• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate Kenya and Ethiopia as the "birthplace" of coffee, my under the radar picks are Burundi and Rwanda. I have not had a Burundi that was less than great, most are stellar. Rwanda can be hit or miss but worth it when it is a hit. Prices are typically lower for both. Keep in mind that I am buying green and roasting myself.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I know there are Kenyan auctions for the best grades of coffee. I've had some and they are great, but most of what gets the most attention I've noticed is a particular style of coffee that comes out of Africa. It's generally very fruity. I think there are many other regions that have coffee just as "good" but they are just very different in style and not really in vogue.

Basically this.

Kenyan coffees tend to exhibit big, red fruit flavors that are really easy for even novices to taste.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm decreeing it: A Y and pBooth are the smartest coffee folks on the internet.

Thanks but I'm just an interested enthusiast. Lots of good resources out there to learn from. For example, Sweet Maria's summaries of various varietals from around the world:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

Look under Green Coffee, and click on one of their regions. For example, their summary of Kenya (which my experience agrees with) is that it has big acidity. I think of it as closer to what the Central Americans do and never really thought it as fruit forward, which was why Barrington's Kenya Peaberry was such a big surprise for me. As a rule, I don't go out of my way to try Kenyans, just as I generally don't like most Central American coffees, but different strokes ...

Scott Rao's Everything But Espresso is also an amazing book full of technical details, but it may be too wonky for you.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have about three cups of beans left what should I order next? I like at the moment juicy fruity and unusual coffees.

I'm drinking an organic bean from Papua New Guinea by the Timuza collective. From what I can tell, PNG is an emerging player in the specialty coffee space. Certainly juicy and I get a hint of grapefruit rind. You might like it.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm drinking an organic bean from Papua New Guinea by the Timuza collective. From what I can tell, PNG is an emerging player in the specialty coffee space. Certainly juicy and I get a hint of grapefruit rind. You might like it.

Thanks I'll look into those. The Sumatras that I've had I don't think are bad but usually I'm like "that's enough" about halfway through so I've been less interested in exploring the Southeast Asian coffees as a result.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't like your typical Sumatra, which is why I recommended it! It'll be easy to google search, it won a cupping competition late last year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads