• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a Paris store disply picture

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The two on the left are unredeemable:
corthayzq4.jpg

But, these aren't nearly so bad:
auslage.jpg

The side lacing is too weird for me, but I think the alligator pairs are quite beautifully colored. True, it would be difficult to wear them in an outfit (and I can't imagine wearing them myself), but I think they're somewhat beautiful as objects in and of themselves. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having the smoke-blue pair . . .

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
corthayzq4.jpg

auslage.jpg

You guys are like a bunch of old women sitting in their sewing circle.
laugh.gif

I could see wearing the middle ones from either picture. The side lacers would be easier to wear though.

and I though I was the stodgy old coot around here... Sheesh.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does Corthay have lasts with more rounded or chiseled toes? I like the ones stilmacher posted back in May of 07 in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=36959

Originally Posted by tommib
Robin, it's not trolling, just my point of view. Like I said I don't care much for cows, they're pretty stupid compared to an elephant. Obviously you consider all animals equal? Maybe I could have you made into a pair of shoes and you'd find that no worse than having a cow or elephant killed for leather.
You're grasping for fallacies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I did suggest to LK that he have shoes made from Charles Darwin as it appears he's already done most of the Galapagos.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I did suggest to LK that he have shoes made from Charles Darwin as it appears he's already done most of the Galapagos.
I did wonder what they did with Harriet, one of Charles Darwin's tortoises, when it died.

337px-Harriet_sticking_out_her_tounge.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Hunting is done legally by governments nowadays (though of course poachers and the like still bring goods to the black markets). Someone like Corthay definitely uses the legitimate stuff - read up on CITES to find out about the whole certification and legal process behind the trade:

http://www.cites.org/
http://www.gleni.it/cites.html

Good attempt at trolling, with the picture of the baby elephant and all. Perhaps you should read up on the slaughter process for baby calfs and cattle for your own shoes to get a better idea of what you're talking about.

Robbin - thanks for the CITES link. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

In all fairness, I don't think tommib was trolling. He was pretty forthright about it being a personal preference in his first post. The slaughter process is unpleasant, regardless of the animal. My personal concern is if the animal being slaughtered is in danger of extinction or is threatened because of low population sizes.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The elephant skin does intrigue me. I would never get the shoes as shown, but perhaps with the elephant skin only above the adelaide.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Many people here are able to appreciate a wide variety of styles. These shoes, IMO, are too ugly to be appreciated for any reason. There is, IMO, no reason to appreciate these shoes. They fall far outside what Le Corbusier meant when he talked about "...good taste manifested by choice, subtlety, proportion, and harmony."

I think Dolly Parton said it best: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."
devil.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You guys are like a bunch of old women sitting in their sewing circle.
laugh.gif

Yes, this was about Paris (France) and shoes in a store. Where did the elephant come from???

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Many people here are able to appreciate a wide variety of styles. These shoes, IMO, are too ugly to be appreciated for any reason. There is, IMO, no reason to appreciate these shoes. They fall far outside what Le Corbusier meant when he talked about "...good taste manifested by choice, subtlety, proportion, and harmony."

I won't question your ability to appreciate a wide variety of styles as I've seen it displayed on the forum numerous times but is it possible that the imperative need that good design or even good art be, for example, harmonious has been somewhat discarded since 1928, replaced by a more contextual and conceptual approach to creation? Le Corbusier was living at a time where it was possible for an intellectual to perceive modernity as an evolving process that would allow humanity to reach it's zenith, something that the sum of two WW and the deception linked with the failure of ideologies to deliver the promised land did put a damper on.

PS: Yeah those shoes are pretty horrendous from a "good taste" (read western bourgeois good taste, AKA understated luxury) but there is something interesting about some of them. As I confessed here I'm set in getting a pair of Corthays in a colour that will do justice to their beaked magnificence so I can't throw any rocks at clients getting those shoes. I just happen to think most fail in integrating them in their own style.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I think the difference is that elephants are a threatened species, whereas cows are most definitely not. May not be the same as buying elephant ivory, but does anyone know the legality or the process surrounding elephant hide harvesting? i.e. is it illegally poached elephant skin, taken from game reserves in Africa?
Elephants are kept on the Indian subcontinent as beasts of burden, there they are not a threatened species, are bred in captivity and the animals must die of old Age. Why not utilize their hide.

I have no idea, whether the leather used for shoes and other leather items derives from the Indian or African elephant and if you can use animals of any age.

So, what's wrong with making leather goods from the hides of Indian elephants?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Elephants are kept on the Indian subcontinent as beasts of burden, there they are not a threatened species, are bred in captivity and the animals must die of old Age. Why not utilize their hide.

I have no idea, whether the leather used for shoes and other leather items derives from the Indian or African elephant and if you can use animals of any age.

So, what's wrong with making leather goods from the hides of Indian elephants?

Nothing as such; see the posts about the CITES website, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads