• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was wondering about this as well; I have only ever received a 20% coupon once, and it was a very long time ago. And it was expired by the time it arrived.

From the history that I see on this board, seems like coupons are sent to people who dont usually order. For us die-hards that order all the time, why send a coupon? they know we're going to eventually cop anyway.

thats the way i see it.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
if you have a jcrew card sometimes they'll email you a 20% code or send one out with your billing statement. been a while since the last one though, and didn't see any in the last catalog. but I think the one before that I got a code in the catalog.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
I wouldn't say this is true as my purchases are very infrequent and I never receive any coupons.
I was wondering about this as well; I have only ever received a 20% coupon once, and it was a very long time ago. And it was expired by the time it arrived.

From the history that I see on this board, seems like coupons are sent to people who dont usually order. For us die-hards that order all the time, why send a coupon? they know we're going to eventually cop anyway.

thats the way i see it.

That makes sense for card holders to receive discounts. For everyone else, we'll just have to be content with the 30% or 40% sale codes..
if you have a jcrew card sometimes they'll email you a 20% code or send one out with your billing statement. been a while since the last one though, and didn't see any in the last catalog. but I think the one before that I got a code in the catalog.

hastur

Reaction score

anxiously awaiting the bowery wool pants (#44448) in Navy. The charcoal version was super soft.

some of their full retail prices for these made in china items are getting out of hand.

J. Crew prices are getting way too high for what they are, but I can't deny that I like some of the looks that they've put together. Always dig F/W more than S/S. It's too bad none of the stuff fits half as well in real life as it does in the lookbooks, though. But I'm really just :deadhorse: at this point.

I agree 100%. With almost no real coupon codes floating around aside from free shipping, it seems to me like they're pricing themselves out of their own market.

I mean... $130 for a made in china cotton hoodie? Really? Who is gonna buy that?

Last edited:

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it always looks better in their lookbooks, the photos are photoshopped and clothing is pinned from the back to flatter the model.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

I agree 100%. With almost no real coupon codes floating around aside from free shipping, it seems to me like they're pricing themselves out of their own market.

I mean... $130 for a made in china cotton hoodie? Really? Who is gonna buy that?

I know the whole made in China debate has been hit a lot of times, but for J.Crew's case, they often use quality materials despite china based manufacturing. For example, many of their wool sweaters (if the description says something like "made of the finest italian wool") actually comes from Loro Piana. They just aren't allowed to use the Loro Piana name, as the knits do not pass through the same extensive QC standards. Additionally, I believe Piana sets a minimum price on garments using their name.

Some of the J.Crew knits are around $200. The $1000+ prices at Bergdoff probably won't let you down, but by living with J.Crew you're essentially getting a garment made of the same materials, sans extensive QC checks and small-batch tailoring, at 1/5 to 1/10 of the cost. That really is not a horrible price. You can try the knit on to make sure it fits and you should be able to look at the stitching and see if it's up to par with your standards.

That said, certain items (t-shirts, hoodies) are marked up significantly (as with any retailer). These are the items that go on sale. I've never paid more than $25 for a J.Crew hoodie.

Last edited:

Blacula

Reaction score
How is the construction on J.Crew coats? I want a new coat and was eyeing this one. I wear a similar jacket in wool and black, but I am thinking the J.Crew coat's shoulder pocket is one too many.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how dress pants from J Crew seem to fit? My jcrew jeans are vintage slim so I'm not sure what that would translate into their dress pants.

Last edited:

warrenjl1

Reaction score

Does anyone know how dress pants from J Crew seem to fit? My jcrew jeans are vintage slim so I'm not sure what that would translate into for their dress pants.

I don't know much about their jeans, but I wear a 30 in their shorts and wear a 30 in their dress/suit pants too. Still get them tapered just a bit. I'm probably more of a true 33" waist, but wear a 32" in most everything. Dockers Waders, Epaulet chinos, Levi's 501s, etc.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know how dress pants from J Crew seem to fit? My jcrew jeans are vintage slim so I'm not sure what that would translate into their dress pants.

depends. what are you looking at, the urban slim, or the classic fit?

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

depends. what are you looking at, the urban slim, or the classic fit?

That's kind of what I'm trying to determine but I don't know how each one fits. I don't want skin tight but I would like them to be slim (kind of like their ludlow suit pants).

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you want the Urban Slim. It's got more of a tapered leg than the classic fit; however, I find them to fit about the same on my waist and thighs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads