• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

podz

Reaction score
Chatsworth can be enlarged by a cobbler by stretching the instep. I just had a pair done, added 1cm extra space to the instep as I was unable to (without a ******* struggle) get my foot in and out of the shoe. After stretching, they were wide enough from heel to instep but they were too tall from footbed to instep so I fixed that with a pair of Dr Scholl's sports inserts. They fit perfectly now. But then again, the length never was a problem. Still, stretching the instep will give you more room behind the heel.

podz

Reaction score
So I just added two new pairs of Loakes to my collection, in addition to the six pairs I already own:

- Chatsworth "Burgundy"
- Roehampton "Dark Brown"

Immediately took the Chatsworths to my local cobbler to get the insteps stretched as I can't get my feet in and out of them otherwise (I already own the black Chatsworths).

Wore the Roehamptons 4 times for a few hours each over the past few days and got a raw patch on my right leg now as the top of the boot was rubbing the skin. Probably just need to let this heal for a few days and then wear thicker socks with them until the upper edges soften up a bit. No rubbing on my left leg, only the right one.

oz_boater

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what Mr Ho can accomplish.
Hope to report back next week.
Well Mr Ho from the "Beecroft Cobbler" called me back to take and try the Chatsworths again.

He has softened then rather them stretching them as he is concerned about making them too big and asked me to take them an wear them for a while to see.

Have walked a few km in them and they are better, but still super tight. They are going to need some work as they are really tight on the heel on the right foot (but also slipping a bit) and tight across the toes on both.

But Mr Ho is saying "we work on it till we get it right" so it may well be an interesting journey as try and turn my Chatsworth foot killing boots into something delightful.

I think the lesson here is the basic on @suitforcourt makes - they should feel good from the start.
If they don't, buy a different style that does feel good on your feet.

-- update

Definitely improved, went for a walk for a few KM in them and they found they are really tight across my toes and instep - plus the heel of course.

Marked the spots on a trace of the shoe outline and took them back for Mr Ho to play with them some more.

Now to wait for his call.

Last edited:

podz

Reaction score
I'm on a roll it seems. Added another pair to my collection: Russell tassel loafers in dark brown suede

billybudd18

Reaction score
Aldwych. Been on my rotation for the past 7 years enduring all kinds of abuse. Holding up well. Worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 134

Dellath

Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting in the Loake thread. Picked up some second hand for 150aud, Troon Rosewood in 9uk. Bullet last, lucky for me seems most lasts in Loake fit me like a glove in uk9, as the Black, leather sole, Chester 2s fit me the same in the 024 last.
1000009143.jpg
1000009142.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake Burford to face the cold
20231101_074516.jpg
20231101_074522.jpg
20231101_074532.jpg

TimothyF

Reaction score
Considering purchasing my first pair of Loake 1880. The Russell tassel loafer. So just some questions for long-timers here:
  1. Doing a bit of research I got that the full grain type of suede from likes of CF Stead cost more than regular calfskin. Loake 1880 seems to offer their suede models at around $100 less than calfskin. So reasonable conclusion to draw is that Loake uses split suede? Would love to hear some testimonials on suede quality and durability from long-term owners
  2. Don't own any British shoes other than 1 Edward Green split toe (don't own many dress shoes period, sold off a bunch during pandemic). To be frank rather underwhelmed by the Edward Green given the price point, but using it as my anchor point, is there any worry/niggle in the comfort, construction, even durability standpoints? Not talking about finishing, stitching density, burnishing etc. [I guess this question largely for those who own and regularly wear both EG and Loake]
  3. [This is largely a curiosity of mine] I see old threads from decade+ ago debating Loake 1880 vs Allen Edmonds (and it got heated at points!). Given what we see recently with AE buyout and (purported) slide in quality, is it still a close contest, or Loake walks away with it easily? Interested in all your perspectives, thank you!

rakuskus

Reaction score
Considering purchasing my first pair of Loake 1880. The Russell tassel loafer. So just some questions for long-timers here:
  1. Doing a bit of research I got that the full grain type of suede from likes of CF Stead cost more than regular calfskin. Loake 1880 seems to offer their suede models at around $100 less than calfskin. So reasonable conclusion to draw is that Loake uses split suede? Would love to hear some testimonials on suede quality and durability from long-term owners
  2. Don't own any British shoes other than 1 Edward Green split toe (don't own many dress shoes period, sold off a bunch during pandemic). To be frank rather underwhelmed by the Edward Green given the price point, but using it as my anchor point, is there any worry/niggle in the comfort, construction, even durability standpoints? Not talking about finishing, stitching density, burnishing etc. [I guess this question largely for those who own and regularly wear both EG and Loake]
  3. [This is largely a curiosity of mine] I see old threads from decade+ ago debating Loake 1880 vs Allen Edmonds (and it got heated at points!). Given what we see recently with AE buyout and (purported) slide in quality, is it still a close contest, or Loake walks away with it easily? Interested in all your perspectives, thank you!
Hello Timothy

1. I'm not aware Loake use reverse suede. Full grain calf skin suede from CF Stead must be Janus reverse calf (C&J handgrade, Meccariello & Sanders use this). I'm not 100% sure but my suede from Loake 1880 looks like CF Stead superbuck (Church's use the same thing). There is an arcticle interviewing Andrew Loake, and he is saying suede material are half the price of full grain or even 1/4.

2. I'm sure you will find Loake shoes are good value. EG leather sole does have longer lifespan by some margin. In terms of comfort if you manage to find a fitting last for you, I think this is a no issue. I do own several loafer from both brand and does not have a favorite. Cannot comment on their longevity since my shoes has been going strong given the proper shoe care. EG leather are superior although less perceivable for their suedes.

3. Loake all the way if we are not talking about Shell Cordovan. I would confidently say Loake VS Alden are a fair fight.

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
Timothy
Not meaning to be the voice of doom & gloom but please check the Russell loafers for size & fit before you buy, as they do fit small, vey small. I bought a pair of pair of these in my size 10.5 two months ago from the Loake Factory Store online, as they were heavily reduced in price. I own 7 pairs of Loakes, mainly in a size 10.5. It was a squash and a squeeze to get my feet in and I thought no, this isn't going to work. So I had to sent them back, which I was disappointed in as they are a lovely shoe. I would suggest trying these a full size above your current size, if you can.
Hope it works out for you and put a pic on here for us.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Hello Timothy

1. I'm not aware Loake use reverse suede. Full grain calf skin suede from CF Stead must be Janus reverse calf (C&J handgrade, Meccariello & Sanders use this). I'm not 100% sure but my suede from Loake 1880 looks like CF Stead superbuck (Church's use the same thing). There is an arcticle interviewing Andrew Loake, and he is saying suede material are half the price of full grain or even 1/4.

2. I'm sure you will find Loake shoes are good value. EG leather sole does have longer lifespan by some margin. In terms of comfort if you manage to find a fitting last for you, I think this is a no issue. I do own several loafer from both brand and does not have a favorite. Cannot comment on their longevity since my shoes has been going strong given the proper shoe care. EG leather are superior although less perceivable for their suedes.

3. Loake all the way if we are not talking about Shell Cordovan. I would confidently say Loake VS Alden are a fair fight.

Thank you for your perspective! Suspected as much, so your confirmation means a lot. The Loakes look quite nice in hand, and compared to my limited experience of trying on some Allen Edmonds, as well as actual experience of owning Aldens, I'd say the leather finishing, stitching consistency is much better for the English. The Loake 1880 calf looks and feels pretty good too, albeit feels stiffer compared with Cheaney.

My EG (Dover) was actually ordered and sized at a trunk show by an employee of the firm. Still fitted me terribly (I had to pay extra to a cobbler to eliminate some pain points), and the quality/consistency was underwhelming considering the price. So yes I agree with you I will probably be pleasantly surprised by Loake! (realistically however even Loake 1880 ain't no chump change)

Researched the CF Stead Super Buck (thank you for this lead!). Do not mind the fact that suede is split, but a bit troubled by the last part: "Fully impregnated backer". Not sure if you also saw that?

Timothy
Not meaning to be the voice of doom & gloom but please check the Russell loafers for size & fit before you buy, as they do fit small, vey small. I bought a pair of pair of these in my size 10.5 two months ago from the Loake Factory Store online, as they were heavily reduced in price. I own 7 pairs of Loakes, mainly in a size 10.5. It was a squash and a squeeze to get my feet in and I thought no, this isn't going to work. So I had to sent them back, which I was disappointed in as they are a lovely shoe. I would suggest trying these a full size above your current size, if you can.
Hope it works out for you and put a pic on here for us.

Thank you for this warning! I've made a number of mistakes in the past that have really driven home the adage "Fit is King" (listened too much to what the "it" shoes are, hence over-valued design aspects over fit, in addition to knowing less about what good fit "feels like"). I actually tried on the loafer last (College is the name I believe) in store, shopkeep appears quite knowledgeable and experienced, so I instructed him to order in the style and leather I want, on the size that he says fits me really well.

Interestingly for my feet I actually found going down half size from Brannock to be the good solution. We are all different after all. I will definitely try to remember to update this once in hand

Meantime if anyone has pictures of Loake loafers, Loake suede, especially with a good amount of wear, I'd be curious to see

Anthologies

Reaction score
Hi folks, first time poster so I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.
I just bought a pair of Loake Chatsworth boots, absolutely love the way they look, and the studded soles are a huge perk to me, since I live in Norway where we get a lot of rain, ice, and heavy snows. Any bit of extra grip is going to be helpful.

That said, I have read very mixed reviews about the Loake Chatsworths, especially when it comes to the quality of the leather.

Does anyone have any more information on this? The boots are quite pricey and I am on the fence about whether I want to return them or keep them, if long-term durability is going to be an issue.

These are my first pair of chelseas, so I have no idea what the average lifespan of these tend to be.
Thank you!

rakuskus

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Loake Chatsworth boots, absolutely love the way they look, and the studded soles are a huge perk to me, since I live in Norway where we get a lot of rain, ice, and heavy snows. Any bit of extra grip is going to be helpful.

That said, I have read very mixed reviews about the Loake Chatsworths, especially when it comes to the quality of the leather.

Does anyone have any more information on this? The boots are quite pricey and I am on the fence about whether I want to return them or keep them, if long-term durability is going to be an issue.

These are my first pair of chelseas, so I have no idea what the average lifespan of these tend to be.
Thank you!
I think there are more mix review on entry level footwear brands due to they tend to use more leather from all part of the animal hide. Brand like Crockett and Jones, Edward Green might not use part of the hide where there are looser grain (Belly or neck), hence they have better consistency on quality.

IMO Loake use the same quality leather as Cheaney and Crockett and Jones. Just some of their shoes might use looser grain leather. Hence, I always try to bought them instore to feel & see the leather before purchasing.

Here is an article you can read https://shoegazing.com/2019/10/20/report-loake-factory-visit/

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you!

Be careful wearing Dainite on smooth surfaces. They are slippery. And in my opinion, offer little grip on snow and ice.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahholbrook122