• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King of the Roped Shoulder

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like my girlfriend's suits.

I readily admit this sort of thing is not for everyone, but I'm glad it's still made to such a high standard for those who are looking for it!
Each to their own!
(I tend to relate this sort of thing to historic military and formal wear, rather than the modern women's wear based on those masculine looks!)
-TTO

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that a soft, lightly padded shoulder should have a soft expression all around; the rope is more suited to a structured, insellata shape, like Sexton's work. Again, there is the danger here of conflating amount of padding with shoulder expression.

What is insellata shape?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insellata means "saddle" in Italian. I am told the Italians also call it a donkey's shoulder. The English word is "concave shoulder".

It is traditionally regarded as a mark of fine tailoring, although it actually goes in and out of fashion. For example it was fashionable in the 1920s, and the 1970s.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like my girlfriend's suits.

So do these shoulders which go under a different name amongst the iGentry:

blazer-pleated_shoulder.jpg

At least padding is something that originates in men's tailoring. But along with military styled epaulettes these are sometimes imported into ladies' tailoring to give a deliberately masculine look.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like both roped and non-roped shoulders. The "girlfriend's suits" comment was true, but I like it all nonetheless.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

grahamBrowne

Reaction score
To me the first examples aren't really that roped they just have some sleeve head in them rather than the softer shoulder. It's a perticular English style that many people adapt some good examples of tailors are
Edward sexton'
Maurice Sedwell
David's @ Gieves and
Chittleborough and Morgan are what I would consider roped sleeves.
I don't think it's good for every day wear but when it's done right they look amazing

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
London Banker