• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's crank out 100,000 pullups this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2135 + 5 ( :( ) = 2140
I generally do these once every few weeks "just to see." Last night, I did it after a squash match and was wiped so didn't even get to my benchmark seven. I think I will start doing them more often and see if I can start increasing the count.

Welcome to the thread, amigo. :slayer:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a friend's apartment Saturday night and while drinking we had some impromptu fitness competitions including pull ups and push ups.

I cranked out 18 dead hang pullups in a row. Along with another 25 pull ups.

2135 + 5 ( :( ) = 2140
I generally do these once every few weeks "just to see." Last night, I did it after a squash match and was wiped so didn't even get to my benchmark seven. I think I will start doing them more often and see if I can start increasing the count.

2140 + 43 = 2183

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Welcome to the thread, amigo. :slayer:

Any suggestions?
I generally try to play squash two to three times a week. Some times, if I am lucky, to exhaustion, sometimes not. I lift with a trainer once a week - he was the one that has me do pull-ups every so often.
My thought is to add pullups after a match if I am not too devastated. Should I do sets of assisted ones (on a gravitron machine) or just do regular ones until exhausted? Maybe I will do them before I play. After I played last night and did a few I got lucky and found someone to play another match with right away and there seemed to be no adverse effect on my game.

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions?
I generally try to play squash two to three times a week. Some times, if I am lucky, to exhaustion, sometimes not. I lift with a trainer once a week - he was the one that has me do pull-ups every so often.
My thought is to add pullups after a match if I am not too devastated. Should I do sets of assisted ones (on a gravitron machine) or just do regular ones until exhausted? Maybe I will do them before I play. After I played last night and did a few I got lucky and found someone to play another match with right away and there seemed to be no adverse effect on my game.

Those gravitron machines are only really optimal if you can't do your own bodyweight. You miss out on a lot by doing them instead of actual pullups(core work). Your best bet is to just keep doing them, as well as some supplemental bicep and back work. Gripwork also helps.

youngScholar

Reaction score
What are you guys doing in warming up for your pullups?

Also, I found this article on T-Nation regarding the author doing 13,064 pullups in 5 months. I'm curious what people think of the author's statements on using rings in pullups:

The absolute worst culprit [of elbow and/or shoulder pain] is the chin-up from a fixed bar. Just hang from a bar with your palms supinated and you'll immediately feel tension in your elbows. I've recommended the fixed bar chin-up for years, but things change. It's completely out of all my current training programs because it locks the wrists in the most stressful position to the elbows. . . . The risk is not worth the potential reward. Use rings for pull-ups.

If I can get them, I'll give rings a try. My right elbow is having issues, especially when I lift something with a reverse grip.

Would pullups from rings be counted?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pullups from rings are definitely counted. I've never done them(no access), but they look difficult.

As far as warming up, I usually do them cold. If I do weighted pullups, I warm up with bodyweight pullups but that's it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm being optimistic with 40; I can do 30-35 right now, because the fully-extended-arm requirement is a *****. My procedure is pretty much to do 23 in the first 30 seconds, hang for a bit, and then bang out another 12. But I bet with time I could get up to 40. (I'm not a climber, I'm just really light and built funny with legs that are practically vestigial appendages.)
15 fingertip pullups is huge for a girl. You should tell her to get in touch with the Guinness people too.
1961 + 40 = 2001

Ah, I see. I'm built the other way. My legs are way stronger than my upper body. I love upper body (but not core) strength pretty quickly.

That was 15 fingertip pullups falling down drunk. She was staggering all over the place. I think that people are built for specific exercises. I have never beat 20 pullups (if I hung a while, I would just get more tired), but I've been able to crank out over 70 pushups in a minute, and I can easily do hundreds during a workout with very little impact on anything else.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2301 + 30= 2331
got burned out from other exercises.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2301 + 30= 2331
got burned out from other exercises.

That's really the danger. The other day, I figured that I could actually make it to 100 if I really did nothing else, but it seems so boring, and I was up to 60+ already, with a lot of other shoulder exercises in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads