• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I meant that with the weak pound, an Aero is cheaper than a Schott right now.

I agree with you about the pitfalls of jumping into MTM; the real bang for buck is off their sale/stock page. Often you’ll have a jacket with expensive upgrades going for base price, or a jacket with some invisible issue that due to the strictness of their QC is super marked down. (For example, I saw this with a jacket where there’s a stitch wobble at one place under the collar, so no one would even see it.)
oh damn about to order an aero cuz its cheap :p

"the real bang for buck is off their sale/stock page" => true that, btw i haven't looked at their site in years looks like they finally upgraded it

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for medium tall (MT) size leather jacket (s). If you know of brand (s) which produce this size as a stock offering, please post the name (s) here. Thanks.

What do you mean by Medium Tall?

I wear a Medium Tall in alpha-sized shirts and things. Jacket sizing works differently though because they are a pretty different type of garment. You’re not really going to find them labeled that way.

What is your actual chest size? How tall are you?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing leather, too. I overlooked it when I got a MTM Aero because the “Jerky” name made it sound terrible. (I found out later that Aero’s US representative came up with the name years ago but I don’t get why they listened to his advice.)

It has that color depth and patina people get on something like Chromexcel but it‘s super pliable and has great drape.

AndrewST

Reaction score
Just bought my first leather jacket. Golden Bear vintage (eBay). Bargained down to $250. Thoughts?
Leather Jacket.jpg
Leather Jacket 2.jpg
Leather Jacket 3.jpg

DG123

Reaction score
What do you mean by Medium Tall?

I wear a Medium Tall in alpha-sized shirts and things. Jacket sizing works differently though because they are a pretty different type of garment. You’re not really going to find them labeled that way.

What is your actual chest size? How tall are you?
I mean a jacket marked medium tall (MT) size. Some brand (s) do produce and sell leather jackets marked with the size MT (medium tall).

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean a jacket marked medium tall (MT) size. Some brand (s) do produce and sell leather jackets marked with the size MT (medium tall).

Perhaps there is a language issue here. What do you speak? I know a few languages so potentially I can translate.

There is no set meaning for ‘medium’ let alone ‘medium tall’.

What is the measurement of your chest? What is your height?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
marking jackets as tall is very common with tailoring ( long ) but i've seen it on plenty of casual jackets too

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it's practical application as a measure of "size" outside of a particular source is all but worthless.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it's practical application as a measure of "size" outside of a particular source is all but worthless.

generally true of any sizing these days ,

and yet ... schott currently offers different lengths on the same model as stock , the option exists .

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
marking jackets as tall is very common with tailoring ( long ) but i've seen it on plenty of casual jackets too

generally true of any sizing these days ,

and yet ... schott currently offers different lengths on the same model as stock , the option exists .

The thing is that the alpha sizes don’t all mean the same thing, and Schott offers length options on number-sized jackets, not alpha sized ones. So someone could get a Perfecto in a 38-long for instance (although as someone who wears a long length in suits, I haven’t found the standard sizes too be too short; I think you need to be at least 6’3” for the long jackets to start applying).

An alpha L size for a Japanese company will often be a 38 or 36, for instance. That would be small in the West.

We can’t help this guy if he won’t tell us his actual size. I have experienced this myself. I am pretty much an exact medium-tall in clothes that offer that. The one leather jacket I got that was sold that way is both way too wide and too long for me.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is that the alpha sizes don’t all mean the same thing, and Schott offers length options on number-sized jackets, not alpha sized ones. So someone could get a Perfecto in a 38-long for instance (although as someone who wears a long length in suits, I haven’t found the standard sizes too be too short; I think you need to be at least ” for the long jackets to start applying).

An alpha L size for a Japanese company will often be a 38 or 36, for instance. That would be small in the West.

We can’t help this guy if he won’t tell us his actual size. I have experienced this myself. I am pretty much an exact medium-tall in clothes that offer that. The one leather jacket I got that was sold that way is both way too wide and too long for me.

fwiw i'm 6'-3" and spent a good chunk of my life between 165-185 lbs so the issue is not unknown to me , if you look at military sizing they use combos of alpha sizing and length , plenty of jacket makers / models are based on or even serve the mil-spec stuff this really isn't that mysterious .

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fwiw i'm 6'-3" and spent a good chunk of my life between 165-185 lbs so the issue is not unknown to me , if you look at military sizing they use combos of alpha sizing and length , plenty of jacket makers / models are based on or even serve the mil-spec stuff this really isn't that mysterious .

It is though because military leather is number sized. It’s textile jackets that are alpha, including alpha + length.

My point is he’s told us nothing except medium tall. This could mean anything from a 38-Tall sized Perfecto to a huge police jacket like the medium tall I got.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics