• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi-I’ve been browsing styleforum for like 15 years but first post. I bought these two suede jackets from Todd Snyder. One cafe racer style size M, one trucker size S. Can you help me determine which one fits better? Should I keep both? Are the sleeves on the blue too long? Thanks for your help View attachment 1952299 View attachment 1952301 View attachment 1952303 View attachment 1952305 View attachment 1952309 View attachment 1952311
Blue suede definitely looks too big on you. Brown fits better but the sleeves still look a little long on that one. Looks like if you unbutton the cuffs, the sleeves would come down to about where your thumb bone starts.

If it were me, I'd keep the brown and get the sleeves shortened.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi-I’ve been browsing styleforum for like 15 years but first post. I bought these two suede jackets from Todd Snyder. One cafe racer style size M, one trucker size S. Can you help me determine which one fits better? Should I keep both? Are the sleeves on the blue too long? Thanks for your help View attachment 1952299 View attachment 1952301 View attachment 1952303 View attachment 1952305 View attachment 1952309 View attachment 1952311 :)
The Navy sleeves stick out the most for it being too big.
I'll offer $400US

js0930

Reaction score
Thanks, but I’m still within the return period. If people like the blue one better I might exchange it for a small but I think the sleeves would still be quite long.
Getting sleeves shortened on a jacket like that shouldn’t be a big deal at all so don’t let that stop you.

Reaction score
Getting sleeves shortened on a jacket like that shouldn’t be a big deal at all so don’t let that stop you.
Thanks! I think I’ll have to get them altered regardless of the jacket. Just have to find someone that does leather jackets and hopefully it’s not too costly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I’ll have to get them altered regardless of the jacket. Just have to find someone that does leather jackets and hopefully it’s not too costly.
Where are you located? Johnson's Leather in San Francisco do a terrific job.

Speaking of leather jackets. We abruptly went to summer weather for a few days, and I was like WTF. But it's leather jacket weather again. Now let this go on until at least July.

Reaction score
Where are you located? Johnson's Leather in San Francisco do a terrific job.

Speaking of leather jackets. We abruptly went to summer weather for a few days, and I was like WTF. But it's leather jacket weather again. Now let this go on until at least July.
I’m in Denver, but thanks for the recommendation. I’m ready for summer but I feel you on the jackets.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hysteria schott is best bang for buck
Especially on sale, but Aero might beat them for that now given that the weak pound is effectively a huge price drop for us.
When I think of perfect leather jacket I still think of TOJ lambskin rider even if it is not my style. Quality/price was unmatched. I wish the story didn't end the way it did.
I just looked this up and it looks like a Wilson's Leather jacket. What am I missing?
Schott. They discontinued this one, but it’s my favorite of all their Perfecto DR. Fits half tennis ball, at most

View attachment 1951097
PER22? The 519 is basically the same jacket, except not bimetallic and with a bottom sleeve zip instead of top sleeve.

The 613S and 613SH are also on the same pattern, but give you more sizing options due to being number-sized rather than alpha-sized. I think the leather on the SH trumps pretty much anything else they make.
I went right down the custom leather jacket rabbit hole when the pandemic coincided with midlife silliness. I had jackets made by Field Leathers, Lewis Leathers and Simmons-Bilt that I’ve since sold.

This Aero Rockafella is currently for sale:

View attachment 1951113

Which leaves me a thick CXL horsehide jacket from Johnson Leathers and a beautiful slim Ridley pattern teacore Italian horsehide jacket from Aero.

View attachment 1951115 View attachment 1951117

I’m going to keep one of the above and sell the other. I realize I just don’t need more than one leather jacket and would rather put the money to other things. I just can’t decide which one I want to keep!

Definitely keep the Aero-LVC Rockafella. It's just so distinctive. The Johnson is beautiful too. The Ridley looks too long, maybe it would be better proportioned if it had a belt there, but the empty space near the hem looks off.

mboon85

Reaction score
I got this sub 100 dollar early 80s (I think) HD Moto jacket last week. Tagged made in Korea. Smells slightly of a garage but I think I can ozone that out. I like that it has the loops for a belt like a J24 but no belt, but a more reasonable pocket configuration. I have a belt-in Schott CXL113 J24 clone with the D Pocket and it seems too antique a queue for me. Great patina. Might put some obenhaufers on it, idk. I might have it cleaned as I like patina, but not grit per se. There's some pain speckle or something on it.

Attachments

• E925E395-B3C3-4904-9C7A-8A27959E0191_1_201_a.jpeg
    E925E395-B3C3-4904-9C7A-8A27959E0191_1_201_a.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 22B70EC3-12F6-4DF8-A67F-870544D15E1C.jpeg
    22B70EC3-12F6-4DF8-A67F-870544D15E1C.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 91B88203-D0BB-4085-8662-DDFF18489CB8_1_201_a.jpeg
    91B88203-D0BB-4085-8662-DDFF18489CB8_1_201_a.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 123

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Especially on sale, but Aero might beat them for that now given that the weak pound is effectively a huge price drop for us.

I just looked this up and it looks like a Wilson's Leather jacket. What am I missing?

PER22? The 519 is basically the same jacket, except not bimetallic and with a bottom sleeve zip instead of top sleeve.

The 613S and 613SH are also on the same pattern, but give you more sizing options due to being number-sized rather than alpha-sized. I think the leather on the SH trumps pretty much anything else they make.

Definitely keep the Aero-LVC Rockafella. It's just so distinctive. The Johnson is beautiful too. The Ridley looks too long, maybe it would be better proportioned if it had a belt there, but the empty space near the hem looks off.

Yes, this one is the PER22, but again, they are no longer making this one, which is a damn shame, because I the lining and the antique brass trim. I also have the 618, but had Schott swap out the quilted lining for cotton flannel instead, since Texas is just too damn hot most of the time to even wear a leather jacket, much less a quilted leather jacket! But it at least is a little more tolerable wearing a jacket while riding a motorcycle, when the lining isn't the quilted version!

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, this one is the PER22, but again, they are no longer making this one, which is a damn shame, because I the lining and the antique brass trim. I also have the 618, but had Schott swap out the quilted lining for cotton flannel instead, since Texas is just too damn hot most of the time to even wear a leather jacket, much less a quilted leather jacket! But it at least is a little more tolerable wearing a jacket while riding a motorcycle, when the lining isn't the quilted version!

Yeah the trim on it was great! I was pointing out the other jackets with the same pattern in case someone else wanted the same fit as you had (of course with slightly different materials).

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't order a MTM aero as a first leather jacket. There is a proven track record of people messing up their first orders between SF and TFL. You end up with a nice not well fitting jacket and eventually sell it at a loss.

DG123

Reaction score
I am looking for medium tall (MT) size leather jacket (s). If you know of brand (s) which produce this size as a stock offering, please post the name (s) here. Thanks.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't order a MTM aero as a first leather jacket. There is a proven track record of people messing up their first orders between SF and TFL. You end up with a nice not well fitting jacket and eventually sell it at a loss.

I meant that with the weak pound, an Aero is cheaper than a Schott right now.

I agree with you about the pitfalls of jumping into MTM; the real bang for buck is off their sale/stock page. Often you’ll have a jacket with expensive upgrades going for base price, or a jacket with some invisible issue that due to the strictness of their QC is super marked down. (For example, I saw this with a jacket where there’s a stitch wobble at one place under the collar, so no one would even see it.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynscam