• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Great deal, thanks Carl. I saw this post yesterday while perusing on my lunch break and couldn't resist it either. I ordered the tan ones in a 10 (was really interested in the blue by by the time i dillied and dallied the 10s had sold out so I seized the tan ones. Can't wait to pick them up. I have some cheaper Loakes which look decent but are uncomfortable. I'm keen to check out the 1880s.
Phileas.
Hi PhileasFlash

Just noticed Herring have your tan ones in the sale but they are still two and a half times what you payed, they look really nice in tan

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...ium=cpc&utm_source=criteo&utm_campaign=criteo

Carl.

Last edited:

PhileasFlash

Reaction score
Yeah, I hustled home and madeit to my local shop just before they closed. I am very pleased to and am now sure that a pair of herring branded two-tone suede brogue shoes I got a few years ago are from the same loake line. I will post a photo of mine in daylight tomorrow, they are rather darker than I expected, pretty much a bang on mid brown colour rather than tan, but I like them and for £63 they are amazing. I would quite like to see a snap of yours if you don't mind!

Edit -
The Herring site shows a good colour representation.
Here are the nice new Winchesters parked alongside their cousins, the Herring Bonnies which are a few years old, with a crepe sole. The Herrings are a size 9 1/2 which made me wonder if the Winchesters would come up a bit big but they don't feel it.

Last edited:

goatandtricycle

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Loake Factory Repair?

I'm thinking of doing it for two pairs of my Loake's.
Downing, and getting the leather sole replaced with a rubber one like on the Heston.
Otterburn, just straight repaired.

Both are from the 1880 range and I got them on sale so £70 seems a reasonable amount but a worthy investment?
The Downings are also my wedding shoes.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Yeah, I hustled home and madeit to my local shop just before they closed. I am very pleased to and am now sure that a pair of herring branded two-tone suede brogue shoes I got a few years ago are from the same loake line. I will post a photo of mine in daylight tomorrow, they are rather darker than I expected, pretty much a bang on mid brown colour rather than tan, but I like them and for £63 they are amazing. I would quite like to see a snap of yours if you don't mind!

Edit -
The Herring site shows a good colour representation.
Here are the nice new Winchesters parked alongside their cousins, the Herring Bonnies which are a few years old, with a crepe sole. The Herrings are a size 9 1/2 which made me wonder if the Winchesters would come up a bit big but they don't feel it.
Love the colour of your new Winchesters, very rich almost Chocolate, still some good prices in the Debenham's sale, I'm deliberating over a pair of Loake Cagney's I could use for work reduced from £160 to £48 currently available in all sizes

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_084010523260_-1

Congrats on your purchase.

Carl.

goatandtricycle

Reaction score
Love the colour of your new Winchesters, very rich almost Chocolate, still some good prices in the Debenham's sale, I'm deliberating over a pair of Loake Cagney's I could use for work reduced from £160 to £48 currently available in all sizes

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_084010523260_-1

Congrats on your purchase.

Carl.
That's very tempting for £48!!
Edit: Although not Calf Leather... I had made a mental note not to go back to regular leather as my 1880's surprised me just how good they are.

Last edited:

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a pair of Loake Dovedale's recently. It has tan, country grain leather in a largish pattern and I thought I'd try looking for a belt with matching leather but I'm having no luck finding anything like it.

Has anyone seen a belt with leather like the Dovedale anywhere? For reference:

goatandtricycle

Reaction score

Hi, I purchased a pair of Loake Dovedale's recently. It has tan, country grain leather in a largish pattern and I thought I'd try looking for a belt with matching leather but I'm having no luck finding anything like it. Has anyone seen a belt with leather like the Dovedale anywhere? For reference:
Try googling pebbled leather belt. Sorry if that's stating the obvious

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Yoshiwaan

That colour is a tough one to match - however we do have some John Spencer grain belts which are close in terms of colour and in the sale : http://www.pediwear.co.uk/johnspencer/products/4492.php

If you search our site for "grain belts" you will see there is a Crockett and Jones option and a Barker offering but I think the John Spencer belt is closest and it is also the cheapest. They are very good belts for the money,

Hope that helps.

goatandtricycle

Reaction score

Hi Yoshiwaan

That colour is a tough one to match - however we do have some John Spencer grain belts which are close in terms of colour and in the sale : http://www.pediwear.co.uk/johnspencer/products/4492.php

If you search our site for "grain belts" you will see there is a Crockett and Jones option and a Barker offering but I think the John Spencer belt is closest and it is also the cheapest.  They are very good belts for the money,

Hope that helps.

Looks good, how does one cut it and add the holes!?

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
Hi Yoshiwaan

That colour is a tough one to match - however we do have some John Spencer grain belts which are close in terms of colour and in the sale : http://www.pediwear.co.uk/johnspencer/products/4492.php

If you search our site for "grain belts" you will see there is a Crockett and Jones option and a Barker offering but I think the John Spencer belt is closest and it is also the cheapest. They are very good belts for the money,

Hope that helps.
I think I'm going to have to rely on your eyes, because in the photos the cedar colour Barker belts look much lighter and thus closer to my eye (especially the Barker cedar grain belt, is it really that much lighter than the grain or is it just a trick of the light).

So is the John Spencer really a closer match? Because the Dovedales are a light, yellowy tan and the John Spencer belt in the photos seems like a darker, redder brown.

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
Where do you guys purchase your loakes outside of England? Toronto here
smile.gif
I just purchased a pair from Pediwear. I paid no import tax, had a smooth returns process (size change) and overall couldn't be happier.

Edit: If you didn't see my location tag, I'm in Vancouver

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just purchased a pair from Pediwear. I paid no import tax, had a smooth returns process (size change) and overall couldn't be happier.

Edit: If you didn't see my location tag, I'm in Vancouver

Thanks I will give them a shot. I"m normally a 8D in AE so does that mean I should go with 7F in loake?

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
Thanks I will give them a shot. I"m normally a 8D in AE so does that mean I should go with 7F in loake?
I believe in US sizing 8D is more equivalent to 7E in UK sizes generally speaking. That being said I have the Loake Dovedale in 7F and the AE Longbranch in 8D, the Dovedale is looser everywhere except right at the end of the toes, so it's definitely last specific in lots of ways.
Have a chat to the guys at Pediwear before you buy, I'm sure they can help you with sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads