• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nixie Dogge at the beach. Five years old.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did we ever talk about Dog food yet?

There are so many choices in kibble. I don't know where to start.

I have my puppy on puppy fish kibble from Zynergist and Hollistic but her breath is rank because of it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
we use salmon-based food for both kibble and wet food. The dry is just a standard limited-ingreident brand, I forget what exactly. Wet is the blue can from Live Free (I like it because it doesn't smell like ****). Might switch the dry to the same brand.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice on getting a 3.5 month old puppy to calm down when other dogs are around?

Mine is pretty relaxed and obedient until she is around other dogs, then all hell breaks lose. All she wants to do is play, even if the other dog shows signs of aggression. She has been nipped at a few times by larger dogs.

She seems to get enough exercise and lots of training for mental exercise but will go nuts when other dogs around since she loves playing so much.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ She's 3.5 months old. She will be an annoying puppy for a while yet. Remove her or control her, but why? Let her go nuts (to a point) until an older dog gives her a backhand. She'll learn.

^^ I love that you bought those mats and that hurdle. Do you have a t-shirt with his mug on it yet?

^^^^ I don't know how decent these ratings are, but this seems to give a rundown on most foods. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

lefty

Last edited:

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ She's 3.5 months old. She will be an annoying puppy for a while yet. Remove her or control her, but why? Let her go nuts (to a point) until an older dog gives her a backhand. She'll learn.

^^ I love that you bought those mats and that hurdle. Do you have a t-shirt with his mug on it yet?

^^^^ I don't know how decent these ratings are, but this seems to give a rundown on most foods. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

lefty

10-4. I'm just apprehensive about the severity of the backhand, lets say from a bullmastiff or some other large dog.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most dogs are pretty careful in the way they correct puppies. Lots of times it is just a paw squash. They hold off on harsher corrections for adolescent dogs.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^^ I don't know how decent these ratings are, but this seems to give a rundown on most foods. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

lefty

I'm feeding mine Acana. Which is probably overkill.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

I spent a considerable amount of time looking at the ratings and analyses on that site. I note they seem to have a very strong bias in favor of foods with a very high percentage of meat protein. But don't some veterinarians criticize such foods as being unbalanced and likely to cause kidney problems and such? I have heard it claimed that one of the major differences between dogs and wolves is that dogs have adapted to grain-based diets and wolves haven't. After all, since the Neolithic Revolution, slaughter of animals has been comparatively infrequent and seasonal in most times and cultures, so dogs have had to live primarily on grain-based diets. Possibly the first reference to commercial dog food is found in the Doomsday Book, which mentions a bakery that produced "dogs' breads."

My parents-in-law had a Standard Poodle that they fed exclusively with Purina One, which gets only a two-star rating on that site, yet she had a beautiful, glossy coat even in old age and lived to be 13 1/2 before bloat got her. The dog also ate a lot of avocadoes since she lived on an avocado grove. I have heard it claimed that avocadoes are very bad for dogs, but she thrived on them. Go figure.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ainsurance