• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

Reaction score
J.M. Weston Icons collection
Rubber Sole Chelsea Boot
Black box calf size 7/ D

I needed a pair of black casual shoes to wear around the city (Paris) as I am adding more black, grey, and white to my wardrobe since moving here. Leather soles are a not viable option with their lack of traction on the varying surfaces of concrete, asphalt, pavers, stones, steel hole covers, while also dealing with rain and wet sidewalks from the city constantly cleaning every few days and the gardians daily cleaning in front of their buildings.

I looked at the collaboration Chelsea boot with Antarès that has water resistant leather and a chunkier rubber sole, but decided this boot offered more year round versatility.

The socks are SmartWool and the pants are Todd Snyder Japanese selvedge denim.

20240106_102723.jpg
20240106_102658.jpg
20240106_102757.jpg
20240106_102924.jpg

Denar78

Reaction score
Are your uk size 7E shoes quite snug?
I am a uk size 7G(Church's) but I am pretty roomy in JMW 180 size 6D.
7E fit very good at C&J, JL and EG. Church’s is a different story. I hadn’t mentioned Church’s not bring in additional complexity but let’s go :)

I have a pair of Consul 7F (good fit), Oslo 6,5F (good fit), Shannon 7F (my feet swim in these- I have to put on extra thick socks) and the Welwyn boots 7F (too loose just like the Shannon).

My first pair was the Oslo in 7G (136 last I believe) which is a very nice and sleek last but the size was definitely too roomy for me.

Rebus

Reaction score
Rubber Sole Chelsea Boot
Black box calf size 7/ D

I needed a pair of black casual shoes to wear around the city (Paris) as I am adding more black, grey, and white to my wardrobe since moving here. Leather soles are a not viable option with their lack of traction on the varying surfaces of concrete, asphalt, pavers, stones, steel hole covers, while also dealing with rain and wet sidewalks from the city constantly cleaning every few days and the gardians daily cleaning in front of their buildings.

I looked at the collaboration Chelsea boot with Antarès that has water resistant leather and a chunkier rubber sole, but decided this boot offered more year round versatility.

View attachment 2105427 View attachment 2105429 View attachment 2105431 View attachment 2105433
Any thoughts to share on them? I'm considering picking up a pair.

kylepw

Reaction score
Rubber Sole Chelsea Boot
Black box calf size 7/ D

View attachment 2105427 View attachment 2105429 View attachment 2105431 View attachment 2105433
I have these in leather sole and love them so much I’m thinking about adding a rubber sole for ****** weather days.

Reaction score
Any thoughts to share on them? I'm considering picking up a pair.
I have not had them long enough to give an opinion on their durability. I commented on the sizing earlier in this thread. I am wearing them around my apartment for a few hours each day during an initial break in period right now. I have a pair of Bowen brown Chelsea boots that have a leather sole that I bought in Paris quite a few years ago and wore as part of my office wardrobe back in the DC area. The soles on the Bowen are thinner and were more flexible right out of the box. The Westons do require a bit of break in with the leather insole and leather outsole that the rubber layer is attached to.

I was looking at some side zip or Chelsea style minimalist Japanese boots by Rolling Dub Trio and by Addict (I have the AD-02L jacket in black horse), but I really wanted to be able to size in person before purchasing. The JM Weston Chelsea has the same minimal look in box calf as the Japanese boots and the practically of a rubber sole. Plus, I am contributing to my new country's economy as well and buying "local". The visible finishing is excellent and these boots fill a hole in my collection as I transition to adding black and gray into my Parisian wardrobe. The black box calf feels wonderful.

I have been wearing New Balance 990v6 Made in America shoes in gray (a staple of stylish men's shoe wear here) and my AE Higgins Mill boots in black, I needed something else in between for casual wear that wasn't a traditional heavy boot or sneaker. Most of my many shoes and boots are in shades of brown as my tech entrepreneur career was based on a casual wardrobe of blazers and trousers in khakis, browns, blues, and olives. I was never really a fan of black before moving to Paris, I had always found it quite boring. My only few pairs of black shoes were worn occasionally with some suits or with my tux at charity galas. But, I guess the Parisians how won me over and I have become fond of a black pallet now.

These minimalist boots pair well with my RGT Silveridge Green Monster selvedge and the lighter weight Todd Snyder Japanese selvedge or with lightweight cotton trousers.

In time, I can follow up with a long term review after next fall.

Reaction score
Any thoughts/experience with new "all-terrain" Antarès Chelsea Boot vs the Rubber Sole Chelsea Boot? Former's sole seems a touch thicker and the leather more matte finish. I wonder if the practicality overrides the aesthetics? @75009 You try the Antares?
View attachment 2112125

View attachment 2112127
Yes, I tried them on. Fit was exactly the same as the regular Chelsea. The leather was a bit more matt in finish. The sole was just a tad bit bulkier. I already have black leather water resistant boots, so I opted for the thinner traditional rubber sole version. There is some co-branding on the pull tabs. Strangely they specifically said that these boots are not for horse riding.

FYI, it is sales (soldes) time now in Paris, but not for these. There are some great deals on the Golf and Half Hunter in the ankle high style right now.

kylepw

Reaction score
Yes, I tried them on. Fit was exactly the same as the regular Chelsea. The leather was a bit more matt in finish. The sole was just a tad bit bulkier. I already have black leather water resistant boots, so I opted for the thinner traditional rubber sole version. There is some co-branding on the pull tabs. Strangely they specifically said that these boots are not for horse riding.

FYI, it is sales (soldes) time now in Paris, but not for these. There are some great deals on the Golf and Half Hunter in the ankle high style right now.
Thanks for the input. Did you notice any difference in shape/weight? I'm leaning towards the normal rubber sole as it looks sleeker and I don't plan to be out in the rain without an umbrella.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Did you notice any difference in shape/weight? I'm leaning towards the normal rubber sole as it looks sleeker and I don't plan to be out in the rain without an umbrella.
The last shape is the same. I don't recall feeling a weight difference. Maybe the Antares is barely slightly heavier, because it is slightly thicker. For me, it was all about the box calf leather and slightly reduced silhouette of the sole. Depending on what you want, either is a good choice.

Denar78

Reaction score
The last shape is the same. I don't recall feeling a weight difference. Maybe the Antares is barely slightly heavier, because it is slightly thicker. For me, it was all about the box calf leather and slightly reduced silhouette of the sole. Depending on what you want, either is a good choice.
In case you want to sell them a few years down the line for any reason whatsoever, you might be able to get a better deal with the regular Chelsea which is one of their regular main collection models. I know this is a side concern but anyway

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Rubber Sole Chelsea Boot
Black box calf size 7/ D

I was looking at those. May I kindly ask which size you wear with C&J, Carmina, Lobb or Edward Green?

Cheers!
Paul

tuna roll

Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place to ask this, but - do you guys know exactly which Saphir product is the JM Weston "Shoe Cream"?

Last year I bought the black 180 loafers at their Marais store and also the matching black cream. I was told it was made by Saphir but I'm not sure exactly which product. From JM's website description I assume it's Saphir 1925 Creme (or Pommadier) but I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads