• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KMW — believe the hype

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that's asking a lot in my opinion. if you really think you can drop that inch, then maybe, but it's still a lot. IME the raw do stretch up to about ~1" but not a ton more. and that was being able to get all buttons buttoned.

you might be better off w/ a 30.

FYI, i'm a true 32" waist, and wear the 31 in raw 1950s/1980s.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ that's asking a lot in my opinion. if you really think you can drop that inch, then maybe, but it's still a lot. IME the raw do stretch up to about ~1" but not a ton more. and that was being able to get all buttons buttoned.
you might be better off w/ a 30.
FYI, i'm a true 32" waist, and wear the 31 in raw 1950s/1980s.

Thanks, for the price I got them at and off of your description, I think I may wait on them a while longer to see if I can shed that 1" ... then maybe wear them around the house to stretch the extra little bit needed

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I happened to find a new pair of raw 1980s in a 30W today, so I kop'd. These are about as tight as humanly possible on my waist while still able to button the top button

Here's the first wear pics, after about 3 hours...

I'm going to just sell the pair of sz 29W that I bought earlier since I found these in a 30W

pm me if interested, they're NWT, never worn

Last edited:

Astronaut888

Reaction score
KMW is a very nice jean.

I have the 1980 and simply can't get past the gigantic back pockets!

Of course, I am a short guy, and I don't think they work b/c of that.
I have been using them as a yard work jean......... nicest in the neighborhood.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Furo, I imagine yours will stretch and conform nicely. You might try a cold soak for ~20 min, then roll them in a towel and wear them until they dry, They don't shrink, really, and wearing them while wet will stretch the waist nicely, and set the creases perfectly. The have to get wet eventually, so I find it's nice to start them off custom-fit!

Materials and fabrication on these are great. I love my 1950's (pics earlier in the thread). They have broken in and faded nicely over a 2 year period. great fades, and super comfy. The big pockets are a factor, but I'm tall. And also, I now appreciate how they swallow my wallet, and/or handkerchief.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KMW is a very nice jean.
I have the 1980 and simply can't get past the gigantic back pockets!
Of course, I am a short guy, and I don't think they work b/c of that.
I have been using them as a yard work jean......... nicest in the neighborhood.

I'm not tall either and that was my first and only reservation when checking these out in the store - the fact that the pockets may make me seem even shorter...

Willing to take a shot though, since I scooped them up at such a great price

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a few pair, and they all ended up stretching so much in the waist that they became unwearable..

I wear triple works now, about a year old, and less than half an inch of stretch!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had a few pair, and they all ended up stretching so much in the waist that they became unwearable..
I wear triple works now, about a year old, and less than half an inch of stretch!

Interesting. Any ideas on what would cause them to stretch so much?

edit:

Just noticed that the triple works you mentioned all come from the factory pre washed...

So did you size down appropriately when choosing your KMWs?

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no idea... but the hemming on your kmw's make them look much better, for whatever reason.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no idea... but the hemming on your kmw's make them look much better, for whatever reason.

Thanks, I plan on taking all my jeans back to this tailor - he does a chain stitch hem which is what I haven't been able to find anywhere yet

Lotto

Reaction score

Pair of Raw KMW Rockers I bought from Jay a while back in 2010 when he had that big sale (thanks again!). Love these jeans, these have been worn for maybe a year and a half? Not sure, but I didn't really start wearing them a lot till early 2011.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads