• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just worried if I would be better with the RTW Oxford or with the bespoke Lobb shoes that have been made for someones else feet !?

I don't have a chance of trying them on before purchase, and seller is not accepting returns, though measures seems to be the same as the RTW shoes I have in my size.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm just worried if I would be better with the RTW Oxford or with the bespoke Lobb shoes that have been made for someones else feet !?

I don't have a chance of trying them on before purchase, and seller is not accepting returns, though measures seems to be the same as the RTW shoes I have in my size.

It won't matter how much they originally cost, or how rare they are, if they don't fit you. Sounds like a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It crossed my mind too ..

Might be a risk even if me and a guy for whom these shoes have been made for originally are the same size.

His feet might be completely different and the last molded to his feet could be a bad fit for mine .. Irony is I might be better with a RTW shoe, even though they are produced to fit everyone and no one's feet in particular.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Measurements don't take into account girth, heel-to-ball length, instep height or heel width. It's a gamble, for sure.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying this.

John Lobb (London) used to have a Paris branch, which was sold to Hermes in 1976. Since then there have been two firms "John Lobb".

John Lobb (London) produces only bespoke shoes from their premises in St James's.

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/

John Lobb (Paris) produces ready-to-wear shoes from their factory in Northampton as well as bespoke shoes from their workshop in Paris.

http://www.johnlobb.com/uk/
http://www.high-toned.fr/en/2013/04/john-lobb-bespoke-in-paris/

I do not have any experience with bespoke shoes of either firm, but JLP is usually considered to produce the finer bespoke work; they are also price-wise considerably above JLL. (I don't think you'll get a lot of change, if any, from EUR 5,000.)

JLL uses for it's ready-to-wear work the (double boot) "JL" logo and the signature colour yellow. The bespoke work gets marked with the same signature (of the historic) John Lobb, but the signature is used length wise, while JLL uses the signature cross wise and adds the Royal warrants.

Confused? You won't be after next week's episode of (shoe) Soap.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are not sure of the fit then it is not really worth it as I know someone who has had a fully bespoke shoe made for himself and told me if he were honest they were the most uncomfortable shoes he has ever worn!

This may not be the case with everyone but in my opinion if the shoe does not fit and feel good then it is a complete waste. Try the RTW at least you have the option to return it if it does not fit.

It crossed my mind too ..

Might be a risk even if me and a guy for whom these shoes have been made for originally are the same size.

His feet might be completely different and the last molded to his feet could be a bad fit for mine .. Irony is I might  be better with a RTW shoe, even though they are produced to fit everyone and no one's feet in particular.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you are not sure of the fit then it is not really worth it.........

.......unless you get the bespoke Lobb shoes ridiculously cheap. In this case, if the shoes don't fit, you might be able to sell them on ebay or at the forum here and could possibly make a small profit.

If the seller knows the shoes are bespoke and has priced them accordingly, I would give them a miss.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your feedback on this one!

I will skip it with a hard heart feeling as I really like the toe box shape. John Lobb doesn't have that much softly rounded toes these days ..

It reminded me on my favorite EG 202 last .. But it's too much to stake with the potentially wrong fit and all the reselling hassle ...

rexet

Reaction score
Do you know where I could find a nice dark brown museum calf belt to match my JLs shoes without spending $650 in JL's belts ?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Luck with that rexet, it's my mission for more than a 3 months now.

Beside some used JL belts that pop up from time to time, nothing else shows up. I don't know about you, but the feeling I am wearing someones used belt and paying 300 USD for it doesn't sound good to me.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NICE FIND @Bic Pentameter ! Too bad they are not shipping outside the US. I wanted to purchase it, but I can only select a US as shipping address.

Last edited:

rexet

Reaction score
I send a message to VASS because they do have museum calf and they also produce belts for good price ($150).
The only problem is that some people told me they produce the belt that matches the shoes you order. I am not sure they will be willing to make only one belt.
I'll keep you informed as soon as I get an answer from them.

rexet

Reaction score
I also find this weston belt beautiful, this could do the trick.
But $550 :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads