• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Little help with some math?

ozymandias

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this simple sounding but confusing calculation?

I have a midterm in a few days, prof put out 27 terms, 9 of which will be on the exam. We will have to answer any 3 of those 9.

How many terms can I get away with studying with no risk of having to write a term I did not particularly study?

Thanks!

aKula

Reaction score
21 is correct.

Consider if you study 20. Then the prof could choose the 7 you didn't study and 2 you did. So for no risk you must study 21. Then the worst case choice would be 6 you didn't study and 3 you did.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
How many terms can I get away with studying with no risk of having to write a term I did not particularly study?

You must study all 27 to have no risk. The actual questions you are given will be a random sample, so each is as likely to be chosen as the others.

Besides, you're being lazy. Go study them all.

b

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
You must study all 27 to have no risk. The actual questions you are given will be a random sample, so each is as likely to be chosen as the others.

Besides, you're being lazy. Go study them all.

b

But he only has to answer 3 of the 9, meaning at worst, if he studied all but the 6 that were actually placed on the exam, he would still know enough (3) to pass, no?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wait - what kind of class is this where there are 27 relevant terms, the class will be given 9 (1/3 of the material) to answer, and then the student need answer only 3 (1/9 of the material).?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is a trick question. He will actually have to study 42.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
wait - what kind of class is this where there are 27 relevant terms, the class will be given 9 (1/3 of the material) to answer, and then the student need answer only 3 (1/9 of the material).?

I had similar scenarios. We would be given a study guide with six questions that would be used for essays, only four of those would be on the exam and of those four we would have to answer two.

If that makes sense.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
But he only has to answer 3 of the 9, meaning at worst, if he studied all but the 6 that were actually placed on the exam, he would still know enough (3) to pass, no?

if you only need 3 to pass that is ****** grading policy assuuming all the problems are given equal value.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
This is a trick question. He will actually have to study 42.
Well, that's the answer to EVERYTHING, Doug-san. Anyway, according to a delightful Hamburglar Adventure I once heard about from teh Comic Book Store Guy, the answer is "Fries."

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I had similar scenarios. We would be given a study guide with six questions that would be used for essays, only four of those would be on the exam and of those four we would have to answer two.

If that makes sense.

I had the same experience. There was usually some overlap in the questions, so there weren't as many unique concepts as there were questions.

I always assumed it was a way to force us to study everything without actually having to test us on all of it.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Unless I'm missing something, he can't know this. This hinges on him wanting no risk.

As I read it, another way to state his question is "how many of the terms do I need to study to guarantee that I have studied the ones that will be asked?" (I'm ignoring the word "particularly" because it is undefined.) The inherent problem is that he has zero knowledge of which ones the prof will choose. So each has equal probability of showing up. And that probability is positive. Therefore he must study each.

But I'm no probability expert. I could be missing something.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Unless I'm missing something, he can't know this. This hinges on him wanting no risk.

As I read it, another way to state his question is "how many of the terms do I need to study to guarantee that I have studied the ones that will be asked?" (I'm ignoring the word "particularly" because it is undefined.) The inherent problem is that he has zero knowledge of which ones the prof will choose. So each has equal probability of showing up. And that probability is positive. Therefore he must study each.

But I'm no probability expert. I could be missing something.

Actually, if it's probability you want, here's a few good statistics relative to this issue:

So, you will have to answer three questions out of 27 concepts - that's 1 in 27, or roughly 4% chance of being tested on each concept. However, reality tends to work its magic so that:

if you study 13 concepts, you ought to have a 47% chance of your chosen questions being on the exam. however - in practice this runs closer to 12% due to game theory and quantium statistics.

If you study 14 concepts *(commonly known as the "tipping Point" because you've just gone over 50%), you ought to have a 52% chance of your studied questions making the exam, but due to probabilistic tendencies and random chance - you're more likely to experience a 15% exam proficiency rate.

If you study 21 concepts, though - this is 50% more than the tipping point of 14, and therefore...well, I'll cut through the jargon and theoretical aspects of probabililstic calculus and Murphy's Law and tell you that your exam proficiency rate will skyrocket to 30%.

So, if you want to answer three questions well, I think that studying all 27, plus a few spares, should give you a good shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads