• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Sofa

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
once upon a time on this very forum, someone posted a link to some e-tailer that was supposedly selling the same sofas sold by restoration hardware at a discounted price. unfortunately, i've had a tough time running down that post. can anyone help?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Ya, maybe the big puffy ones made by Lazy Boy, but some of the bastians of 20th century design have used leather, not to mention the older, beautiful club sofas.

Isn't the La-Z-Boy an iconic piece of 20th Century design?
smile.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Restoration Hardware is the Banana Republic of home furnishings
ffffuuuu.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just bought a King Hickory leather sofa. I think it is fantastic and the price wasn't crazy either.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
ffffuuuu.gif

I have their leather media trunk. Love it. The only thing I have besides my sofa that isn't antqiue.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
once upon a time on this very forum, someone posted a link to some e-tailer that was supposedly selling the same sofas sold by restoration hardware at a discounted price. unfortunately, i've had a tough time running down that post. can anyone help?

Look at post #14 in this very thread.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Not sure I understand your analogy. If anything, they are more analogous to J Crew, as Banana Republic has no interest in the vintage or the classic. Their leather sofas are top quality. Used to be made by Mitchell Gold Bob Williams. Now made overseas with no loss in quality but a lower price. You can pay more, get more "design," but you won't get higher quality unless you pay significantly more. The 46" deep Maxwell remains an extremely comfortable, durable, and attractive sofa for many living areas.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Look at post #14 in this very thread.

Duhh. I swore I looked this thing up and down but must just have been, as my wife calls it, "looking like a man."

Originally Posted by username79
Not sure I understand your analogy. If anything, they are more analogous to J Crew, as Banana Republic has no interest in the vintage or the classic. Their leather sofas are top quality. Used to be made by Mitchell Gold Bob Williams. Now made overseas with no loss in quality but a lower price. You can pay more, get more "design," but you won't get higher quality unless you pay significantly more. The 46" deep Maxwell remains an extremely comfortable, durable, and attractive sofa for many living areas.

+1. I think a lot of people like to hate on anything that has wide distribution and be snobbish about it. I think a lot of RH stuff is horribly overpriced, but their sofas are a decent price point for a quality, classic sofa.

Thanks for the steer on Casco Bay. I found something I think is going to work for us - It's not quite a knockoff of an RH piece, though it's similar - just a classic Chesterfield. And the price is really attractive.

cimabue

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Be that as it may, I have not seen a chesterfield as nice as theirs. They're made in China, however, and that's bound to lead to disappointment. The down/feathers in the cushions scare me off, too. Dust mites loooove feathers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i imagine alter already made his purchase.

we have a camel color leather sofa we got eight years ago, it has lasted through 2 kids so far and still looks great. cost 1200 at jennifer convertibles. its super comfy too. i have slept thousands of hours on it taking weekend naps in the afternoon.

outletdeadsea95

Reaction score
Dead Sea Spa Products Co presents the first complex,specializing selling products of" sea of spa", based on a scientific combination of Dead Sea minerals with natural vitamins, plant extracts and aromatic oils. It works in harmony, creating a dual cosmetic effect and maintaining the optimal balance of your skin.

sea of spa

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hello..sorry to revive an old thread.

my parents will be moving into their new home soon, and are in the midst of choosing furniture and other details. i am trying to help them pick quality leather sofas, but i am realising how difficult it is to choose which brands provide good quality to price ...
restoration hardware? ralph lauren? hancock and moore? costco?..

tips would be much appreciated!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a King Hickory. Expensive, but amazing quality and American made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads