• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Loake Taunton. Still trying to break them in... I have them for more than 1,5 year and the heel is still stiff like stone. Even Meermins are easier to break in. Any tips?

3F7CE598-A647-45D0-A8B3-560F3639BB80.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keessar

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if you could help me a little bit. I have had my Loake Anglesey boots for four months now and the stitching in the sole has partly worn off. What should I do with this? Should I do anything? The sole hasn't come off but I'm still a bit worried.

I'm sorry if the question is stupid, I'm new to these kinds of shoes.

Thanks,

Keessar

Kengät.jpg

mbaltazar

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if you could help me a little bit. I have had my Loake Anglesey boots for four months now and the stitching in the sole has partly worn off. What should I do with this? Should I do anything? The sole hasn't come off but I'm still a bit worried.

I'm sorry if the question is stupid, I'm new to these kinds of shoes.

Thanks,

Keessar

View attachment 940359

No problem. The sole is in contact with the ground, so it's normal that the stitching from the sole vanishes. Nothing is going to happen.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem. The sole is in contact with the ground, so it's normal that the stitching from the sole vanishes. Nothing is going to happen.

If it is 'normal that the stitching from the sole vanishes', what is the stitching for? Just asking! Yours, Munky

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently a lock stitch is used for a Goodyear welted sole, so that even if the exposed thread is broken, the seam will not fail.

mbaltazar

Reaction score
If it is 'normal that the stitching from the sole vanishes', what is the stitching for? Just asking! Yours, Munky

Apparently a lock stitch is used for a Goodyear welted sole, so that even if the exposed thread is broken, the seam will not fail.

@Munky what @breakaway01 said. In my limited knowledge regarding shoes and Goodyear Welted soles, one thing is the Goodyear welting attaching the upper to the sole, another is the sole stitch attaching the welt to the outsole.

It's none of my business what @Keessar has been doing with those shoes, but for 4 months old the sole looks quite beaten up.
I can't understand, from the photo, if the stitches are really "worn off" or if the rubber sole cracked between stitches and the stitch is "below surface".

Anyway, and it's just my point of view, I don't expect any shoes to outlive me. So just wear them and be happy.

Goodyear Welted diagram_tcm35-15352.jpg

GoodyearDiagram-från-Styleforum.png

Goodyear-welting-från-bartidesign.com_.jpg

Keessar

Reaction score
@Munky what @breakaway01 said. In my limited knowledge regarding shoes and Goodyear Welted soles, one thing is the Goodyear welting attaching the upper to the sole, another is the sole stitch attaching the welt to the outsole.

It's none of my business what @Keessar has been doing with those shoes, but for 4 months old the sole looks quite beaten up.
I can't understand, from the photo, if the stitches are really "worn off" or if the rubber sole cracked between stitches and the stitch is "below surface".

Anyway, and it's just my point of view, I don't expect any shoes to outlive me. So just wear them and be happy.

View attachment 941543
View attachment 941545
View attachment 941544

Thanks for your answer!

I've worn the shoes maybe four times a week and only on the streets or indoors. I'll attach a close up photo of the sole, where you can see that the stictches have broken, not the sole.

I've contacted Loake and they would like to check if there's a fault in the shoe. Do you think that could be the case? Posting the shoes from Finland costs quite a lot and I'm uncertain if I should send them (and maybe get them back in similar condition) .

Thanks,

Keessar

IMG_20180315_191857.jpg

mbaltazar

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer!

I've worn the shoes maybe four times a week and only on the streets or indoors. I'll attach a close up photo of the sole, where you can see that the stictches have broken, not the sole.

I've contacted Loake and they would like to check if there's a fault in the shoe. Do you think that could be the case? Posting the shoes from Finland costs quite a lot and I'm uncertain if I should send them (and maybe get them back in similar condition) .

Thanks,

Keessar

View attachment 941551

@Keessar the weather you face is not a "friendly" one, and there is no doubt (the pic is clear) that the stitches are "broken". Perhaps it's a faulty thread or something. No one can be a better judge than you, if it's worthwhile to send them back and wait to see what happens.

I can tell you that if it was my case, I wouldn't send them back. But again, you know better.

Chouan

Reaction score
I'm looking at a pair of Jodhpur/Chelsea boots described as Robert McMann by Loake, yet I can't find anything about this combination on google. Can anybody offer me any guidance as to what these are? Thanks

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I bought a pair of Carlos Santos boots made on their 234 last. After exchanging multiple emails with my data and measurements with the retailer, their recommendation was to order my "usual" size, that is 6.5 UK, as most of my American shoes are 7.5 US. Nevertheless, as I had read that the 234 is a long and relatively wide last and many recommended to lower half a size for a better fit, I decided to order size 6 instead of 6.5 UK, that proved to be a good choice: I got a perfect fit, without being tight or short for my slender feet.

Now I have to take a similar decision, in this case with the Loake Capital last and the Pimlico suede chukka boots. The retailer suggest to order 6.5 UK but I doubt if I should go with 6, as I have read that the Capital last is wide and a bit longer than 026 last of the Kempton, but in this case I don't know if it will be enough to justify downsizing. As a reference, with Carmina I wear 6 UK as well as with Cobbler Union 312 last, I wear 6.5 UK with CU Soho last.

I appreciate your advise and recommendations: should I go with 6 or 6.5 UK?

mbaltazar

Reaction score
Recently I bought a pair of Carlos Santos boots made on their 234 last. After exchanging multiple emails with my data and measurements with the retailer, their recommendation was to order my "usual" size, that is 6.5 UK, as most of my American shoes are 7.5 US. Nevertheless, as I had read that the 234 is a long and relatively wide last and many recommended to lower half a size for a better fit, I decided to order size 6 instead of 6.5 UK, that proved to be a good choice: I got a perfect fit, without being tight or short for my slender feet.

Now I have to take a similar decision, in this case with the Loake Capital last and the Pimlico suede chukka boots. The retailer suggest to order 6.5 UK but I doubt if I should go with 6, as I have read that the Capital last is wide and a bit longer than 026 last of the Kempton, but in this case I don't know if it will be enough to justify downsizing. As a reference, with Carmina I wear 6 UK as well as with Cobbler Union 312 last, I wear 6.5 UK with CU Soho last.

I appreciate your advise and recommendations: should I go with 6 or 6.5 UK?

Hi,
I have a pair of Pimlico's dark brown calf. They are extremely comfortable and durable.
They are size 8 UK, and so is for CS 234 last.

All my Carminas, Robert, Simpson and Philladelfia lasts are 8,5UK.

According to this comparison perhaps you should go with 6UK.

Aznavour

Reaction score
I have the Pimlicos, and also a pair of Herrings made by Loake on the 026, and take the same size in both. I wouldn't expect that you would have to size down for the Pimlicos, although I guess everyone's feet are different. I might add that it has been my experience that the Capital last is quite refined, for me at least too refined for casual wear compared to the 026. I now regret not getting the Herring Campden or Gosforth II, both made on the 026 last by Loake, and essentially the Kempton but in a darker suede.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics