• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Zara shearling looks awkwardly inbetween, not fitted enough to be a good slim fit but also not loose enough to have a cool oversized vibe. Granted the three pieces of shearling I have are coats rather than short jackets, but even so I imagine you should be able to find something that fits you better.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

walds11

Reaction score
@walds11 damn a thread dedicated to collars, alrighty then

I know right!

I’m also thinking about doing dark tan stitching for slight contrast with the Dark Seal color Horsehide, nickel talon front zipper, nickel diamond pulls on pockets and custom tartan wool liner. I went from buying a stock Schott leather jacket to a custom Thurston Brothers Aero. Go figure! :brick:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zara jacket arrived. It says 100% ovine leather.

I think it’s too big (shoulders) so probably returning it, what do you think? I’m wearing a mid weight knit underneath.

Or maybe shearling jackets look like this?

View attachment 1079944
View attachment 1079945

I would not size down. I think this looks pretty good.

I only have one shearling, but it is big and bulky and not something I could size down.

I think yours looks good.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know right!

I’m also thinking about doing dark tan stitching for slight contrast with the Dark Seal color Horsehide, nickel talon front zipper, nickel diamond pulls on pockets and custom tartan wool liner. I went from buying a stock Schott leather jacket to a custom Thurston Brothers Aero. Go figure! :brick:

things escalate quick :p

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

This all started with me trying to pick up a decent leather jacket for $500-600. I remain underwhelmed with regard to the offerings at that price point...

Therefore, I am going full on sartorialist and have another jacket made by Aero I think...I will message them tonight if the wait times are not too lengthy...

This is the jacket I am leaning towards the Dustbowl but with a solid back instead of the 3 panels in the stock jacket:

4745729f80c3dfad_IMG_4100.jpg

2375729f89431237_IMG_4107.jpg

What say you? I may just keep the back as it is...

Cheers!

Bentley

Reaction score
Ok as promised here are some pics.

Apologies they aren't perfect but jacket is nice mid weight. Its not overly stiff and wearable out of the box.

Few things i liked that were selling points:
1. jacket length, it falls below my belt buckle
2. 2 way zip
3. slim fit

I am impressed by IH quality, definitely not a single thread loose and it feels superb.

IRON HEART HORSEHIDE LEATHER JACKET - BLACK BATTLE EDITION

H2DkKpw.jpg

W8l3zbB.jpg

I668j3O.jpg

gi3FcCL.jpg

Pdbkxxt.jpg

G5HeKZJ.jpg

8tdf9oB.jpg

yJSiA6W.jpg

in case anyone wants this...
CCP wide last
Strike Gold selvage jeans

SPECIFICATIONS from self edge

• Chrome tanned horsehide from a tiny tannery in Himeji, the tanning capital of Japan
    • Two Zippered Hand Pockets
    • Heavy Flannel Lined
    • Action bi-swing pleated shoulders
    • 2 internal snap enclosure pockets
    • Waldes two-way main zipper
    • Waldes zippered gussets at cuffs
    • Waldes zippered breast pockets
    • Snap mandarin collar
    • Made in Japan

LInk to jacket https://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1514

@kiya - thank you so much for emailing w/me and the awesome customer service.

Looks terrific! Congrats on the jacket.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sinnedk That looks great. I think your patience paid off handsomely. Fit looks good.

@MickeyPunch I'll offer a counter point. First, that looks pretty darn good for the price. Certainly I don't think anyone would guess the cost from looking at your photo.

And for the fit, shearlings going to be a little puffy, right? This looks pretty good to me. If you can try the size smaller without much trouble I'd do it, but make sure you give yourself some room to move around in the thing. As someone new to shearling this winter myself, I don't think the friction from the fleece may necessitate a slightly looser fit. I'm not a shearing expert though.

It looks really good!

And ha ha! Thanks. It's definitely in my long-range plans. Maaaaaybe something from Langlitz in white goat skin. So don't change that dial!

@MickeyPunch

How loose is it? I personally thought it was okay but since you said it was too big, it might be helpful to size it down. But then it might be too tight. But only you will know how loose it really is.

Zara seems to have copied the Ralph Lauren Purple Label shearling that can be found on Mr Porter. There is a kingsman version that is similar too.

49B52B92-AD03-43CC-8E7A-26153BA11C70.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics