etc. If you go to each, the worst you will do is take specific notes on what does not work for you (quality, color, fit, style), which will make it easier to be specific for what you're looking for.

CMT (supplying your own fabric) is a risky business as well. It's like bringing auto parts to your mechanic. Even when you find one who doesn't mind you doing it, you're still committing to buying parts yourself (rather than having them find the "right" part or looking through their huge books of cloths), without expert advice, and if you buy it and it doesn't work you're probably on the hook for a fair bit of money. Usually cloth isn't even marked up all that much; you're mostly paying for labor and guidance. The real benefit to CMT is: picking exactly what you want from a wider set of offerings than a tailor maintains; finding something unique, often vintage; saving on a huge cloth markup if there is a huge cloth markup.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Just interesting in Los Angeles there is no decent place to shop and get a good feel to start. You would think there would be something good."

Why should there be? I've been to LA many times , Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc.
One rarely sees tailored clothing on anyone any more. Twenty, thirty years ago there
were more shops plus the old Brooks Bros, which had very decent clothing, not like
today. I live in the Bay Area. It's probably worse here. I shop mostly online mainly
because I dislike the " Italian for the American Market" styles the high end shops feature. If you can, wait for the Mashburn sale. If there are any Brooks Bros left
in LA, check them out along with Nordstrom's. Also annoying, are sales help who
are clueless about their own merchandise let alone style and fit. Some of the
sales people at my local Norstrom's seem to be on "work-release" programs.
If you are interested in a pure trad Ivy suit, O'Connells has them fully canvassed
for under $1000. Of course you'll need a competent tailor for alterations or a
trip to sunny Buffalo in time for a late winter blizzard. Good luck. I feel your
pain.

Last edited:

poppies77

Reaction score
Hmmm, I had forgotten there's a Brooks Brothers at Del Amo mall in Torrance. That might be a good option to at least explore, as long as you understand the employees will likely be unhelpful.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Just interesting in Los Angeles there is no decent place to shop and get a good feel to start. You would think there would be something good.

Not that surprising, as LA is just a cesspool of temporarily embarrassed billionaires and future Oscar winners copying the stylings of noveau riche TikTok douchebags, with unsurprisingly vulgar results.

People are trying to help and seem to be getting nowhere, so before anyone presses on, what does your existing wardrobe look like? Where did you get your existing tailoring and what is the difference between the style you like and what you are seeing during this ongoing bit of frustration? That might help us zero in on something you'll want.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Other than the department stores, if you were up for a drive, that big outlet center outside of Palm Springs has a lot of brands with the outlet discount that might bring some suits into the 900-1000 range. I know there's a Brooks, Canali, Zegna, Etro, Saks as well as some fashion brands if that's your thing. It'll be a better bang for the buck than just going to a department store in LA if you had the time to drive out there.

matthewhmb

Reaction score
Not that surprising, as LA is just a cesspool of temporarily embarrassed billionaires and future Oscar winners copying the stylings of noveau riche TikTok douchebags, with unsurprisingly vulgar results.

People are trying to help and seem to be getting nowhere, so before anyone presses on, what does your existing wardrobe look like? Where did you get your existing tailoring and what is the difference between the style you like and what you are seeing during this ongoing bit of frustration? That might help us zero in on something you'll want.
I really am looking for something that is timeless. I do not want a contemporary slim fit suit that I feel I see way too much of. I would say my normal day to day look consists of a nice roomy but well fit straight leg chino pant or a relaxed pair of good denim(hatski lately) generally and a good fitting quality tee(lady white etc.) In these colder days I would be adding in a wool sweater/cardigan and a barbour jacket. Everything I lean towards is timeless jm wesson loafers, some paraboots or 70s chuck taylors. Currently my go to suit is a pretty classic fitting Dries navy wool 2 button but I need definitely something lighter and not navy upcoming. A dark brown would be ideal.

But you are right retail for mens clothing in Los Angeles has not been impressive and there definitely is the problem of who they are catering to.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I really am looking for something that is timeless"

Timeless?. BB used to, and may still offer "timeless"
In the past its' version of timeless would have been
Ivy -Trad timeless. Now, I have no idea. In the past decade
they've been offering a jumble of "fits" Full disclosure: I haven't
bought any tailored clothing from them since the mid-80s
when they screwed up an MTM suit order for which i received
a full-refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads