1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Sofa

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Alter, Aug 9, 2006.

1. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

I love the look of vintage leather chesterfield sofas. I have one but over to the side and sit mostly on my cloth sofa. I only use the chesterfield when guest are over.

When just lounging around the apartment I really prefer the old crappy fabric sofa.

2. Jayhawk1412

Jayhawk1412 Well-Known Member

I LOVE my leather sofa.

Another member already stated that they are super easy to clean. If you purchase a high-end leather sofa if you or the kids spill anything, just wipe it off with a damp towel then dry it.

I own a leather couch from DANIA, it was like $1,800 but well worth it.

I also love the couches from Restoration Hardware, incredibly comfortable.

3. legit

legit Well-Known Member

You have to be pretty picky when choosing one. To get one that doesn't stand out as ridiculous. Other than pet hair sticking, I am a big fan of the more "microfiber" sofas.

4. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Well-Known Member

We have this in our family room, it is the most comfortable leather sofa I have ever sat on. It has the warmest, smoothest leather I have ever felt. We purchased it as a floor model but it is still obscenely expensive. Every time my son touches it, I have a panic attack.

[​IMG]

Stock photo from ligne roset.

5. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Because leather sofas are now in high demand you have to do a little research before purchasing one to be sure you are getting a high grade leather sofa at a decent price. Pure aniline leather is soaked in a dye and is one of the best quality leather grains available for leather sofas.
    Aniline refers to a dying process. It doesn't have anything to do with the skin but a good skin dyed with aniline dyes is very soft. Pure means nothing. Leathers are categorized by grain. Here they are, modified from AAAC to suit a furniture discussion: Top or full grain leather refers to the top or hair side of a skin. It has a smooth grain, is soft, and easily absorbs dyes. Corrected leather is top grain, but damaged and thus lower quality. Split grain leather is the part under the top grain (everything but the top half of the leather). Bicast leather is made from chopped leather bonded with glue and found in much of the low quality, cheaper leather furniture.

6. ragdoll

ragdoll Well-Known Member

I have four leather pieces from desede. A couch, two recliners and an office chair.

Quite expensive but worth every penny, IMHO.

www.desede.ch

7. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

For US consumers who are looking for customizable top quality product the concensus is that the two top quality manufacturers are Hanckok & Moore and Leathercraft. Both command prices in a $3500-6000 (purchase price) range. Ignore their retail prices. The most retarded manufacturer in the high end furniture market would be Paltrona Frau.

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

My gf has recently discovered Ligne Roset...Furnishing our apartment will become ruinously expensive as I'm a smalltimer.

9. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

As others have suggested, the aniline dyed high quality leather (such as Spinneybeck leathers) can be amazing. A good quality aniline leather feels completely different from the cheap leather sofas that are essentially lower quality leather that is painted on top. Like the difference between a very cheap leather jacket and a very high quality leather jacket. Nevertheless, if I had kids, I would buy one of the cheaper leathers in a dark color rather than the aniline leather, since the cheaper leathers are much easier to clean and they aren't as sensitive to sun damage. Keep in mind that for a high end sofa, an alternative to leather is mohair. It looks great, feels good, and is durable (old movie theater seats used to be covered in mohair).

10. sushi7474

sushi7474 Well-Known Member

Wait few years, until the kid will not ruin it - trust me, you will not be happy seeing your couch decorated with your kids' scribble :)

11. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

once upon a time on this very forum, someone posted a link to some e-tailer that was supposedly selling the same sofas sold by restoration hardware at a discounted price. unfortunately, i've had a tough time running down that post. can anyone help?

12. v0rtex

v0rtex Well-Known Member

Ya, maybe the big puffy ones made by Lazy Boy, but some of the bastians of 20th century design have used leather, not to mention the older, beautiful club sofas.

Isn't the La-Z-Boy an iconic piece of 20th Century design? [​IMG]

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Restoration Hardware is the Banana Republic of home furnishings [​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I just bought a King Hickory leather sofa. I think it is fantastic and the price wasn't crazy either.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have their leather media trunk. Love it. The only thing I have besides my sofa that isn't antqiue.

16. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

once upon a time on this very forum, someone posted a link to some e-tailer that was supposedly selling the same sofas sold by restoration hardware at a discounted price. unfortunately, i've had a tough time running down that post. can anyone help?

Look at post #14 in this very thread.

17. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand your analogy. If anything, they are more analogous to J Crew, as Banana Republic has no interest in the vintage or the classic. Their leather sofas are top quality. Used to be made by Mitchell Gold Bob Williams. Now made overseas with no loss in quality but a lower price. You can pay more, get more "design," but you won't get higher quality unless you pay significantly more. The 46" deep Maxwell remains an extremely comfortable, durable, and attractive sofa for many living areas.

18. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Look at post #14 in this very thread.

Duhh. I swore I looked this thing up and down but must just have been, as my wife calls it, "looking like a man."

Not sure I understand your analogy. If anything, they are more analogous to J Crew, as Banana Republic has no interest in the vintage or the classic. Their leather sofas are top quality. Used to be made by Mitchell Gold Bob Williams. Now made overseas with no loss in quality but a lower price. You can pay more, get more "design," but you won't get higher quality unless you pay significantly more. The 46" deep Maxwell remains an extremely comfortable, durable, and attractive sofa for many living areas.

+1. I think a lot of people like to hate on anything that has wide distribution and be snobbish about it. I think a lot of RH stuff is horribly overpriced, but their sofas are a decent price point for a quality, classic sofa.

Thanks for the steer on Casco Bay. I found something I think is going to work for us - It's not quite a knockoff of an RH piece, though it's similar - just a classic Chesterfield. And the price is really attractive.

19. cimabue

cimabue Well-Known Member

Be that as it may, I have not seen a chesterfield as nice as theirs. They're made in China, however, and that's bound to lead to disappointment. The down/feathers in the cushions scare me off, too. Dust mites loooove feathers.

20. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i imagine alter already made his purchase.

we have a camel color leather sofa we got eight years ago, it has lasted through 2 kids so far and still looks great. cost 1200 at jennifer convertibles. its super comfy too. i have slept thousands of hours on it taking weekend naps in the afternoon.