• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep Hands Looking Young - Driving Gloves

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Do driving gloves have any real benefits? If so, where would you get them? Along the same line, how do you keep your hands looking young? Does hand soap age hands?

Mark

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving gloves are not to protect your hands, they are to protect your body. They keep your sweaty hands from slipping off of the steering wheel and crashing.

As far as hand health, I have dry skin so I use dove (or generic) soap and lubriderm lotion. My hands look great if I may say so myself.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Driving gloves are really only useful for those old bakelite or wooden steering wheels in the summer time; or if you have one of those special wheels like Nardi.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they could help your hands look young by keeping them a little moist if they get a little sweaty and also by protecting them from sun damage. I don't use lotion often enough but when I remember or can tolerate having crap on my skin I use some Eucerin on my hands and forearms and a special facial moisturizer with sunscreen on my face and neck.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one get 0,000 posts exactly, t_j? :p
By making a joke to J, and he took it seriously
tounge.gif

JB

tundrafour

Reaction score
I have no experience with driving gloves, but as far as keeping your hands looking young is concerned, I'd recommend not cracking your knuckles (or at least doing it as little as possible). I've cracked my knuckles (as well as my distal interphalangeal and proximal interpahlangeal joints... A.K.A. the two top joints of your fingers) all the time since I was young and, at 22, my fingers are crooked and look like they belong on someone much older.

I just hope that the stories about developing arthritis as a result of cracking one's knuckles are a myth.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Driving gloves and sunscreen could protect your hands from sun damage and aging.

Theoretically, the harsher handsoaps could contribute to aging due to skin irritation, even if the irritation is too subtle for you to notice.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew V.
Driving gloves and sunscreen could protect your hands from sun damage and aging.

Theoretically, the harsher handsoaps could contribute to aging due to skin irritation, even if the irritation is too subtle for you to notice.

What handsoaps do you recommend?

Andrew V.

Reaction score
There are lots of good handsoaps. I've been using Trader Joe's lavender handsoap. Ideally I'd use a fragrance-free one, but I really like lavender.

Just be sure to avoid any soap that contains harsh sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS - not to be confused with the gentler sodium laureth sulfate, SLES, although some folks don't like it either), menthol, peppermint, or anything that makes your skin "tingle". Look for little or no fragrance too, since even natural fragrances can subtly irritate skin.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just did a quick check. All the soaps in the house have SLS. I'm going to look for Trader Joe's. What about the driving gloves?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I keep driving gloves in the car because I have a solid steel shift knob and it gets extremely hot and cold with the weather. I don't wear them much because I feel like a douche when I wear them, and I don't expect they will keep my hands looking "young" at all, but then that is not one of my concerns.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I drive my father's old flamejobbed Blazer, which has a sold brass ball, so I feel (yeeeouch) your pain.

I want a set of driving gloves, because I think I could rock that pretty hard with the old Jag. My hands already look old, so I have no care on that account.

~ Huntsman

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What handsoaps do you recommend?
Pears Soap, is my favorite. I wear gloves whenever I do gardening, or housework that requires immersion of the hands, in water. The best hand cream I've ever used: Avon Moisture Therapy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads