• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron heart x four speed on the alteration table
View attachment 2065195
If thats the same leather, (Himeji) and it looks to be, they use on their moto it rings all the bells imo. it's shiny but has a lot of character and heavy but supple enough to be really comfortable.

G Khan

Reaction score
Looking at Schott lately and a couple have my attention...

Has anybody handled/have opinions on these?

HH mechanics jacket
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/horsehide-mechanics-jacket.htm?color=1&catID=5

HH classic racer jacket
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-schott-racer-jacket.htm?color=1&catID=5

Also, why do some of the jackets have "Perfecto" designation at the top right corner of their thumbnails and some don't. I've heard the term Schott Perfecto before...but didn't realize some jackets were Perfecto and some not.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely the 2nd one, the first has too much going on

re perfecto, quick google search

"
In 1928, Irving Schott designed and produced the first motorcycle jacket which retailed for $5.50 at a Long Island Harley Davidson distributor. Christening it the Perfecto (allegedly after his favorite cigar), the Perfecto is from a time when form followed function,.
"

taken from https://www.heddels.com/2020/12/sch...tt designed,time when form followed function,.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MickeyPunch That AD01 looks like it's custom. Perfect fit on you. The more I look at them, the more I think I want one. I'd probably go sheep.

Edit: Just found one in my size on sale!

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MickeyPunch That AD01 looks like it's custom. Perfect fit on you. The more I look at them, the more I think I want one. I'd probably go sheep.

Edit: Just found one in my size on sale!

Thank you! I haven’t handled it but sheep is their speciality, there’s a video where the owner explains how he had to work with a tannery to get sheepskin like the one in the old british jackets and that not many tanneries work with sheepskin (as opposed to lamb or shearling), and he always seems to wear sheepskin. The impression I get is that he offers horse because he knows it’s in high demand for nerds like us, but otherwise he’d only work with sheepskin. Bear in mind it’s teacore, unlike their horsehide.

I went with horse to fill a hole in my collection as I didn’t have any horsehide one (although I don’t have sheep jackets either, just shearling and lamb) and because I like shiny leather (although he also explained that horse will become more matte with use and sheep will do the opposite) and I don’t quite like teacore stuff (or rather, I prefer non-teacore, aniline or whatever is called).

I definitely recommend it but admittedly I have less experience than other guys here with easier access to nice jackets. I think this jacket, if sized correctly, will look good on most guys with an average build, so I don’t think you can go wrong with their sheep AD-01.

FCL also has a Corsair clone, the Tyler/Tylor with Shinki horse but as I said I don’t like the teacore stuff and I prefer jackets to look worn but not too worn and I’ve seen 6 month old FCLs that look like those vintage jackets on eBay that are 70 years old, I guess that’s part of the appeal for many. I also seemed to like a bigger % of Addict fits vs FCL ones (plus, the extra $$$ for FCL is a factor).

Then there’s the original Lewis Leathers, I’m sure their sheep is also great but I don’t know if they have non-MTM jackets and if they do, they’ll have the logo (probably even the custom ones).

And if you are ok with chest pockets then there’s a million options out there.

But yeah even if sadly I have’t had the chance of handling all of these, I can only recommend Addict.

Last edited:

G Khan

Reaction score
definitely the 2nd one, the first has too much going on

re perfecto, quick google search

"
In 1928, Irving Schott designed and produced the first motorcycle jacket which retailed for $5.50 at a Long Island Harley Davidson distributor. Christening it the Perfecto (allegedly after his favorite cigar), the Perfecto is from a time when form followed function,.
"

taken from https://www.heddels.com/2020/12/schott-nyc-history-philosophy-iconic-products/#:~:text=In 1928, Irving Schott designed,time when form followed function,.
Thanks for the reply

On their website some are considered "perfecto" and some are not. For instance, the mechanics (1st one) is a perfecto. The 2nd one is not. Just curious...

Lots of fans of the brand here and in general and a long history so I am guessing they are high quality and as good or better than other makers they compete against. Was hoping maybe there was an owner on here with insight or some real world pics.

Anyway...have a good weekend everyone.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI you can get these in Japan for 4-600 used all day. If you're a large size might be hard though.

Sure, if you're a size 36 or 38. I've been searching Yahoo Japan Auctions, Mercari, Rakuten, etc. daily. And I've also never seen them for less than $600. (Except for this one: https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m20470664104?conversionType=service_page_search)
Then you gotta factor in shipping and handling. So another, $50+ bucks.

I've got my eyes open for a horsehide in 40 or 42.

suedefetish

Reaction score

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m24058774432 < would be 500 with the 20% buyee code

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m95194926093 < " 480

but yeah, big sizes gonna have a hard time.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like buying Addict in Japan, even at retail, is a pretty decent deal. Especially if they offer tax free shopping. Around $1,100 in that case.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's a scenario: You're caught in the rain wearing your leather. Would you rather be wearing horsehide or sheephide? Which has better resistance and won't be ruined?

MrProper

Reaction score
So here's a scenario: You're caught in the rain wearing your leather. Would you rather be wearing horsehide or sheephide? Which has better resistance and won't be ruined?
This is not due to the animal, but to the way it is tanned and coloured.
CXL in cow or horse seems to me to be more or less waterproof, Vicenza horse less so.
My sheep are more like a sponge, because veg tanned and without top coat.
But rain has never ruined a jacket for me. It dries again and that's that.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, remember how a few copycat more affordable bootmakers popped up a few years back at the height of Viberg’s popularity? Like Thursday boots for example. Well, sure enough they make leather jackets too. Any thoughts on their quality? I’m guessing thin leathers but I really don’t know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads