• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWL317

Reaction score
Professional is the equivalent of the old Shoemaker line. It sits right below 1880.

Thanks for explaining. Can see why Loake’s branding are so confusing! They do claim that Professional are made in England like the 1880s. Although I’m aware that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s entirely MIE from start to finish in the manufacture process.

Anyway when I emailed Loake about the Professsional insocks they said it must have been an error and offered to put in 1880s if I sent back the shoes, but I declined as really it wasn’t a big deal. I just thought it was a bit odd, or whether it implied that was little difference between the ranges.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake CHATSWORTH

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

oz_boater

Reaction score
Note sure if this is the right place to ask but I need some help with my new Loake Brown Waxed Leather Chatsworths

2023-09-07 13.42.51.JPG

The chap who sold them to me at Loake Australia's retail store suggested I use a dubbin on them, and sold me a jar of Loake brown shoe creme to touch up scratches.

One the box they are described as "brown waxed leather" and when I got home and read the care instructions there was no mention of "waxed leather" at all (Just calf, suede, polished and hand painted)

So I reached out the Loake Oz (you can't access the Loake UK website from Oz, it redirects you to the Oz website) and asked how to treat them.

The answer was they are waxed nubuck and I should treat them like suede.

From the email

"Waxed leather is essentially Nubuck leather with a wax coating. The best method to maintain and protect the leather is to use a Suede Protector spray and allow it to dry. This creates a barrier against any oil, coffee stain, dust or water. To keep it clean we recommend using a Suede Brush should you have any dirt."

Is this correct?

They look like normal leather to me, but I should treat them like suede?

Chatworths come in 2 lines - the "suede" leather Chatworths and the "waxed" leather Chatsworths. I have the "waxed" leather version.

Thanks for any assistance, and if this is the wrong thread, please let me know.

-- Update

When I wrote back and asked "are you sure"? I got this response.

"Oh. Sorry we thought you had purchased the Waxed Nubuck leather. For Waxed leather, we recommend using the Saphir Wax polish. This will restore the wax as well as the colour on the leather and provide a sheen to the leather."

So if the 1st response makes no sense - check again.

Note that in my 1st enquiry I had said "Waxed Leather" - no mention of Nubuck in my original question.

anyway ... they are nice boots, though they are taking some breaking in.
Have a plaster on 1 blister at present.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you should be expecting blisters from your shoes. Not even during break-in.
I totally agree with you. But some people swear that blisters are part of owning better brands.

oz_boater

Reaction score
I'm not sure you should be expecting blisters from your shoes. Not even during break-in.
It concerns me a bit too.

These are the 1st "quality" shoes I have owned in a long time, it is 20+ years since I have worn shoes that need breaking in so don't really know what to expect.

I am off to Japan in Nov and wanted some boot type shoes I could slip on and off fairly easily.

Saw these Loake's Chatsworths and liked the look of them.

I normally take a British 9 but my right foot is maybe 1/2 a size smaller than the left.

When I tried on the 8.5s they slipped around on my foot and of course there is no laces to tighten here.

So we dropped down to an 8.

The salesman (From Loakes Australia's retail store in Sydney) said that when new they should be tight but not painful - and these were certainly tight.

I took the 8s.

Wore them with medium thick merino wool socks and the right hand shoe stripped the skin off my heel.

2023-09-11 07.17.17.JPG

Oddly, my gardening shoes don't really slip, are much more comfortable and don't strip my skin off - so maybe I will end up wearing them to Japan instead

2023-09-11 07.22.47.JPG

Would be pretty ironic, wearing boots from a Hardware store instead of these flash British shoes.

Will persist with the Loakes and see how I go.
They are intended for extensive walking, so I need to get them into a fit state to take.

Have 6 weeks to make that happen.

Any hints on how to get a good result here appreciated.

__PG__

Reaction score
It took me a long, long time to break in my Loake Aldwychs. I had almost resigned myself to being stuck with uncomfortable shoes.

Now they are gorgeous, hard-wearing shoes that I can walk in all day. Had them almost 10 years now and they still shine up a treat.

I think there is a bit of luck to breaking in leather shoes. Some lasts and styles will just fit you better than others. I also have three pairs of Crockett and Jones. Two broke in quickly and painlessly, the last pair are still painfull.

The type of shoe-tree you use will also change the inner volume of the shoe over time. This may be good or bad thing depending on how your foot swells during the course of the day and moves durings its gait.

It's well known from joggers that you'll need to buy a shoe with an extra 1/2 a size due to your feet swelling after a long run.

oz_boater

Reaction score
Any hints on how to get a good result here appreciated.
Visited the Loakes retail store in Sydney again and the chap who sold me the Chatworths basically said 'yep, that is what you can expect, can take years to break them in' which seems weird as they have very flexible and soft leather uppers.

Then that evening I made my way home in just socks after the skin was stripped of my other (Left hand) ankle by the Chatsworths while I was out.

A bit desperate, I took them to my local Cobbler. Mr Ho is an elderly *********** in a shop packed with repaired shoes, and his comment that they were beautiful shoes with excellent leather, but just to small for me.

He has taken them in to see what he can do, and will give me a ring when when he is 'happy' with them.

So fingers crossed I have found someone who knows his stuff and can help me here, because I do want to love them - they are a beautiful shoes, with leather that looks good and feels good under the hand - but I can't even put them on right now.

KOz

Reaction score
There are very few sales assistants that are interested in anything but pushing product sales, unfortunately. Sizing and fit expertise is now rare.

oz_boater

Reaction score
There are very few sales assistants that are interested in anything but pushing product sales, unfortunately. Sizing and fit expertise is now rare.
This chap had spent quite a bit of time with me, trying various options and wasn't pushy about selling.

I got the impression he genuinely thinks this is how it is supposed to be - drawing blood - as the shoes adapt to your feet. That you suffer for your reward.

I hope he is wrong KOz, and that in trying for a boot that did not slide around we just ended with one that is simply too small (and this is correctable).

Being new to all this, the biggest question for me with regards to shoes and clothes is "who can I trust while I am just a beginner? Who is knowledgeable rather just thinks they are?"

Will be interesting to see what Mr Ho can accomplish.
Hope to report back next week.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This chap had spent quite a bit of time with me, trying various options and wasn't pushy about selling.

I got the impression he genuinely thinks this is how it is supposed to be - drawing blood - as the shoes adapt to your feet. That you suffer for your reward.

I hope he is wrong KOz, and that in trying for a boot that did not slide around we just ended with one that is simply too small (and this is correctable).

Being new to all this, the biggest question for me with regards to shoes and clothes is "who can I trust while I am just a beginner? Who is knowledgeable rather just thinks they are?"

Will be interesting to see what Mr Ho can accomplish.
Hope to report back next week.

I've probably owned over 400 pairs of footwear in my adulthood and hold at about 100 right now. My view is that they must be comfortable from the get go. I personally do not believe in "breaking in and mangling my foot and causing pain" for any pair of shoes or boots. No exceptions. If they don't fit well, they're gone.

I know it's hard to get a perfect fit. But there is absolutely no need to lose skin and comfort. Just my humble opinion.

oz_boater

Reaction score
I've probably owned over 400 pairs of footwear in my adulthood and hold at about 100 right now. My view is that they must be comfortable from the get go. I personally do not believe in "breaking in and mangling my foot and causing pain" for any pair of shoes or boots. No exceptions. If they don't fit well, they're gone.

I know it's hard to get a perfect fit. But there is absolutely no need to lose skin and comfort. Just my humble opinion.
The benefit of experience @suitforcourt.

With 400 pairs I guess you would not have feet left if you hadn't nailed down that approach.

Thanks for sharing that, will remember it going forward. (My feet will too).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With 400 pairs I guess you would not have feet left if you hadn't nailed down that approach.

I'm also a wimp and a priss, and don't like pain or discomfort. I lost out on the lead role for "50 shades of grey."

I hope Mr. Ho has a solution for you.

KOz

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if your feet are bleeding, it's your feet adapting to the shoes, and not the other way around (ex.: bunions).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
novasty