• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for leather messenger bag advice...

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
This is my first post here - I joined because I've been tearing my hair out over different leather bags out there and the people on my usual forum can't get past the idea that all my choices are 'women's bags'.

Basically, I still go to uni, but I'm finishing a doctorate and doing some tutoring for a while. I dress casual, but generally smart casual, most of the time and currently use a niceish black leather messenger bag that's got an almost briefcasey look. Having the shopping bug though and I've been salivating over the thought of something that's similarly respectable but casual, but in a non-black. Because of the nature of what I'm doing, it should really not be huge but should be able to accommodate a book or two and an A4 pad at least. Many of the smaller messengers don't seem to be quite big enough to fit A4...

Anyway, as of now I have narrowed my choices down to 6 (2 different bags, 3 different colours). My concerns aren't so much with what is especially stylish at the moment, but all the same I don't want to make any fashion faux pas. Considering comments I got on another forum, I'm particularly concerned about getting a man bag that looks too much like I just stole a girlfriend's bag. My personal taste is for simplicity (as few tabs and rivets and buckles and prominent stitching as possible), good leather that acquires a nice patina over time and something that looks good or is well made over something with prominent branding (I would never buy something with prominent branding anyhow). My budget is a maximum of $500US and that includes shipping (and I live in Australia).

I've looked at Mulberry and Coach and on Bluefly and Yoox, but pierotucci.com seems to stand out for me as having nice bags, fair prices and even free shipping for them. My current shortlist is:

600.jpg
299.jpg
1507.jpg

http://www.pierotucci.com/bags/shoul...er_bag_104.htm

685.jpg
306.jpg
659.jpg

http://www.pierotucci.com/bags/shoul...er_bag_112.htm

My reasoning is that the top bag is nice, while the bottom bag is perhaps slightly better but I'm concerned that it looks a bit too feminine. On colours and the green seems like an interesting choice, but I'm wondering if I could pull it off, the tan seems like the most elegant but I'm wondering if (again) it's too feminine and the dark brown is the least appealing to me but seems the safest.

If any of you have thoughts on which of these six are best or where else I just have to look at first given my 'criteria' I'd greatly appreciate it.

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
Thanks for that, skefferz. Unfortunately, not only am I a pacifist, but I very much want something I can use with a shoulder strap. Some of the ones in the attached gallery to your article are suitable though, but I'm not sure I'm really ready for a tote with strap either - I still prefer my 6.
5873.jpg
PS - any thoughts on the colours or designs above?

skefferz

Reaction score
Your 2nd row of bags are handsome but slim--I don't think you can put more than two A4 sized pads in it.

Your newest photo appears to show a very slim bag also.

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
Yeah - that last bag I posted just as indicative of what sort of tote bag I'd have to go for if I went with the same makers - personally, whatever is in, I'm not sure I'd be happy with a tote.

Slim is okay. Small is even good in a way - the point is more that it could be done up/closed with A4 paper inside. If I have a mountain of stuff to carry I'd just use a backpack anyhow.

But you've confirmed my thoughts, as has a friend whose opinion I trust - the tan messenger bag (2nd row) should be fine and wouldn't look out of place. I think I'll go with it.

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
It wouldn't be rude, but I'd probably argue with you about it - especially if you didn't give good reasons.

For my part, I can't think of a valid good reason - messenger bags are popular, stylish enough (tonnes of top designers continue to pump them out) and useful, without looking out of place on the shoulder of a student or 20-something as some briefcases might.

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The $30 shipping is certainly bearable, but I can't say I'm as fond of the style of those bags - don't like the leather as much and they are all very 'clunky' - which I'm sure appeals to lots of people and give's them a sort of masculine charm, but isn't my thing.

Anyway, more choices (to a point) is always a good thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads