• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to take pictures but success rate is at about 50%. I think I tend to over aerate the milk.

Somebody told me today that demitasse spoons should not be served with cappuccinos and lattes which seemed a little silly to me. The only reason I could think it would be wrong is because the spoon isn't large enough to stir sugar in which to me suggests you're using the spoon wrong. But I guess wrong is relative. I only ever use it to check the foam when I order a cappucino which is hardly ever

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got some new coffee that i thought was pretty good - we're not super picky but like a good darker roast (viennese/french), see now that it is robt deniro's wife's vanity project - has anyone else had this (grace hightower)?

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$92 buys a lot of Peets.

Peet's sold a gesha a few years ago. I wish I could have tried it. Not sure a seller of their size can get that many. Apparently, there are fewer than 100 0.5 lbs bags of the Starbucks gesha, but they have yet to sell out ...

Anyone tried any of these (other than Stumptown)?
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/best-coffee-roasters-in-america

I grew up in Durham, I'm gonna have to make a trip to try Counter Culture next time I'm down there.

Those are all good starting points, but it is kind of a coffee echo chamber where they are all more similar than different. Most 3rd wavers live in an echo chamber.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure ... the Peterson farm has different areas of their farm they grow things, and it's said they all taste different. Anyway, whichever it is, it's all high quality stuff. At $26/lbs for green beans, you can kind of understand why Stumptown and others charge more than $80 for the roasted product.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure ... the Peterson farm has different areas of their farm they grow things, and it's said they all taste different. Anyway, whichever it is, it's all high quality stuff. At $26/lbs for green beans, you can kind of understand why Stumptown and others charge more than $80 for the roasted product.

I've roasted the Esmeralda Gesha from SM at home and it's excellent. Would never pay $80++ for someone else to roast.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Any thoughts on who makes the best cup of coffee in San Francisco?

Four barrel is good but I find it too light..

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on who makes the best cup of coffee in San Francisco?

Four barrel is good but I find it too light..

If you find 4B to light, try Ritual on Valencia, Sightglass in SOMA or Blue Bottle (several locations). Blue Bottle roasts too dark for my taste. St. Frank on South Park and on Polk in Russian Hill is also good.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My godawful latte art. Milk was too thick but when I lifted the foam up I only got like 1 cm of foam. I don't know what's wrong. At least my milk floats now

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1cm is enough, imo. Doesn't look that bad, does it? Just one tip, try to pour with the handle facing to the left when serving a right-handed customer (or vice versa). That way, the leaf won't be upside down or lay flat when you put the cup in front of him/her. Other than that, I can't really give any other tips since mine usually doesn't look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics