• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
.... I've used Boxer X Whippet with great success.

lefty

Lefty, Can you elaborate on this a bit? That sounds like a pretty great mix, but I can't seem to find any information on how that would turn out (health, temperment, energy level, etc.), or pictures of what one might look like. Any info or pictures you have would be great.

Thanks..

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the '80s I had adopted a rangy pit from a shelter that they called a Boxer x Whippet. It was a clearly a pit but I let the description stick as it relaxed people. Can't really say what the cross would be like. Did fall in love with a Boxer X Bull Terrier once. Nice dog.

lefty

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Lefty, what is your opinion of these three as a good dog for having indoors and in a relatively small apartment:
Saluki
Whippet
Italian Greyhound (maybe a retired racer)
It will probably be a year or so before I get one and will be in a larger place by then but I will still be in Tokyo area so something that can be left indoors for periods of time would be good.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They race Italian Greyhounds on Tokyo? That would be something.

I like sighthounds, but the Saluki is a big dog for a small apartment. The whippet is a better size and more durable than an Italian Greyhound.

For something a little more exotic in the mid-sized sighthound category look at the Cirneco dell'Etna:

cirneco1.jpg

lefty

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They race Italian Greyhounds on Tokyo? That would be something.

I like sighthounds, but the Saluki is a big dog for a small apartment. The whippet is a better size and more durable than an Italian Greyhound.

For something a little more exotic in the mid-sized sighthound category look at the Cirneco dell'Etna:
[/IMG]

lefty

Thanks. I figured the Saluki might be too big, but I like the slightly longer coat, maybe Ill have to keep my eyes open for a Whippet x Saluki and hope it ends up growing up small hahaha. Horse racing in Japan is a big deal so I figured they may have dog racing around here somewhere and getting a dog which is already trained and likes small areas would just make it easier on me.
I have never heard of the Cirneco del'Etna. It is an interesting dog, looks like an Ancient Egyptian God.
relief-anubis.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's basically a smaller cousin to the Pharoah Hound, the national dog of Malta:
kelbstandcMalta.jpg
Which is another relative of the Ibizan:
Hunter%20and%20Spice8%20Stallion%20Pose%20150dpi.JPG
But maybe they all trace back to the Basenji:
basenji32.jpg
Two rare sighthounds that I like are the Sloughi:
SloughiAinZafirAshrafAzaar13Months2.JPG
And the Azawakh:
azawakh1.jpg
Aren't dogs wonderful? lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Anubis actually has a jackal head.

The Pharaoh Hound is almost identical to the dogs shown above. I can never tell them apart.

Oops, I see lefty just beat me to the punch on this!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clever little Dachshund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
allways wanted to build something like this for the jack russel my parents had some time ago.... even with a tennis racket and a huge lawn my arm would still be tired before he would..

oh well, im more into molossers these days, so when I get one at least it will be a bit easier on the arm
smile.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, it's even more fun to watch dogs run around when they're running around in the snow.

Ripley had her first ever real romp in the powder today.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you, nootje.

The Flying Nun of Neos:
P1000406.jpg

lefty

cool, allmost cuddly
smile.gif

funny story,

the small garage across the street from me has a doge de bordeaux guarding the premises. The first time I walked in there (to inspect an old triumph I saw there) the dog came running up to me. Seeing it was chained I proceeded to stand just outside its range and let it calm down a bit. Within a minute it was more interested in me as someone who could give her some attention then as a threat, so when i stepped into her range she got up on her back legs, front legs on my shoulders and proceeded to give me a sloppy greeting lick..

right after that I hear a grumbling from the owner: "well thats nice (sarcastic)"
me: "uhm, sorry sir?"
him: "well, you do realise i have that dog for protection of the property right?"
me: "yup I do, and itll work against most people, but I just know the breed a bit"

after that I explained to him I knew that there werent any real protection breeders around these parts, so that this dog must be bred for housekeeping. Given that it lived outdoors, and the attention craving I know from these dogs it was a given that it wanted the attention more then it wanted to protect the property. But, since most people are afraid of big dogs it would still work. Something that large running towards you will scare most, even if its just to greet you
smile.gif

Would never have done this with those neo's by the way
wink.gif

ill take a pic next time im there, from what i could see she had none of the obvious defects (overweight, bad hips) its really a nice dog..

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Neo would drown you in slobber.

The DDB is a nice dog and I have a soft spot for red dogs. Do you see many where you are?

Here's a little poetic clip of Dogues running that just makes me smile:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really, I know maybe 2 out in the countryside (i live in a city centre).. as with most places the most common dog I see here is the pigrador..

Im still looking around for someone who owns a cane corso, as I really like the characteristics of the breed for when I do get around to having a dog..

its a pity my parents live quite far away, if they lived closer I would have shot some pictures of a couple of real hunting line dogs.. think vizla, german short and wirehaired pointer and 2 working dachshund.

Those last two are actually really cool, extremely lazy around the house (their son actually had put the eldest dog on a skateboard and pulled it along for two miles, then picked up the board so that the dog HAD to walk back
lol8[1].gif
) but once these dogs got close to a burrow they would transform in to raging lunatics, albeit still disciplined
smile.gif
one has to love those small dogs for their character..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics