• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Pedro Pascal wearing JMM?

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 154

JessBob

Reaction score
Is Pedro Pascal wearing JMM?

haha no we had this discussion on Golden Globe night on a different forum. if it's the same frame he was wearing then, it's Oliver Peoples though it did look like JMMs to some (my newbie eyes included). someone pointed out they were OP and another person copy/pasted the tweet that OP sent out claiming PP, Billy Eilish and others for the night

thass_hot

Reaction score
Ok. Here’s my issue. Tell me what all you fellers think. In the past, I’ve purchased frames in colorways that weren’t my absolute ideal because I waited too long on colorways that I liked but were no longer available. So, I bought not knowing if the frame would even be in production anymore or if a subsequent colorway would be released that I liked more. Case in point: I bought the Mr. Porter Jaggers at a time when I couldn’t find any new Jaggers in stock, and the Mr. Porter colorway was “good enough.” Well, flash forward a few months, and JMM (Jacques Marie Mage) releases Jagger colorways that I consider the bees knees. Now I’m left looking at my Jagger with a degree of contempt.

It would make it a whole lot easier if they would release their long term plans for frames and colorways. I’m just saying. I’m I being unreasonable or hard headed?
I gut your point, but not knowing what’s the upcoming cw’s that’s how JMM keeps a lot of people buying their models!

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
Sorry. I know I’ve been on a posting rampage here, but I have one more observation. Have all my friends here noticed that the JMM (Jacques Marie Mage) world wide website has stopped showing every frame on a model? There was a rugged looking feller who used to be the standard model for all frames. It helped gauge size, for me a least. I’ll bet it’s a cost saving measure for more profit. Just a hunch.
Their marketing and online team has changed quite a bit over the last two years so I expect that's a lot of it. Also, the frames sell themselves so they don't need to spend time photographing every frame on a model at this point.

I have to admit, the limited edition thing makes me giggle at this point. 400-500 pieces per colourway is huge numbers.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
I always wonder where and how they make those measurements, especially the bridge. It seems widely variable among makers. This frame in particular doesn’t look to have a 26mm wide bridge. Also, JMM (Jacque Marie Mage) measurements seem inconsistently labeled, even on the same frames.
What a lot of people don't realise is that this measurement includes the material either side of the space under the keyhole so 26mm is about normal for a chunky frame.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their marketing and online team has changed quite a bit over the last two years so I expect that's a lot of it. Also, the frames sell themselves so they don't need to spend time photographing every frame on a model at this point.

I have to admit, the limited edition thing makes me giggle at this point. 400-500 pieces per colourway is huge numbers.

They don't need to, but it would be nice to continue a good tradition and it would give some orientation to new possible buyers.

Don't know of other brands' numbers, but 500 pieces does not look a huge batch to me, in a world of billions of people.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
They don't need to, but it would be nice to continue a good tradition and it would give some orientation to new possible buyers.

Don't know of other brands' numbers, but 500 pieces does not look a huge batch to me, in a world of billions of people.
Research has thought me that a small brand in its first few years produces between 60 and 250 pieces per style. This is usually broken down into roughly 30-50 pieces per colour. I listened to an interview with Katy Vada recently who backed this up. A medium sized brand produces around 450-500 pieces per style per season so in actual fact Jaques Marie Mage are producing a lot of frames, it's just they were the first brand to start numbering them. In my opinion collectors should be more focused on collecting the frames instead of looking at the numbers on the side because the numbers mean nothing. What's great about JMM is that they design a frame and a year later it's gone. I'd love to get my hands on a Felix but it's been gone for years. Only available secondhand at an overinflated price on Ebay.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
What a lot of people don't realise is that this measurement includes the material either side of the space under the keyhole so 26mm is about normal for a chunky frame.
Correct. The bridge is the measurement between both lenses, not the area where your nose sits.

Pureneat

Reaction score
Research has thought me that a small brand in its first few years produces between 60 and 250 pieces per style. This is usually broken down into roughly 30-50 pieces per colour. I listened to an interview with Katy Vada recently who backed this up. A medium sized brand produces around 450-500 pieces per style per season so in actual fact Jaques Marie Mage are producing a lot of frames, it's just they were the first brand to start numbering them. In my opinion collectors should be more focused on collecting the frames instead of looking at the numbers on the side because the numbers mean nothing. What's great about JMM is that they design a frame and a year later it's gone. I'd love to get my hands on a Felix but it's been gone for years. Only available secondhand at an overinflated price on Ebay.
Does anybody here give a rats arse about the numbers? All we want is the model and colour Non?
I presume it’s JMMs way of demonstrating that they are actually limited in number,

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
Does anybody here give a rats arse about the numbers? All we want is the model and colour Non?
I presume it’s JMMs way of demonstrating that they are actually limited in number,
Are the colors and shapes getting less interesting or is that just me? I feel like a lot of the new colors are missing a translucent layer on the temples so not really worth the price. They are probably geared at selling at a high margin online or its the beginning of the JMM cost cutting.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The numbers for me are in a distant place on the priority list, a long way behind shape, size, colour, wiring, build quality etc.

As I’ve said here before if I see a frame in a style, size and colour that I really like and it fits me I’ll jump on it and only later reflect that it’s somewhat cool to know there are only X number of people on the planet with the same shades but it’s not really a driver of my desires.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the colors and shapes getting less interesting or is that just me? I feel like a lot of the new colors are missing a translucent layer on the temples so not really worth the price. They are probably geared at selling at a high margin online or its the beginning of the JMM cost cutting.
Been saying this for a while. Every so often there’s a more exotic colour but I’m done with blacks and browns and even the less obvious colours like greens are often very subdued. Makes for faster sales obviously but for enthusiasts like us I’d bet we have several versions of black and brown tort in our collections and look for something a bit more stimulating. I was contemplating the other day how rare stingray is (orange!) and I’d welcome something like that.

JessBob

Reaction score
Just scrolled through the new lookbook for the Illicit spring campaign. Mighty impressive.

My bank account and credit card are both glad that I'm honest enough to know I won't look nearly as cool in those new frames as the models in the lookbook

Here's the lookbook link if you haven't seen it already:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads